Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:54 PM

83 posts, read 247,190 times

Advertisements

I've heard everywhere that you should do an internship while you are in college that it's the only way to gain experience and blah blah.

So I applied for this accounting internship and I got it but I'm starting to think that it's a just a waste of time. Since I'm only going to be there for 3 months I don't think they are in a hurry to train me and since they are not paying me, they could care less.I have only been doing mindless tasks, filling out spreadsheets, deposits, making copies, shredding papers....

I will apply for other internships but only in the Spring/Fall semester and only paid internships. I think that the problem with unpaid internships is that they are basically free labor and why would a company waste their time and money to train someone that is only there for summer? It makes no sense!!

Have you guys had a summer internship where you actually got relevant experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 09:57 PM

37,149 posts, read 42,245,999 times
My own daughter had to do that even AFTER she graduated, before she found a paid position. You can meet people who can help you if you have any kind of personality at all, shows a desire to work and get ahead, teaches you that even when you get a "real" job you will no doubt have to do scut work and smile while you do it, and it looks good on a resume.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:46 PM

I guess I just expected something different.... I actually had a "real" job and I quit to try to get relevant experience in my field. But I was actually given more responsibilities and since it was a large company with clients all over the U.S. I actually interacted with more "important" people.

Why are employers even interested in these internships?? Now that I know what they are about, I would rather hire someone who had a real job and not a summer internship.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:56 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,304,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isostasy View Post
I will apply for other internships but only in the Spring/Fall semester and only paid internships. I think that the problem with unpaid internships is that they are basically free labor and why would a company waste their time and money to train someone that is only there for summer? It makes no sense!!

Have you guys had a summer internship where you actually got relevant experience?
In past years, we hired interns in both the engineering and accounting functions. We paid the interns $15/ hour 40 hours per week.

In engineering, the interns did time studies and gathered data for most of the summer.

In accounting, the interns assisted with the preparation of the budget and also worked with some of the more experienced employees to help them improve their Excel and Access skills. They set up spreadsheets.

I will NOT hire unpaid interns. I think that borders on exploitation.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,753 posts, read 58,116,312 times
For undergrad accounting, you should be able to find the equivalent experience in a paid position. I trust you can dig up something within your field and get paid for it. I have done free internships, but only when changing career path and for non-profits. The connections and responsibilities (unique contributions to the company / agency.. NOT busy work. This was all negotiated BEFORE I walked in the door. The exposure and benefit to company / agency and myself was very helpful to each.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:20 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,460,492 times
It also helps you to create connections for post-grad, when you are trying to find a job. We had an intern who later became a manager at my place of employment. I had both internships and line jobs in my field during the summers off and I found that internships gave me more flexibility to learn management styles and gain a better understanding of the environment.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In past years, we hired interns in both the engineering and accounting functions. We paid the interns $15/ hour 40 hours per week.

In engineering, the interns did time studies and gathered data for most of the summer.

In accounting, the interns assisted with the preparation of the budget and also worked with some of the more experienced employees to help them improve their Excel and Access skills. They set up spreadsheets.

I will NOT hire unpaid interns. I think that borders on exploitation.

You know I read something a while back that said that congress was looking into getting rid of unpaid internships because a lot of times interns are only used to get coffee, make copies, etc... and companies are basically taking advantage of them.

I just think that it makes more sense to pay interns because the intern will do a better job and since the company is investing money they'll do a better job training the intern. But if you are paying someone, it doesn't make sense to just hire them for a summer, in my opinion.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
For undergrad accounting, you should be able to find the equivalent experience in a paid position. I trust you can dig up something within your field and get paid for it. I have done free internships, but only when changing career path and for non-profits. The connections and responsibilities (unique contributions to the company / agency.. NOT busy work. This was all negotiated BEFORE I walked in the door. The exposure and benefit to company / agency and myself was very helpful to each.
Well actually I am working with a nonprofit and it's not so much the fact that I'm not getting paid but I just thought that I would be doing more accounting related tasks.

The other day for example, I spent the whole day shredding papers and filing. How is this "relevant" experience? Well on the interview they told me I would be helping with payroll, budget, etc... and they also said I might do other tasks like helping with hiring packages and stuff. But I didn't think clerical work would be my MAIN duty.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
It also helps you to create connections for post-grad, when you are trying to find a job. We had an intern who later became a manager at my place of employment. I had both internships and line jobs in my field during the summers off and I found that internships gave me more flexibility to learn management styles and gain a better understanding of the environment.
I know that internships sometimes lead to a job offer.... but I guess I just don't understand why employers consider them so important. If I were an employer, I think it would make more sense to hire someone for a part-time job maybe for a year and then make an offer. How is a summer enough to know if the student will make a good employee?

Like for instance, the other interns are always missing days or they'll go for only 3 hrs. If they have a test they won't show up. If someone missed days like that on my other job, they would have been fired immediately. I'm also taking summer classes but I won't miss a day just because I have a test and I have to study. I guess working in a "real" job gave me good work ethics... which these interns aren't learning this summer.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:15 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,212,626 times
It is a step above having nothing during this time period on your resume. If it makes any difference, most people in this economy competing even for entry-level jobs have more experience than most undergraduates which puts them between the devil and the deep blue sea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities