Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Getting Facebook Friend Request From Colleges, Make you nervous?
Yes...They make me Uncomfortable 7 63.64%
No..It's just how they recruit..part of the "new times". 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:53 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,032,188 times

Advertisements

I been looking to different colleges, cause I want to attempt to get atleast 1 or 2 more degrees, or atleast certificates..

I notice after I apply I get Facebook friend request from the admissions reps.
They send a friend request and a message, asking me to confirm my info.
They list my address phone number and everything.

It kinda makes me feel uncomfortable.
First off I do have a picture of myself on Facebook but its not like I send a picture of myself with my application.

My Facebook account has about 15 friends (employees/employers)and family. I am rarely on it.

I have never given any of these colleges my Facebook info.
I just wonder how they know they are contacting the right person.. I'm sure that there are many people named Jermaine, and there are even a few that have the same last name.
I'm concerned that they find another person and starts talking to someone who may not have the best intentions.

I'm currently a manager of a major retailer, I always do a internet search on a person, after I interview them.. But I never Friend request them.
For the reason I state above.

Does getting friend request from Random College Reps, Make you nervous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 09:35 PM

9 posts, read 13,884 times
An internet search on people after u interview them? That sounds just as wacko as the admissions. Why do u care what people r saying about someone on the internet? Thats the last place to get accurate info on someone if u wamt that u should call their references. Thats what they are there for

Old 07-05-2011, 09:41 PM

13,256 posts, read 33,633,723 times
This only happened a little bit to my son. He did not accept any of them as friends. He did join some colleges FB pages.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:53 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,032,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthlessba View Post
An internet search on people after u interview them? That sounds just as wacko as the admissions.
I meant some businesses type a name into a onto a news site, (google news or just google) to see if a person has made the news in a positive or negative way...It kinda a extra prcedure along with the background checks. If we find something, we see if it matches with the background check reports.

Pretty common practice, at least for some businesses, I've actually learned that years ago in Business/Management 101.

But we never attempt to contact people online on social media.

Last edited by Jermaine88; 07-05-2011 at 11:10 PM..

Old 07-07-2011, 08:07 AM

4,392 posts, read 4,262,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthlessba View Post
An internet search on people after u interview them? That sounds just as wacko as the admissions. Why do u care what people r saying about someone on the internet? Thats the last place to get accurate info on someone if u wamt that u should call their references. Thats what they are there for
You may just find out whether or not they have the basics skills and temperament needed for success in college by reading their participation in online comments and message boards.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:14 PM

22 posts, read 62,860 times
What is being said about someone on the internet is important because the reputation, online or otherwise, of an employee or student can affect the reputation of any organization they are associated with.

Usually people who have unfavorable online presences, either through things they have posted or things which have been posted about them, also have unfavorable qualities that might not come out so easily in an interview. Even if those things are just stuff "people r saying about someone", do you really want to hire someone who associates with internet gossips and/or gives people stuff to talk about? Even if the information isn't accurate, the type of people they socialize with and the image they have says something about the kinds of crowds they run in. Most mature professionals don't trash each other online or associate with people who trash others online.

I regularly google MYSELF just to keep tabs on my online presence, and to make sure all information out there is accurate.

To answer the OP, I wouldn't respond to the facebook friend offer; instead I would email them back to confirm that all of the information is correct.

However, I would still double check your facebook profile to make sure it is pristine, just in case someone gets a look at it.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:12 AM

158 posts, read 239,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by counselor123 View Post
What is being said about someone on the internet is important because the reputation, online or otherwise, of an employee or student can affect the reputation of any organization they are associated with.

Usually people who have unfavorable online presences, either through things they have posted or things which have been posted about them, also have unfavorable qualities that might not come out so easily in an interview. Even if those things are just stuff "people r saying about someone", do you really want to hire someone who associates with internet gossips and/or gives people stuff to talk about? Even if the information isn't accurate, the type of people they socialize with and the image they have says something about the kinds of crowds they run in. Most mature professionals don't trash each other online or associate with people who trash others online.

I regularly google MYSELF just to keep tabs on my online presence, and to make sure all information out there is accurate.

To answer the OP, I wouldn't respond to the facebook friend offer; instead I would email them back to confirm that all of the information is correct.

However, I would still double check your facebook profile to make sure it is pristine, just in case someone gets a look at it.
ok that is something i could NEVER do, if the background checks are coming back with nothing which is the most important since they have to do a CRIMINAL background check, then everything else is just heresay! I also could put bad things about you on the internet and make you out to be a pedofile/rapist/gossip/adulterer and i dont know what else. Does that make it true?

Old 07-09-2011, 02:18 AM

158 posts, read 239,992 times
BTW one more thing i wanted to add, you stated something about even if people didnt do anything wrong that most mature proessionals wont associate with people that trash others online.

I work at a major retailer. Two days into my job, an employee came up and told me a racial slur out of the blue. I did nothing to provoke this. I reported him to my supervisor and he was disciplined for it. I live in a very ghetto city/area where the majority of the people work blue collar jobs. I encounter people everyday that dont know how to work a debit/credit card nor know how to function in life. With that being said, It would not take much for that guy to blast me on the internet and make up stuff just so he could justify his actions and try to make me look bad..see what i mean?

Old 07-09-2011, 09:22 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,285,519 times
I am not a big fan of facebook. Yeah, it is nice to keep in touch with friends. Friends. Not everybody that I met in life and said "Hi" to. My colleagues are not my fb friends unless they are my real-life friends as well. Don't really understand those 2000+ friends collectors. Seriously, how many of those "friends" do they really know or have exchanged more than a "hi, how are you?" with?

As for the original question: I would be uncomfortable with anyone who decides about my future friending me and I would decline such requests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities