Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 12:04 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,981,948 times

Advertisements

94-Year-Old California Woman Hazel Soares Graduates College
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 07:20 PM

28 posts, read 60,845 times
Go for it...

Old 06-17-2011, 09:48 AM

4,620 posts, read 15,021,451 times
I'm over 50 and I just went back to school. My reason is a career change from stay-at-home mother to working outside the home. Will I get my money back once I have my degree and start working? Probably not, maybe I will - who knows. But that's not the point at all. Every dime I'm paying for tuition right now is so worth it -- my previously semi-stagnant brain is now so engaged in thinking that it's life changing. I feel a ton more confidence; I feel more worldly; and my interests in many new things have either increased or opened. I'm a much-more lively person to be around these days, and that makes going to school and paying tuition a no-brainer decision for me.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:10 PM

141 posts, read 422,663 times
Completing a degree program really is a wonderful accomplishment, a feather in one's cap, and a reason to be proud - especially when done with true effort and intent (versus doing the basic minimum necessary to crawl through the program).

Go for it and enjoy the ride.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:54 AM

2 posts, read 17,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
I'm quickly approaching the age of 50 and now feel like I'm ready to go to college and get a degree. I'm just not sure it will benefit me in the long run. I hope to retire in 10-12 years and am not sure it will be worth it cost-wise. My employer won't pay for it because I want to get a degree in an area out of my field.

Has anyone here gone back to school and gotten their degree after 50?

What do you feel the pros and cons were in doing so?

Is it possible to get scholarships when you are older or they primarily for the younger students?

Anything else you can interject, please do so.
So, LDH, did you go?
I'm over 50 and I'm in my second semester. Glad I did it.
Will it ever be renumerative? Who knows? Hope so, but I won't
count on it. I haven't quit or cut back on my job so the schedule
is a bit intense as I am full-time at both. Fortunately, my work
schedule is flexible. But I love school and glad I'm finally going even
at this late date! I'll probably still be working well into my 70s... so
maybe it will serve me in that. I have to look at it for personal
satisfaction and that I'm getting!

Old 04-07-2013, 02:44 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,286,062 times
Very interesting, for me, topic. I'll be retiring in 2-4 yrs at the age of 51-54. I have no degree, however I do enjoy history and learning. So one of my plans is to attend my local community college and work on just an AA Degree. Probably just in General Education. To be quite honest, I probably won't try all that hard and just squeak by. I'm not there to impress anyone and turn in A Grade papers; I'll be there just to learn. Poor grades won't effect me financially, I am not looking for a new job.

I just want too learn, without all of the extra work.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:45 PM

24,147 posts, read 32,631,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I'm considering going back for a second degree next year (49). It can't be any worse than feeling you are at a dead end in your current job & education is never a bad thing. Follow your heart, remember City Data is a small representation of opinion.

Wish I could rep you! Let's say I owe you one.

The OP was not asking about "return on investment".

We live once, to my knowledge, and if a degree is something that you want, go for it!

Old 11-10-2013, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,512 times
Default Hazel

If Hazel can do it @ 94, I know I can I'll use it for motivation......

Old 11-10-2013, 02:13 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
I'm quickly approaching the age of 50 and now feel like I'm ready to go to college and get a degree. I'm just not sure it will benefit me in the long run. I hope to retire in 10-12 years and am not sure it will be worth it cost-wise. My employer won't pay for it because I want to get a degree in an area out of my field.

Has anyone here gone back to school and gotten their degree after 50?

What do you feel the pros and cons were in doing so?

Is it possible to get scholarships when you are older or they primarily for the younger students?

Anything else you can interject, please do so.
I went back to college and entered a graduate program at 45. Not too far off from 50 and earned two Masters degrees.

I would imagine that scholarships are available to older students although it is probably easier for younger students to find them. I'd get in touch with the financial aid office and see if they can point you in the right direction.

Good luck in your journey!

Old 11-10-2013, 02:23 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,475,188 times
I know a man who owned a car dealership, retired at 75, enrolled at a nearby university and graduated 4 years later. It bothered him that his wife was a college graduate and he wasn't. Now he is. He is now 96 and very active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities