Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 05:43 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,607,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
Sign up for some simple classes at your local community college to bring your GPA up.
That's what I did. Once I got 6 A's in a row, it brought my GPA up and I applied for the Master's program at the local university. I got it on probation and then was befriended by my favorite professor who also helped me when my GRE scores weren't high enough to get off probation. After taking 2 of her classes and being one of her best students, she wrote the letter to the dean basically saying that she would mentor me and that I showed huge potential in my field. They accepted her letter. I graduated the next year with a 3.85.
One of these days universities will figure out that your college career as a very young adult (18-22) really has nothing to do with the type of student you will be 10, 20 or 30 years later. I am so glad I did what I did and had someone that had so much faith in me. Good luck!
Listen to Asonier suggestion. I did the same as he/she and got letter of reccommendation and got accepted into two grad programs Also try a Christain graduate school which is more "forgiving" of poor GPAs. I never completed the graduate program because I got into medical field which paid more the those with a graduate degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 03:28 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,793,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decker1963 View Post
I want to pursuit a master degree in psychology but I have really bad undergraduate grades. I want know, if you know, any graduate school where you live might accept those with 2.4 gpa and above average gre. I can't change what I did as a undergraduate, but I do want to further my education to help people. Thanks.
I am going to say the thing that needs to be said. You maybe a great person, you maybe very smart, but a graduate degree at its very basic level, is for the scholarly. Based on your past performance you are not particularly scholarly (or maybe weren't). You would likely not want to attend a school that accepted you based on your past performance. You can always go back and re-take enough classes to bring up your grades.

Finally, I know this is an internet forum and we all make typos but the OP is riddled with both grammatical and spelling errors. Get Firefox or another browser that will show you your mistakes before you post. Unfortunately people judge you on how you present yourself and like wearing a nice suit, having decent communication skills is something you want to brush up on.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:31 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,136,761 times
Any program that accepts people with poor academic performance is not going to be worth completing....

Old 07-17-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Any program that accepts people with poor academic performance is not going to be worth completing....
That just like saying "Because you've been divorced, you're not worth marrying again." People make mistakes or bad choices...do you?

Old 07-17-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
That just like saying "Because you've been divorced, you're not worth marrying again." People make mistakes or bad choices...do you?
No its not, any good academic program is going to be in high demand and they will pass over any applicant with poor academic performance, there is just too much risk in admitting them. How do they know whether the person has changed? Because they say so?

People make mistakes all the time, but there are consequences to those mistakes. Colleges aren't in the business of fixing your past mistakes, they are in the business of education and they want to admit the best possible students into their programs. If the OP wants to get into a decent program, they will have to first prove that they're an attractive candidate.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
No its not, any good academic program is going to be in high demand and they will pass over any applicant with poor academic performance, there is just too much risk in admitting them. How do they know whether the person has changed? Because they say so?

People make mistakes all the time, but there are consequences to those mistakes. Colleges aren't in the business of fixing your past mistakes, they are in the business of education and they want to admit the best possible students into their programs. If the OP wants to get into a decent program, they will have to first prove that they're an attractive candidate.
Colleges are in the businees to make money just like every other business;that's why the price is going up. They are not like they used to be in the 70s and 80s. Once graduated, most companies (with the exception of high governmental agencies ) don't care where you graduated from just as long as you have that diploma.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Once graduated, most companies (with the exception of high governmental agencies ) don't care where you graduated from just as long as you have that diploma.
This isn't even close to being true, businesses are very aware of the fact that different schools provide different quality of educations.

A business wants the best possible candidate for the job, obviously they are going to consider the merit of the school one attended.....

Old 07-17-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
This isn't even close to being true, businesses are very aware of the fact that different schools provide different quality of educations.

A business wants the best possible candidate for the job, obviously they are going to consider the merit of the school one attended.....
Three years ago I went a college that was considered "less than prestigous" college and got my 3rd degree. Took my national exam and I now get paid VERY well for passing that exam eventhough it was, IMHO, not as good and challenging as the college I went to for my 1st and 2nd degrees which I got in the 80s. This time it was all about the instructors' egos, about how difficult they could make it for the students; not trying to teach me/us what I needed to know. In comparison to the 70s and 80s, college seems to be "dumb down" as many of my collegues have discussed. What you used to learn in the BA program in the past, now has been stretched to a MA program now. Sorry but that has been my experience as well as those collegues of mine who attended college during my timeline.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:52 PM

Whether or not programs are now "dumb down" has nothing to do with whether businesses consider the merit of the college you attended in hiring decisions.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Whether or not programs are now "dumb down" has nothing to do with whether businesses consider the merit of the college you attended in hiring decisions.
My degree was the basic requirement to take the exam and my HIRING had to with whether I passed a national exam; not the college I attended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities