Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 07:51 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,797,346 times

Advertisements

So here are my options:

1) Apply in Fall to go to a school 25 minutes away and major in sociology.

2) Commute to a school an hour away and start this Fall or Spring.

3) Go to a local private university (all though I think people from Antioch University Santa Barbara and Brandman/Chapman University aren't getting jobs)

4) Go to my school 25 minutes and major in History

My major is sociology and I want to go into drug and alcohol counselling for a county government at home.

If I got a history degree, could I could go into sales? I have a relative who is a manger at a store and I could work for his store or I can get a recommendation from him to work for another store in a nearby town/city.

I really would like to be a drug and alcohol counsellor. But I'm not sure if my plan will work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 08:35 PM

5,727 posts, read 10,153,938 times
I have a coz who has a degree in sociology.

She can't get a job.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:51 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,601,928 times
You really need to do more research. Sociology is too general - look for a school that offers an actual program in substance abuse counseling or something similar.

Don't bother with history. You will never get a job. Make sure you major is really going to work for you when you graduate. Otherwise, you waste everyone's time and a lot of money.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:53 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,176,379 times
I know people with every degree you can imagine who can't get a job. Don't let the economy right now determine what you major in, especially since you seem to want to do something that's more of a calling, not, clock in, work, and get the hell out when 5 rolls around.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:54 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,601,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
I know people with every degree you can imagine who can't get a job. Don't let the economy right now determine what you major in, especially since you seem to want to do something that's more of a calling, not, clock in, work, and get the hell out when 5 rolls around.
Then you must not know anyone with a degree in computer science or computer engineering. There are many degrees with a high probability of getting well-paying work immediately after school. Most people just choose any old major because they can't figure out what those degrees are and don't want to put in the time to do the research necessary. College is a huge investment, and like any other investment, if you make it cavalierly, without really putting in the time to figure out how to get a return on the investment, then you won't.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:31 PM

18,737 posts, read 33,520,468 times
For drug and alcohol counseling, I think you need a CAC (certified alcohol counselor) which is a separate program, not a degree. I think it's aimed at people who are in recovery but have no degree and want to work as a counselor. It involves something like 1,000 hours of supervised internship/work.
I am not sure if California has different requiremetns or if it's a national thing.
If you wanted to get a 4-year degree to aim at the CAC, psychology would likely be the best.
I'd talk to different rehabs and detoxes in an informational interview to see what kind of people they hire, what kind of backgroudns.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:26 AM

Requirements in California to become a drug and alcohol counsellor are to get a bachelor's degree and your certificaiton.

Otherwise I was thinking of going into sales.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:18 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,240,481 times
Unless you are planning on getting a PhD, I am not sure why you would major in sociology or history.

Pick a major where you learn a skill (accounting, comp sci, engineering, finance)

Old 06-13-2011, 07:22 PM

What about sales? My uncles company is Grainger. But if I do sociology I can do drug and alcohol counseling or sales

Old 06-13-2011, 07:33 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,859,946 times
Write down all these options on little pieces of paper, put them in a hat and pull one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities