Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 12:17 AM

158 posts, read 239,873 times

Advertisements

ok, this is hard but i will try to make this brief..due to a death in the family, i had to move back home, i live in texas near houston, but not close enough to commute. I have a degree in history and I have been looking for a job here that will help pay the bills. I have not been able to find anything but retail. It has gotten to be very discouraging, dealing with rude people that throw money at me or tell me off has made me reach my limit. When I moved back, i lost everything, my apartment, my friends and my car broke down. Now, because of everything, i will be getting a new car and maybe some spending money of 2k. At this point, i do not know what to do. I can either finish my certification in history(which will be cheaper) and try to get my masters in education(its done 100% online at my college) or I can try to get a bachelors in business and see where that goes. I do not want to make a mistake and i need a career. Working retail with a bachelors in history to me is unacceptable. My concerns are these:

1. Right now, funding has been cut and while i have been looking for a teaching job, there are almost no positions available. I do like the schedule teachers have but i feel i wont make any "good money" unless i have my masters and i am an assistant principal(they make 70k here)

2. I can get my bachelors in business. Im only 13 credits away from the business bachelors degree at my university. i know accounting is good, but to me its boring and i do not particularly like math so finance is out. The other disciplines that i am interested in is MIS and management but i heard that one could not find a job with those either.

I just want to make sure that i have a career lined up. If i do the teacher route, its cheaper and the masters is totally online which means i can work anywhere. If i do business i have to suck it up, continue to work crappy retail jobs that work around my schedule, but i feel that i am "guaranteed" a job. My friend has a degree in french and he is working retail as well. He wants to go for business. When i told my sister she said i should go for teaching(its the shortest route) and then part time go back for business since i dont have that many classes left..What should i do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 06:19 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,598,257 times
I agree with your friend about finishing the teaching first. I'm not sure about history, though. Can you get any other type of certification, like elementary or special ed? That might be more marketable. Many certifications are fairly easy to add on once you have a basic license. Try to find one that is being hired a lot. Spec ed, maybe ESL, maybe math. Look at the ads for teachers. Maybe you can do that when you do the master's. I have found my teaching license to be a great help - I've never had trouble finding a job and it's qualified me for other things besides just being a teacher.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:38 AM

Unfortunately no, i already have the bachelors i do have enough credit hours to teach spanish because u only need 24. Im at a loss because im tired or working crummy jobs that dont pay beans. My main worry is being marketable. My mom was poor all her life and i dont want to be in the same situation

Old 06-24-2011, 10:42 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,924,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historygrad View Post
ok, this is hard but i will try to make this brief..due to a death in the family, i had to move back home, i live in texas near houston, but not close enough to commute. I have a degree in history and I have been looking for a job here that will help pay the bills. I have not been able to find anything but retail. It has gotten to be very discouraging, dealing with rude people that throw money at me or tell me off has made me reach my limit. When I moved back, i lost everything, my apartment, my friends and my car broke down. Now, because of everything, i will be getting a new car and maybe some spending money of 2k. At this point, i do not know what to do. I can either finish my certification in history(which will be cheaper) and try to get my masters in education(its done 100% online at my college) or I can try to get a bachelors in business and see where that goes. I do not want to make a mistake and i need a career. Working retail with a bachelors in history to me is unacceptable. My concerns are these:

1. Right now, funding has been cut and while i have been looking for a teaching job, there are almost no positions available. I do like the schedule teachers have but i feel i wont make any "good money" unless i have my masters and i am an assistant principal(they make 70k here)

2. I can get my bachelors in business. Im only 13 credits away from the business bachelors degree at my university. i know accounting is good, but to me its boring and i do not particularly like math so finance is out. The other disciplines that i am interested in is MIS and management but i heard that one could not find a job with those either.

I just want to make sure that i have a career lined up. If i do the teacher route, its cheaper and the masters is totally online which means i can work anywhere. If i do business i have to suck it up, continue to work crappy retail jobs that work around my schedule, but i feel that i am "guaranteed" a job. My friend has a degree in french and he is working retail as well. He wants to go for business. When i told my sister she said i should go for teaching(its the shortest route) and then part time go back for business since i dont have that many classes left..What should i do?
1. Finish you degree
2. Sales

Old 06-24-2011, 11:06 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,175,027 times
If your goal was to make money, teaching is not the place to do it, despite what conservatives may tell ya, they aren't rolling in cash.

And a business degree will not guarantee you anything. Not unless you've done tons of interning and networking and know the right people. The market is flooded with people with business degrees, from people win more xp working at companies.

No degree will guarantee you anything.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:29 PM

30,699 posts, read 16,347,482 times
My opinion is to rethink your goals. You mentioned being fed up with rude customers-how long will you be able to handle rude students?

And business management still means dealing with people.
You don't come across as being able to do that long term. Nothing wrong with that; some can, some can't. (I'm a 'can't' myself).
Is there something in a different direction? Think outside the box.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:42 PM

I know that as a teacher i will not make alot of money or be rich, but ill have the freedom to travel during holidays and ill make at least $20 an hour. Accountants here make $46000-50000 and teachers start out between 38000-41000. Its not that big of a difference. And yes MEGADELL, you are right, a business degree will not guarantee me a job, hence the question.

PAHIPPO, i have handled rude students before, idk why but i dont take it the way that i would an adult maybe because i feel like an adult should know better, but i did substitute teach for a few years and teach regular school for a bit and i never had any problems. I never had to yell, yes there were conflicts sometimes but at least i was my own boss and could do what i needed to do as long as i got the job done. I felt like i had way more freedom. Im kinda leaning towards the teaching, at least with a masters i can earn 78000 a year as an asst principal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities