Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 04:54 PM

133 posts, read 317,027 times

Advertisements

My son is a computer engineering junior. He has had a few interviews for internships but so far no offers. His grades are average. He has a career fair coming up mid February, in the mean time I have an acquaintance that is a Civil Engineer for he state. I spoke with him and he is really trying hard to use his connections to try to get my son an internship working with the state, the job would be working with computers, but as my son says, not relevant to computer engineering. My acquaintance told my son that if he really goes out of his way and is able to get him on, that he would like him to commit to the state internship. It kind of puts him between a rock and a hard place, his father and I know what the economy is like, and how hard it is to get anything decent job wise, but try telling that to a 21 year old. I understand that he does not want to turn down a "possible computer internship", but in today's economy something is better than nothing, our opinion is that even though this job may not be relevant to his chosen field it is still a state job, which we think would be impressive on a resume regardless. We also realize he will have to learn from his mistakes, any opinions will be appreciated. If he takes the state internship and commits to it, and then finds out he has to turn down an engineering internship because he is already committed, I will feel bad, on the other hand I will feel bad if my acquaintance goes out of his way and my son would take the job only to turn it down if he is offered a relevant engineering internship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 08:27 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times
That is tricky! We have a somewhat similar situation where a friend of our has already recommended our son for a very selective internship with a well regarded company. He applied for it and sent our friend an e-mail asking for her help. Son has excellent grades but is only a sophomore. Tonight on the phone son mentioned that he might rather stay in his college town all summer instead. He has a great shot at a systems administrator internship there. However, none of this is anywhere near a done deal. There's no way our friend would want to stick herself out there if our son turns down even the interview. ugh.

In your situation, I would encourage your son to let the whole thing play out a little more. If he gets something more relevant he can back out of the state job with that as the explanation. It's understandable that your friend would like a commitment but if there is something more in line with your son's career path, wouldn't he understand? If nothing else turns up, I can't imagine why he wouldn't do the state job. ANY job experience is better then none and he will learn from it.

BTW, there are many internship search sites out there. I would not wait for a career fair. I know my son has applied to at least a dozen positions since last fall. This is a great one for tech's - Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities