Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 11:41 AM

192 posts, read 324,979 times

Advertisements

I am trying to decide whether to go for a BA in Political Science or Public Administration. My current plan is to probably try to get a job in a government organization once I graduate. If I can not though, I would consider something in the business field. I am pretty sure I do not want to work in Politics. With that said, would I be better off with a PS or PA degree? I want to know which would give me more job options. From online research some people say PA closes doors as it indicates your only interested in the public sector, and I have seen others say that businesses find a PA degree more applicable. For the PA degree at the school I am going to though, it seems like a weak program though with few core classes, and most of the ones you take are PS oriented. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 11:52 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,352,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamedown View Post
I am trying to decide whether to go for a BA in Political Science or Public Administration. My current plan is to probably try to get a job in a government organization once I graduate. If I can not though, I would consider something in the business field. I am pretty sure I do not want to work in Politics. With that said, would I be better off with a PS or PA degree? I want to know which would give me more job options. From online research some people say PA closes doors as it indicates your only interested in the public sector, and I have seen others say that businesses find a PA degree more applicable. For the PA degree at the school I am going to though, it seems like a weak program though with few core classes, and most of the ones you take are PS oriented. Any thoughts?
Poli Sci is the broader undergrad degree. You'll likely need a master's in public policy or something along those lines to get a better starting job in either the government (public service) or consulting (private/business) anyway.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Poli Sci is the broader undergrad degree. You'll likely need a master's in public policy or something along those lines to get a better starting job in either the government (public service) or consulting (private/business) anyway.
So which is more likely to get me a job soon after college, if I do not go for a master's right away?

Old 07-16-2011, 06:04 PM

26 posts, read 56,331 times
Quote:
So which is more likely to get me a job soon after college, if I do not go for a master's right away?
Honestly? probably neither. Although public administration is the less of two evils so to speak. At least with public administration you can try to get a job in government, whether, local or state.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer5575 View Post
Honestly? probably neither. Although public administration is the less of two evils so to speak. At least with public administration you can try to get a job in government, whether, local or state.
I see, I am kind of in a pickle. I am in the midst of transferring from a community college to a Cal State. With the classes I have done so far, I am stuck taking some sort of humanities degree. After all the research I have done, I realize it is probably a mistake. Now I am kind of stuck though, for if I wanted to do business administration instead. I would have to put the transfer on hold, and wait a year and do some business classes at the community college level. Right now I have a Cal Grant, and I will also get two free classes because my mom works there, so if I continue at the Cal State I will have a free ride right now, while if I wait it is not so certain. Not only that I find business really boring, all my interests lie in History, Geography, etc. I know for certain I do not want to teach though, and besides that I know there is not much else you can do with those type of degrees at the moment. On top of that I am 25, and still living at home and I really want to move out. I will not feel secure enough to do so though, until I have a BA and a full time job. Which is why I really do not want to delay the transfer any longer. I am just so lost with on what to do.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:31 PM

26 posts, read 56,331 times
Quote:
I see, I am kind of in a pickle. I am in the midst of transferring from a community college to a Cal State. With the classes I have done so far, I am stuck taking some sort of humanities degree. After all the research I have done, I realize it is probably a mistake. Now I am kind of stuck though, for if I wanted to do business administration instead. I would have to put the transfer on hold, and wait a year and do some business classes at the community college level. Right now I have a Cal Grant, and I will also get two free classes because my mom works there, so if I continue at the Cal State I will have a free ride right now, while if I wait it is not so certain. Not only that I find business really boring, all my interests lie in History, Geography, etc. I know for certain I do not want to teach though, and besides that I know there is not much else you can do with those type of degrees at the moment. On top of that I am 25, and still living at home and I really want to move out. I will not feel secure enough to do so though, until I have a BA and a full time job. Which is why I really do not want to delay the transfer any longer. I am just so lost with on what to do.
I can relate on a few things. I have two degrees and I also live at home. Ive been laid off from work twice since 2009. Securing a job is going to be tough. Securing a job that pays enough for you to sustain yourself is going to be even harder.

Dont be hard on yourself though. A lot of people are lost. I put in many years and money into an education and it has yet to bear any fruit for me. Just keep working hard though. Just keep in mind that whatever degree you do deserve to get, it wont guarantee you any thing.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer5575 View Post
I can relate on a few things. I have two degrees and I also live at home. Ive been laid off from work twice since 2009. Securing a job is going to be tough. Securing a job that pays enough for you to sustain yourself is going to be even harder.

Dont be hard on yourself though. A lot of people are lost. I put in many years and money into an education and it has yet to bear any fruit for me. Just keep working hard though. Just keep in mind that whatever degree you do deserve to get, it wont guarantee you any thing.
Thank you for the encouraging words.

I know it will not guarantee anything, and I know I will have to do internships and network. I would prefer to get a degree that will have a higher probability of getting me a job without having a masters though.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:47 AM

So is it better to just spend three more years to get a Business Administration BA, instead of the two for getting a Political Science BA in terms of getting a job upon graduation, especially since I am not interested in going for a MA right away? I have read several of the debates on whether a Liberal Arts degree can get you a job or not, but there seems to be no consensus.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:48 AM

77 posts, read 200,094 times
Quote:
Thank you for the encouraging words.

I know it will not guarantee anything, and I know I will have to do internships and network. I would prefer to get a degree that will have a higher probability of getting me a job without having a masters though.

Outside of business and the STEM fields---short for science, technology, engineering and mathematics---a liberal arts degree like yours will probably require additional education. I graduated with a BA in political science, and the degree has yet to pay off for me, but everyone's different. I didn't secure an internship until the final year of my education, and even when I did, I didn't have enough money.

Have you considered the Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars? Its a wonderful internship program with roughly 9-10 subfields that you can intern under (this was the aforementioned program that was too expensive for me). As of 2007, 800+ corporations, government entities, think tanks and congressional offices were using its interns. They also provide housing stipends (all housing's in wonderful apartment complexes in Maryland and Northern Virginia), and the internships can be done throughout the calendar year. I don't know what the job placement rate is today, considering the mess that is today's economy, but when I secured admission to the program, 40% of all interns were offered jobs after their internships were completed, which sounded great to me. Check it out sometime!!

I forgot to mention that it's a requirement that every intern take a class related to politics (of course)---a seminar, really---as part of their learning experience, which meets only once per week, during the evenings. The great aspect of this is that you won't be lectured by any old professor, but movers and shakers throughout the political world, ranging from former Congressional members to former Political Advisors to highly regarded professors. (well, I guess you will have some traditional academic lecturers) The best part is that you choose the class that interests you, unlike being pushed into BasketWeaving 101 by an academic counselor.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky2012 View Post
Outside of business and the STEM fields---short for science, technology, engineering and mathematics---a liberal arts degree like yours will probably require additional education. I graduated with a BA in political science, and the degree has yet to pay off for me, but everyone's different. I didn't secure an internship until the final year of my education, and even when I did, I didn't have enough money.

Have you considered the Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars? Its a wonderful internship program with roughly 9-10 subfields that you can intern under (this was the aforementioned program that was too expensive for me). As of 2007, 800+ corporations, government entities, think tanks and congressional offices were using its interns. They also provide housing stipends (all housing's in wonderful apartment complexes in Maryland and Northern Virginia), and the internships can be done throughout the calendar year. I don't know what the job placement rate is today, considering the mess that is today's economy, but when I secured admission to the program, 40% of all interns were offered jobs after their internships were completed, which sounded great to me. Check it out sometime!!

I forgot to mention that it's a requirement that every intern take a class related to politics (of course)---a seminar, really---as part of their learning experience, which meets only once per week, during the evenings. The great aspect of this is that you won't be lectured by any old professor, but movers and shakers throughout the political world, ranging from former Congressional members to former Political Advisors to highly regarded professors. (well, I guess you will have some traditional academic lecturers) The best part is that you choose the class that interests you, unlike being pushed into BasketWeaving 101 by an academic counselor.
I see, well I am strongly considering going the Business route, even though it would be three years instead of two, if it sets be up better for future employment it is worth it I suppose.

Thanks for the tip though, I have heard of other similar internship programs in DC like the you mentioned. The trouble like you mention is the cost. I do not really have that type of money for just a internship. I actually do have an internship right now in my local state legislators office, so I am ahead of the curve in that sense. Thing is, I am pretty sure now I do not want to work in politics. I would work for a government agency though.

Since I am so undecided about my career goals, I guess Business would be a safe way to go. I would love to hear more input though from people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities