Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 06:30 PM

769 posts, read 2,054,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbrown View Post
So you're saying the FL degree would hold you back even if you have a track record of success in your job in NY? As someone with a FL degree, that is really discouraging to hear. Competition would be high, no doubt, but as you mentioned, with 8 million people there should be a lot of the higher level positions available, even if the percentage of people that get them is small. The definition of quality of life is subjective, I think. If you're single, prefer to take the subway or walk than drive, want access to more variety in nightlife and restaurants then by that definition the quality of life is better in NY. If you're married, prefer to drive, live in suburban home, are content with more limited nightlife options, want easier access to the beach year-round, and a more relaxed pace, then Tampa would offer a better quality of life.
Do a job search for finance positions (corporate, not wall street) in the top employers in NYC. Even for financial analysts (so not even at the management level yet) many of them REQUIRE degrees from top business schools in the job description. And I'm sorry but UF and Miami are not going to get you into one of those jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 06:39 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,935,907 times
Only people from the south make comparisons about north and south. And based on your comments, it sounds like you think everyone from the north has worthless degrees from the University of Phoenix.

I don't think it will be your degree that is the challenge to your success, but rather your attitude.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:57 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,536,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Do a job search for finance positions (corporate, not wall street) in the top employers in NYC. Even for financial analysts (so not even at the management level yet) many of them REQUIRE degrees from top business schools in the job description. And I'm sorry but UF and Miami are not going to get you into one of those jobs.
You probably need to look at the rankings a bit. Many of the top accounting programs are not in the NE. Since he is a CPA with an MBA he clearly did his undergrad in accounting and then his MBA to get enough classes so he can sit.

So seeing that UF is top 17th in undergrad accounting per US news and top 50 in MBA your claim is a bit off. What do I know though, except a couple classmates that worked in NYC for EY. One comes down to hire a couple kids each year from UF's program.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:45 AM

5,343 posts, read 6,183,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You probably need to look at the rankings a bit. Many of the top accounting programs are not in the NE. Since he is a CPA with an MBA he clearly did his undergrad in accounting and then his MBA to get enough classes so he can sit.

So seeing that UF is top 17th in undergrad accounting per US news and top 50 in MBA your claim is a bit off. What do I know though, except a couple classmates that worked in NYC for EY. One comes down to hire a couple kids each year from UF's program.
I think he is referring to the good ol' boys club...the graduates of Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, etc.

I also strongly doubt they have that in their job description. Perhaps it says graduate of top school preferred, but I strongly doubt it is a requirement...seeing as how that could potentially cause a few discrimination lawsuits.

I work in the selection area and we are taught to make job descriptions and requirements as low as possible. You are told to write the requirements based on a person who is barely qualified for the position. This way you avoid unnecessary discrimination lawsuits when someone comes in and challenges the possibility that a lesser qualified person could do the job. This is why you often see requirements like this....master's degree...PhD preferred....or bachelor's degree...MBA preferred, etc.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:13 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,536,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I think he is referring to the good ol' boys club...the graduates of Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, etc.

I also strongly doubt they have that in their job description. Perhaps it says graduate of top school preferred, but I strongly doubt it is a requirement...seeing as how that could potentially cause a few discrimination lawsuits.

I work in the selection area and we are taught to make job descriptions and requirements as low as possible. You are told to write the requirements based on a person who is barely qualified for the position. This way you avoid unnecessary discrimination lawsuits when someone comes in and challenges the possibility that a lesser qualified person could do the job. This is why you often see requirements like this....master's degree...PhD preferred....or bachelor's degree...MBA preferred, etc.
I'm not saying that Ivy's won't have the most people working in NYC. There are a pretty good amount of people working in NYC from top 20 publics though.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:03 PM

66 posts, read 183,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Only people from the south make comparisons about north and south. And based on your comments, it sounds like you think everyone from the north has worthless degrees from the University of Phoenix.

I don't think it will be your degree that is the challenge to your success, but rather your attitude.
I'm pretty sure what the OP meant was he/she doesn't want his/her degrees to hold as much weight as a for-profit institution's degree would in a market he/she's unfamiliar with.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post

You people don't listen. Degrees from those schools are a requirement for finance jobs at the best employers in NYC- I promise. It is not discrimination. And just because someone is a CPA does not mean they only want to work in public accounting or even in accounting. Many CPAs move on the higher paying corporate finance jobs.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post

Well if OP wants to work relatively low paying, boring accounting jobs all his/her life then have at it. But many accountants have higher aspirations and move on to corporate finance roles, which was the ones requiring the degrees from top business schools. I never saw one that said top 50 by the way. They said top tier, top 20, or even top 10.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:49 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,875,412 times
You just don't get it. This thread is not "How do I get a job at an elite NYC corporate finance department, investment bank, hedge fund, or private equity firm?" Yeah, if you have the credentials, connections, and ambitions, go for it.

This is a "How do I get a job in NYC" thread. So no, a top 10 or 20 degree is not necessary. I had a client, GE, that probably hired maybe 30 entry level people a year for jobs that fits your definition of a elite corporate finance position in NYC and Conn. Of course for those jobs, they basically hired at the very top schools or the very top students at highly rated regional schools.

But then again, GE (which owns a ton of financial companies) probably hired hundreds of accountants and non-elite finance professionals at their various units throughout the country. So yeah, getting a degree from a Big East school isn't going to get you a job as a trader in their treasury dept. or be part of a task force to determine whether they should divest a subsidiary, but they aren't exactly hiring Ivy Leaguers to be underwriters at their reinsurance subsidiary or be the person that determines whether a customer is credit worthy to buy $100,000 of equipment on credit.

Those aren't exactly high flying jobs, but often lead to decent upper middle class lifestyles which plenty of folks would be OK with. Those are the vast majority of the finance jobs that are available to most ordinary people, but I agree those jobs are still not easy to get because schools spit out tons of Fin majors a year. Most of the entry level finance jobs aren't even pure finance jobs, more on the periphery of finance.

Giving advice about elitist jobs to a person that doesn't have the background to credibily get one of those positions is counterproductive. It's the kind of advice 22 year olds give on those GMAT or MBA applicant discussion boards where everyone thinks they are getting into Harvard and talk smack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities