Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:52 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,787,929 times

Advertisements

I was curious why someone would pursue such a degree, and found some interesting explanations on Penn's site:
Master of Liberal Arts (MLA) | Penn LPS

Honestly, it does sound like an interesting opportunity, but not one that I'd do for strictly financial reasons. It sounds like something you do for fun (full access to the library! Take interesting courses with interesting professors! Try out some new things!) or as a supplement to something else, rather than something you do for its own sake. In other words, either for fun (or because you value the intellectual stimulation and inspiration) or as a vehicle to something else. And since I think most of these programs are quite expensive and do not offer financial aid, I'd also think long and hard about doing it if cost is an issue. If money is the objective, a more specific degree is probably a better route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 11:38 PM

82 posts, read 255,997 times
It's a master of liberal arts that allows for you to focus globalization, cultural studies, liberal studies and creative writing. Several different tracks and there is financial aid and fed loans available. Most people use it for PHD, JD, and MBA degrees.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:20 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,067,615 times
I would do it if I was rich, or the degree was free. For me, the return on the investment would not be worth it.

This is coming from a guy with a BA.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:07 AM

6,456 posts, read 7,027,040 times
I looked up quite a few of the Ivys and I've noticed that a few of them offer this. Penn, Dartmouth, Harvard etc.

I checked their degree requirements and I'm sorry to say, but it looks like A LOT of fluff classes. Nothing too advanced or indepth even on the social science level. For example if you look at Penn's Globalization concentration and then compare that to Columbia's SIPA course offerings there is a HUGE difference. I can't see a serious employer looking for someone with this type of pedigree as being "equal" to that of SIPA, Georgetown, John Hopkins, Tufts so on and so fourth. The only thing a program like this brings to the table is the name stamped on the diploma.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:45 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,953,181 times
Perhaps the OP should make the distinction between enrolling in the school's "night" division and actually getting an MA from the real, prestigious day program..

Harvard has an "extension school" that offers bachelors and masters degrees through coursework offered at night, and whose admissions standards are a bit less stringent than the "regular" school. For example, to gain admission to the Extension School's MA program, one basically just needs to be a college graduate ( and then do very well in the actual program)..

There is a difference between Harvard University and the Harvard University Extension School....although, I should point out that the Extension School is perfectly good, and presents an opportunity to get a lower-cost BA or MA while continuing to work; it's actually quite popular in the Boston area..

Old 06-25-2011, 02:07 AM

82 posts, read 255,997 times
From my understanding you can take business classes and diversify some of the courses through these programs. A lot of political figures from other countries dabble into the extension schools. However, Stanford, U of C, Dartmouth, Brown and a couple others Master of Liberal Arts degree are actual DEGREES within the MAIN UNIVERSITY they aren't castrated from the school. I am in quite a bit of debt. However, I was told by attending these programs you almost always increase your chances of entering into top tier MBA, JD and PHD programs from a elite perspective. As we all know, the elite schools always get first dabs at companies, firms and agencies that matter.

Although, you'd probably be at least 150-300k in the hole by the time you've acquired your MBA, JD or PHD.

Last edited by whitecollarboy; 06-25-2011 at 02:15 AM..

Old 06-25-2011, 10:39 AM

37,809 posts, read 41,107,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecollarboy View Post
Greetings,

What can you do with a Masters of Liberal Arts (you create your own focus) from an Ivy League institution?

Would you assume better pay?
If you want a better answer ask the same question in the Work forum. Ask who would hire you and what would they hire you to do to see if they value this Masters.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:48 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,479,605 times
Quote:
Greetings,

What can you do with a Masters of Liberal Arts (you create your own focus) from an Ivy League institution?

Would you assume better pay?
If you want to go into academia, then it might be a good idea. If you want to go out into the real world and get hired with it, then I have no idea who would take you. You may end up being that one guy who went to Harvard who still only made $30K a year (a result you could have gotten without the $100Ks of debt).

Old 06-25-2011, 11:08 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,916,885 times
The whole point of an advanced degree IS specialization; the MLA should be seen as a another path to a Ph.D. or a teaching certificate.

From Penn's site linked above:

Quote:
As an MLA student, you’ll learn multiple approaches and techniques for exploring a specific area of interest while developing your skills and knowledge to help you think independently and move to the next intellectual level.
(Emphasis mine)

Old 06-26-2011, 06:56 AM

86 posts, read 171,931 times
Quote:
From my understanding you can take business classes and diversify some of the courses through these programs. A lot of political figures from other countries dabble into the extension schools. However, Stanford, U of C, Dartmouth, Brown and a couple others Master of Liberal Arts degree are actual DEGREES within the MAIN UNIVERSITY they aren't castrated from the school. I am in quite a bit of debt. However, I was told by attending these programs you almost always increase your chances of entering into top tier MBA, JD and PHD programs from a elite perspective. As we all know, the elite schools always get first dabs at companies, firms and agencies that matter.

Although, you'd probably be at least 150-300k in the hole by the time you've acquired your MBA, JD or PHD.
Why not just spend the money for a quality test prep programme for the GMAT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities