Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 05:51 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,498,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I don't know. My son has always been interested in death and dying. I know that sounds very strange and bizarre, like I should have taken him for more counseling or something...but he is a Funeral Director, and he LOVES his job. He is so great at working with families, and he loves planning the events, especially when families want something special or unusual. He does such a great job, that people refer him for other people. And he makes a good salary. My other sons, one is in the military, always jumping out of planes or something crazy, he loves what he does as well. And my first born, he manages and consults on ski area development. They all seem pretty happy. And live a good life...

The stories I hear from my son, the funeral director, are SO hilarious...he should write a sit-com...or a movie...it would definitely be a winner...
I always wanted to quiz a funeral director about his job. Must be interesting. I couldn't do it. I don't deal with dead bodies well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 08:28 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,703,086 times
Considering we spend most of our waking hours working, preparing for work and traveling to work, it would be nice to have a job we love (or at least like).

Old 07-13-2011, 04:24 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,841,348 times
Mike Rowe of Discovery Network's "Dirty Jobs" actually has a pretty interesting and well developed perspective on this. Say what you will about him, but he's an intelligent and complex fellow.

YouTube - ‪Dirty Jobs' Mike Rowe on Lamb Castration, PETA, and American Labor‬‏

This is long but worth a watch in my estimation.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:46 PM

143 posts, read 378,519 times
It's a tricky balance to find a job we both enjoy and pays well. In college, I knew a few students who paid attention to only the former, and ignored the latter. The end result was they ended up in jobs that was neither enjoyable nor high paying. What's the point of solely focusing on something enjoyable if you can never make a living from it later?

I say study what you love but make sure you have something marketable at the end. If you love drawing, be a art major, but tack on something more practical that you still enjoy doing (accounting? finance? computer engineering?) in case the arts thing doesn't work out.

A student can either choose a practical major that they may only "like" for find the job market "forcing" them into fields that they hate.

Take a friend who was a political science major. He did it because he liked it. He tried his hand at programming but found it was not "interesting" enough, he briefly studied finance because it was moderately enjoyable but found poli sci more interesting. When my friend graduated, there was no jobs in political science (surprise!). He realized quickly that the few job interviews he got were interested in his finance knowledge. My friend started digging through his old finance books to brush up on interviews since he marginally enjoyed the field. Sadly, his lack of practical skills and his need for money forced my friend into a job that was neither desirable nor high paying. Had he taken my initial advice of studying something he tolerated but was higher paying, he may still have ended up with the same indifference to his job, but perhaps more money in his pocket.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:01 PM

37,819 posts, read 41,126,784 times
I always think that once the things that I love turn into a job, I won't like them as much anymore.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:16 PM

428 posts, read 1,186,886 times
What a generalization. I'm doing what I love and it hasn't destroyed my life. I never had an interest in generating profits for some corporation. While my job doesn't define me, if I have no choice but to spend a good chunk of my life working it makes sense to me to find something I also find enjoyment in.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:27 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,316,484 times
ugh..someone's bitter. better yet sound like someone gave up.

I'm doing something that for a good 10 years I was told I'd never be successful, or make a living at. I didn't give up and boy did that make it worth it!

Old 07-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 713,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post
What a generalization. I'm doing what I love and it hasn't destroyed my life. I never had an interest in generating profits for some corporation. While my job doesn't define me, if I have no choice but to spend a good chunk of my life working it makes sense to me to find something I also find enjoyment in.

Please share what your job is? I want a career change and like to hear about what others do? What do you love about your job? Thanks

Old 07-26-2011, 07:31 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,364,163 times
I know someone who will graduate in Aug and he majored in sociology. He got the first job he applied for at a law firm doing proposal writing. He'll earn $18.00 a hour. He loved his major and plans to go to law school but in the meantime this isnt too bad of a gig. It is possible to get a job with a humanities degree.

In fact, I know a place here that hires ANY major for a sales position with a base salary of 30-some thousand a year.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:10 AM

4,886 posts, read 6,980,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSUAccountingGuy View Post

In fact, I know a place here that hires ANY major for a sales position with a base salary of 30-some thousand a year.
Not everyone is cut out to sell Kirby Vacuum Cleaners
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities