Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 09:45 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,879,385 times

Advertisements

My friend's daughter is interested in Davidson, Wake Forest and Washington and Lee. She loves everything about the south. She lived in Manhattan her whole. If she gets into one of these schools she will be going. Any idea what it will be like for her? Will she be an outcast or fit right in? She's a straight-laced, clean-cut, and sporty girl, but she can be described as a real New Yorker. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 01:49 AM

455 posts, read 1,399,866 times
The south isn't another dimension....LOL. As long as she isn't rude or stuck up then she'll be fine. She might even want to adopt it as her home one day. Can't beat low cost of leaving, open spaces, fantastic job markets and better weather. And let's not forget the lack of raging liberals. Oh how I love the south....LOL

Last edited by curtisc83; 12-29-2012 at 02:00 AM..

Old 12-29-2012, 03:33 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,296,005 times
Are you serious? She will be fine.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:04 AM

455 posts, read 1,399,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
The south isn't another dimension....LOL. As long as she isn't rude or stuck up then she'll be fine. She might even want to adopt it as her home one day. Can't beat low cost of leaving, open spaces, fantastic job markets and better weather. And let's not forget the lack of raging liberals. Oh how I love the south....LOL
Opps I meant low cost of LIVING...LOL....stupid autocorrect.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:10 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,407,796 times
It is going to depend on the college more then just "the south" I went to college and a bunch of my friends were New Englanders and a good number of folks were from the Northeast generally. They liked it down here save for the summers. In my time down here I have met a bunch of Wake and Davidson alums and go to grad school with a bunch of the latter. They are nice people, but I get the impression that Davidson especially has a competitive atmosphere.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:03 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,592,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
My friend's daughter is interested in Davidson, Wake Forest and Washington and Lee. She loves everything about the south. She lived in Manhattan her whole. If she gets into one of these schools she will be going. Any idea what it will be like for her? Will she be an outcast or fit right in? She's a straight-laced, clean-cut, and sporty girl, but she can be described as a real New Yorker. Thanks.
It totally depends on her personality. If she's friendly and outgoing, then she'll be fine. If she has trouble fitting in in different situations or generally has difficulty making friends, has self-confidence issues, etc., then she'll have even more difficulty in the south. If she's a popular girl in general, then she won't suddenly be an outcast. But if she's not, it will indeed make things more difficult, maybe very difficult. I speak from experience - a real New Yorker who went to school and now live in the south - I still find it hard because I am so much louder and more outspoken than everyone else, even when I'm trying to be polite and quiet. Also, the idea of what's polite here - agree with people about everything and say what they want to hear even if it's a total lie - is weird to me and makes it hard for me to tell where I stand with people. However, I was never a great socializer, even in NY, and I think I would be fine if I had a more outgoing personality and was more confident to begin with.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:15 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,938,349 times
My husband's partner had two children graduate from Washington & Lee. Both got good educations and were happy there. My son was recruited by the football coach there and the only thing that his partner warned us about was that it was not very accepting of jews or blacks. It's not like there was over the top racism, just that blacks and jews are curiosities there and that might be uncomfortable. My son ultimately chose not to apply there.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:40 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,879,385 times
Thanks for the responses. This girl I know is half Jewish and half Catholic, which isn't that unusal in NYC. She is friendly and reserved at the same time. I think she's a real NYer, because she is one of those kids whose parents were always taking her to every play, concert, museum etc. Her group of friends are very diverse(black, asian, hispanic, indian, white, mixed) She's sophisticated in a cultural sense. She loves the south and the friendly vibe. I agree with her there. I find the south very friendly. I do remember going to Athens, GA and seeing all the girls around the sorority houses and they all were wearing these sun dresses and just had this different look than your typical Nyer who wears lots of black. Those southern girls just looked more feminine and girly girlish than they typical teen you see here in the city. Anyway, I like this kid a lot and I was thinking about her. If my own daughter wanted to go to college in the south in the future, I would be okay with it as long as I knew she would fit in.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:42 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,171,893 times
with a decent private school you're going to have a student population representing the entire country. most college campuses are fairly self-contained, too, so it probably wont be anything shockingly different

Old 12-29-2012, 05:08 PM

297 posts, read 513,300 times
Assuming this girl is a senior and will be attending college Fall 2013:

Colleges are very diverse nowadays with students attending from all over the country and globe. She could look on the schools website and see where everyone is coming from and the mix. Has she visited any of the schools she is interested in? If not, she should soon. I would think she has already turned in her apps to these schools. I know Wake had a deadline a few weeks ago to be eligible for scholarships. Most have already passed the deadline to get apps turned in for scholarships, typically December 1.

I suggest that she and/or her parents also look on College Confidential (GREAT SITE!). Lots of great info can be found there. Most depends on how active it is for each school. The school my D will be attending is VERY ACTIVE on CC and I have found a wealth of information from CC. She can find out all kinds of info here about activites for the Jewish center and Catholic center on/nearby campus.

If she plans on pledging she should already be well underway in prepping for all of the upcoming activities to rush.

The only way she will have any problem by attending a school in the South is if she is just not accepting to others and that goes no matter where she attends school. Going to college opens one up to people from all walks of life, socio-economic backgrounds, world views, ethnicities, etc. Those that are too closed minded are not going to fit in much no matter where they go. If she goes in knowing she is going to make lifelong connections and new adventures she is going to be just fine.

And she still needs to go visit, ASAP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities