Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 01:18 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,231,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Kudos to him for teaching you how to write a proper paper (draft, review, revise, and so on)! It absolutely amazes me how many college students cannot (couldn't) write their way through a basic college paper, even though they claim[ed] up and down their work was gold.

Your opinion on whether or not anyone writes like that is moot. If that is how the prof wants you to write and present information, then that is how you are going to write. And three things I have learned are that: 1) different profs are going to demand different writing styles. 2) different journals and other publications demand different styles for submissions, regardless of what is considered standard or "modern". 3) if you want to be a trail-blazer and get creative with your papers, you'll have to do that on your own time.
Really he didn't teach me jack - it was a fairly poor class - even the discussion of the content which should be challenging, thought provoking, etc just wasn't ........ definitely worst class I had in that string and contrasted to other professors this guy was a dim bulb and definitely a university legacy

I already knew how to write a proper paper, i already knew that at times you need to suck it up and just give people what they want and i already knew that it was his class - his rules.

I just dealt with it - which is something that some do better than others

Merely an ancedote as I could of fought to do things the way that they were done in proper journals, our other classes, etc and gotten poor marks due to the format of my work as opposed to the material of my work

or

Suck it up and deal.

I know many who wouldn't sway - I still see it all the time in my professional settings.

It's a skill that goes a long way - understand your position, understand what is expected of you, understand what those who have a position of influence over you sometimes have to be catered to - at least until you can work to change your position.

If you can find the hot buttons of your supervisors and then consistently address them you will do well - regardless if you think they are really all that important in merit .... that doesn't matter, it only matters that they think it's important and they want you to get that information

When you are the boss you get to go your own route and create expectations for those reporting to you

This professor was a jerk and relic - but it was his classroom.

He wanted to take a fairly advanced class white paper project and make it read as if it was written by a 7th grader. Even worse, he didn't do much to advance the discussion of the actual content.

Guy was a bump and a waste of resources - but sometimes you need to do what you need to do.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:45 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,283,434 times
Quote:
I hate profs who grade on a curve. To me it shows they are bad teachers at the most. Or good teachers who are just afraid of losing their jobs (adjuncts, for example). Call it pride or what ever, but I always believed the grade I got was the grade I earned. If I got a low grade, I accepted it and did my best to improve the next time. Failing is how we learn.

But....I actually enjoyed the competition in class. It pushed me to do the best I could, but honestly, what ever my grades were, I always knew that I gave it my best and in the end that was all that ultimately mattered to me.
Only problem with not having a curve in UT engineering is everyone would fail or get C's or D's or less.
I can't tell you how many times the whole class got D's or worse on exams. Are the kids there stupid?-- no... the exams and tests are just that hard.

Sometimes they will test you over things that haven't been taught... Or test you over things that are impossible to finish within the time given. This is just the way it is in UT engineering.

I remember a Calc 3 class in school where the highest grade was a 45. I also remember a transport phenomenon exam where no one got higher than a 60.

Don't know why the professors grade like this, but they do... It is really important you go to class (especially in junior and senior years) as you may not know it but your class attendance could affect your grade.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:00 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I'm starting my freshman year UT-Austin in the fall, and one of the major factors in my decision was the scholarships offered to me. To keep them, I have to maintain a 3.5+ GPA. It's an intimidating task considering I'm majoring in engineering in a program nationally known for its rigor. I can't afford not to keep them really.

I've heard that getting a 3.5+ is very hard in any major, so it's a concern for me that I'll be constantly worrying about my grades rather than getting a well-rounded education. I realize this is something that varies from person to person, but I'm interested in hearing your opinions and experience with GPA and difficulty of college courses.
I had a similar academic scholarship. What mattered for me was overall gpa, so I picked up a second major that was easy for me to ace (psych). I did well in my science major, but having the 4.0 in psych was good insurance. I also did a couple of grade replacements. My uni allowed 3 of those.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:04 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,581,384 times
Again, I'm appreciate all the well thought-out responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
1. Don't take more than 18 hours of credits in a semester. I did 21 once, including a lab class that was design + build + test ... I must've spent 80 hours a week out of my dorm room. Thank god I had a supportive girlfriend at the time (that was hot and I could "relieve the stress" with often). And seriously DO NOT TAKE MORE! Your grades will suffer.

2. Study study study, and do the extra homework in your book. Sounds stupid at first but you shouldn't have extra time on your hands during the week. And if you get the concepts, study ahead of time.

3. Work out. Seriously. I exaggerate on #2 but if you aren't lucky like I was and have a girlfriend, then the next best thing is to take care of your body. Body and mind are inextricably linked. And it is so easy to do. 30-45 minutes every other day in the gym plus walking or running 4 miles a day. It's easier than it sounds.

Still not convinced? Well, think of it this way: the body needs the brain to survive and the brain needs blood. Higher metabolic rates mean the faster and more efficient blood is pumping through your body which carries waste back out. I've gotten more original and creative in my 30s now after I decided to get serious about working out 5 years ago. I wish wish wish I had discovered this in my college years and not been all up in athlete's faces about being stupid and meat headed. Wrong. Work out.

4. Work the TAs and RAs and the professors. They're there getting paid with YOUR MONEY. Use them. Even if you understand everything, ask what else you can do. Who knows? Maybe the prof will like your enthusiasm and offer you research grants as a grad student or an undergrad if you're lucky. Profs also know people in industry who may want his recommendation for you to get a job/internship later on.

5. Be prepared emotionally. When you get a C or less on a test, or a homework, LEARN FROM IT.

The way I see it is, I don't take things emotionally anymore when it comes to technical matters. I think thinks logically. You have received the input, now act on it. The feedback loop is endless and you're just getting started.

6. Check your ego at the door. Don't take things emotionally and don't see marks against you as an affront to your intelligence. Remember they're providing honest and critical feedback to you to help you improve. Use it!

7. Never give up. The only way giving up makes any sense is if you start bombing out of basic classes. My little bro wanted to become a mechanical engineer but simply couldn't understand the basics of fluid mechanics or physics. It was so frustrating to see him suffer like that and get D's and F's! But he didn't give up, rather, he changed his major and used college for what it is: a crucible of intellect and learning and understanding your own abilities. It isn't about pure knowledge except for the professors and the RAs who study under them. It's about You.
1. 21 hours! I'm not that insane. I've looked ahead, and if I stick strictly to the plan(s) they've laid out, the most I'd ever have to take is 17 in any of the engineering majors I'm interested in. I need to talk to my advisor to make for sure on the number, but I'm tested out of about 15-20 hours of classes (I'm not taking credit for classes that count directly toward my major for GPA reasons), so I have a very manageable 14-15 hours per semester on average. I'm considering taking on a minor, which I think takes 12 hours of credit, but I'm not sure it'd be worth the effort.

3. You won't have to do any convincing for me. I already run 3 miles most days and play tennis and other recreational sports often. I plan on starting working out once I get access to the university's gym. I have personally experienced the mental uplift you get from exercise.

Quote:
Well, first off, is the scholarship institutional? Or is it from an outside source? Is it semester based? Yearly based? Or cumulative? I got a scholarship for biology. If I fell below the minimal GPA, I was put on a warning, in which I had to meet or exceed the minimum GPA the next semester (based on that semester's grades, not cumulative). If I fell below the following semester, once again I would have been put on warning. Repeat. I only fell below once, by the way.

Kudos to him for teaching you how to write a proper paper (draft, review, revise, and so on)! It absolutely amazes me how many college students cannot (couldn't) write their way through a basic college paper, even though they claim[ed] up and down their work was gold.

Your opinion on whether or not anyone writes like that is moot. If that is how the prof wants you to write and present information, then that is how you are going to write. And three things I have learned are that: 1) different profs are going to demand different writing styles. 2) different journals and other publications demand different styles for submissions, regardless of what is considered standard or "modern". 3) if you want to be a trail-blazer and get creative with your papers, you'll have to do that on your own time.

Don't know what to tell you, you will fade into the crowd. You can be the top student at your school and while you may get recognition on the Dean's List, no one is going to hand you stars and brownies for your effort. In fact, outside of graduation rank, no one is going to care let alone notice. You are not in high school anymore. No one care about cliques or social standing. Well, not to the effect they do in high school, and generally the concept of being "cool" or the best or "in" fades away. No one is going to hold your hand. If you are failing a course, your professor more-than-likely will not say anything; even if you are the type to stay after class to shoot the breeze. So the sooner you get used to the idea that you are just another student, the better off you will be.

As StarlaJane pointed out, grading on a curve can be a blessing and a curse. Don't assume it will always boost your grade, and to be perfectly frank, it pissed me off to no end knowing that my good grade helped bring up some slackers grade. Yup, students tend to put studying on the back-burning if they know the prof is going to curve the grades. I mean, why not? Your C could turn into a high B. So why bother?

I hate profs who grade on a curve. To me it shows they are bad teachers at the most. Or good teachers who are just afraid of losing their jobs (adjuncts, for example). Call it pride or what ever, but I always believed the grade I got was the grade I earned. If I got a low grade, I accepted it and did my best to improve the next time. Failing is how we learn.

But....I actually enjoyed the competition in class. It pushed me to do the best I could, but honestly, what ever my grades were, I always knew that I gave it my best and in the end that was all that ultimately mattered to me.

Since biology majors are required to take a year of gen chem and a year of organic chem, the gen chem courses are generally not weed out courses. A quick look at UTs website shows that there are two orgo II courses, one of which is indicated as Chem Majors only. That one is the weed out course.

Gen Chem is fairly easy on one hand. The math is basic arithmetic with the hardest part being conversion of units. On the other hand, I found it more difficult than orgo because at least in orgo you focus on narrow range of topics as opposed to the broad-view of topics covered in gen chem.

@esker regarding study, study, study...and do extra homework ...I disagree. One thing you will realize (hopefully) is that profs generally tell you the material they want you to learn. Which is generally the material they will test you on. I say generally because on occasion there is that one prof who will test on material not covered in lecture, the reading, homework assignments, etc. But they are rare since most profs don't want to spend any more time grading your tests/papers/homework than you do doing them.

It's simply a waste of time to study stuff you are not asked, or otherwise required, to study. It might make you a smarty pants, but it will take time away from the material you should be studying, and in reality, it creates an awkward situation where even though you begin the answer correctly, you "talk" your way into a wrong answer by including too much irrelevant information.

Simply put: only study what they profs ask you to study, and only answer the questions by answering only what is being asked.
I don't really like giving the specific dollar amounts, but half of my tuition is covered by a scholarship administered through the engineering honors department over 8 semesters. It's the one with the GPA requirement, and it's based on overall GPA. I have another non-renewable scholarship this year that covers the other half. It's outside money administered through UT's financial aid office, and I think you can reapply for it every year.

I asked about the gen chem course because I saw that it has low grade averages for every professor, much lower than my other courses. That may be attributable to a wider variety of majors having to take it. Chemistry is a good subject for me, so I'll do fine.

I like to think I know how and when to jump through hoops, yet assert myself to get help and make connections. Still, there's definitely going to be a learning curve.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Look at it a different way.

If I were you (and I was):

Screw the scholorahips.
Attend a cheaper (the cheapest) school and take out loans or borrow from mom. The name of the school isn't as important for engineering as it is for law or business.

Getting an B or A is not that important. You can pass with a C and have more time for fun (chicks).

Best advice: Go to a junior college for two years and live at home for free, then transfer to the local El cheapo ABET state U and live at home. No debt, you'll have your ABET degree. Joe UCLA or Bill Michigan and his $80K of debt will sit next to you at your first job making $3K more per year.

In engineering, A students from good schools don't start out making that much more than C students from mediocre schools. And after your first job, it hardly makes a difference what school you attended. It's mostly your career strategy (making career moves, additional training), valuable (in demand) experience, and your attitude. GPA after your first job is almost irrelevant.

Finally, you'll find out that the A students end up working for the C students.

Last edited by Charles; 07-20-2011 at 06:44 PM..

Old 07-20-2011, 08:04 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,283,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

In engineering, A students from good schools don't start out making that much more than C students from mediocre schools. And after your first job, it hardly makes a difference what school you attended. It's mostly your career strategy (making career moves, additional training), valuable (in demand) experience, and your attitude.
A lot of Fortune 500 companies won't hire you right out of college if you aren't from one of the top schools in engineering (mine won't).

Luckily for Western, UT is the best engineering school in Texas, and it is very affordable for the education and benefits you will be receiving from it.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:26 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,769,035 times
One more word of warning. Be careful about what you place out of. There can be an unintended consequence of doing so.

My oldest son, placed out of 17 hours. We thought that was wonderful because he was saving us an entire semester. However, now as a senior, he is kicking himself for doing so. The stuff he placed out of was stuff that came easy to him. These were courses he could have aced, in his sleep. None of it was in his major. He is now struggling to keep a decent GPA. If he had just gone ahead and taken those courses which he placed out of, he would have done well in them, and it would have helped pad his overall GPA. I'm not saying don't do it. I'm just saying, be careful and think about what you are doing.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:34 AM

632 posts, read 1,180,717 times
As a college student you will take a course or several that are known for being difficult and it is VERY possible that you could devote your time and energy to this or these particular classes and still fall short of an A, B, and sometimes even passing.

Just be prepared because I am taking a class right now which is notorious for high drop outs and despite the hard work I put in, I failed the first exam with the class average being 66% and no curves.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:44 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,411,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
As a college student you will take a course or several that are known for being difficult and it is VERY possible that you could devote your time and energy to this or these particular classes and still fall short of an A, B, and sometimes even passing.

Just be prepared because I am taking a class right now which is notorious for high drop outs and despite the hard work I put in, I failed the first exam with the class average being 66% and no curves.
I disagree. The OP has gotten an academic scholarship, and I think if he makes an effort, the worst he can do is a C. He/she is already a great student, and has the knowledge of math and other subjects to make a good basis to do well in the program. Of course, to keep a 3.5, he/she can't really get C's. Luckily...

I think if he/she follows the tips a lot of respondents gave, even C's can be avoided:
1. Minimize or eliminate the "partying."
2. Relax and exercise
3. Attend every class and attend office hours with the professor.
4. Use ALL help available (tutors, study groups...)
5. Do ALL homework and ADDITIONAL exercises.
6. Attend all classes and show interest in class and professor.

he/she will DEFINITELY do well. Maybe even better than a 3.5. Actually, I feel like a parent. LOL I don't have any kids, so I may be overdoing the "feeling proud" for a kid I don't even know. (Kinky tears up). Sorry for disagreeing, but I believe it's possible for the OP to do really well, and hopefully he/she'll stick around on CD and let us know how the tips are working out.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:30 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,581,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
One more word of warning. Be careful about what you place out of. There can be an unintended consequence of doing so.

My oldest son, placed out of 17 hours. We thought that was wonderful because he was saving us an entire semester. However, now as a senior, he is kicking himself for doing so. The stuff he placed out of was stuff that came easy to him. These were courses he could have aced, in his sleep. None of it was in his major. He is now struggling to keep a decent GPA. If he had just gone ahead and taken those courses which he placed out of, he would have done well in them, and it would have helped pad his overall GPA. I'm not saying don't do it. I'm just saying, be careful and think about what you are doing.
This has run across my mind before. The credit I'd be taking is all rhetoric and humanities. They're classes that I found plenty easy but laborious and incredibly time consuming. Right now, I'm leaning toward taking the credit so I don't risk spreading myself too thin, allowing me to focus more on the sure-to-be-difficult classes. I still have time to decide, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities