Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 10:54 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times

Advertisements

I'm starting my freshman year UT-Austin in the fall, and one of the major factors in my decision was the scholarships offered to me. To keep them, I have to maintain a 3.5+ GPA. It's an intimidating task considering I'm majoring in engineering in a program nationally known for its rigor. I can't afford not to keep them really.

I've heard that getting a 3.5+ is very hard in any major, so it's a concern for me that I'll be constantly worrying about my grades rather than getting a well-rounded education. I realize this is something that varies from person to person, but I'm interested in hearing your opinions and experience with GPA and difficulty of college courses.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Half A and Half B grades. It's not as hard as it sounds. And seriously, you don't want to end up with a low GPA (< 3.5 GPA) if you plan on ever going for more education.

I personally found college easier than high school.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:29 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
3.5 ridiculously easy to maintain in my 2 liberal arts majors and my 2 liberal arts minors (in fact, close to 4.0). Much harder in my 1 science major and my 1 science minor (closer to 3.5).

I heard it was even more ridiculous in the engineering school.

Go, 'Horns!

Old 07-16-2011, 11:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
There's no way to conclusively answer a question that depends on so many variables both within and beyond the control of the student such as discipline, study habits, aptitude for the material, intellectual caliber of your fellow classmates, and grading curve (if any).

Old 07-17-2011, 12:21 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
I have a 3.72, as a senior, and haven't worked that hard.

ETA: I take lots of classes as well (per term)

Old 07-17-2011, 12:35 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
There's no way to conclusively answer a question that depends on so many variables both within and beyond the control of the student such as discipline, study habits, aptitude for the material, intellectual caliber of your fellow classmates, and grading curve (if any).
This. Where I attend college, while in theory everyone could get A's, professors often made the grading criteria so difficult that they were always curving up, and the ideal median was about a 2.8. As a result getting a 3.5 was doable, but somewhat difficult because you had to beat out a lot of other students. So much depends on 1. your abilities as a student and 2. the grading policies of your institution/department.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:55 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,265,760 times
The key to this is to start strong. If you finish the first year with a 3.5, it will be hard to maintain. Accept nothing short of 4.0 the first year.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:05 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I'm starting my freshman year UT-Austin in the fall, and one of the major factors in my decision was the scholarships offered to me. To keep them, I have to maintain a 3.5+ GPA. It's an intimidating task considering I'm majoring in engineering in a program nationally known for its rigor. I can't afford not to keep them really.

I've heard that getting a 3.5+ is very hard in any major, so it's a concern for me that I'll be constantly worrying about my grades rather than getting a well-rounded education. I realize this is something that varies from person to person, but I'm interested in hearing your opinions and experience with GPA and difficulty of college courses.
I was an engineering major with a scholarship that required a 3.5 GPA. It was extremely difficult for me. I actually ended up changing my major and losing my scholarship. I worked my way through the rest of my schooling since I didn't want to get loans. I was stressed and suicidal for a while because I got a C in one of my courses. It was tough. But in hindsight, I can see what mistakes I made.

I would say it IS DOABLE. It doesn't matter how good you are in math, make sure the tutors are available. Line up a tutor for each tough course at the beginning of each semester. It may be diffiuclt to date and have fun and still maintain such a high GPA as well, but for free money it is possible to say "No" to a lot of fun.

I spoke a second language fluently so in those days, it was easier for me to get a real job that could help pay for school. I understand the job market today is even tougher, and all companies are tightening up on perks like "tuition reimbursement" and a "living wage." So if you lose the scholarship, you may not have other options.

Again tips:
1. Party to a minimum which may be difficult. LOL Pick maybe one day a week to party. A LOT of Extra homework needs to be done to ACE the programming, calculus and other courses. But also RELAX. I didn't know how to do this effectively til I got older. If you can find a GF or BF in the SAME MAJOR, he/she will help you relax and you can study together. You also need to do something like jogging or whatever to RELAX from schoolwork. Get decent athletic shoes/gear for your wind-down sports.

2. Get tutors. Even if you're smart etc, you NEED extra help absorb all the material AND keep a high GPA. Tutors will help with HW and explain topics you may not understand in class. I had a lot of professors who were not the best teachers and some BIG classes. No matter how smart you are, you need extra help explaining topics in addition to class. The volume of work in a tough engineering course is pretty rigorous for undergrads. Get proper help.

3. Use the Professors - Introduce yourself to the professors for each class. Be polite. If there is anything SMALL you don't understand...go to Office hours and ask the professor to explain. Some people say ask questions in class, but I found it works better and saves time if you use office hours. Treat office hours like another class. Go there weekly and discuss the course with the professor.

BTW CONGRATULATIONS on getting an academic scholarship!

Last edited by kinkytoes; 07-17-2011 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: Thought I was responding to a parent, whoops.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:07 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
Aim for a solid A in every class. Don't get distracted; don't get behind. Get help if necessary. Someone thought you could do it, or you wouldn't have been offered the scholarships.

I agree with most of what kinkytoes said - but skip the partying altogether, at least for a year.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:11 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

This is spot on. A complex phenomenon with multiple drivers. However, you have a big advantage, motivation. And what one person finds easy another will find very challenging. I cannot predict your success, especially in engineering, but some common sense tips include:

1) Study up in advance. What will your core courses be? Don't go into them blind. Read at least a little about each, before the class, so you have at least grasp the whole point of the course.

2) Go to Every class. Go to the office hours. Go to the study groups. If the instructor can see you are hitting all notes, they will likely look favorably on you in marginal situations.

3) Avoid the trust fund kids who blow their parent's money partying. Many of them are bright enough, but immature. Hang out with the kids from China and Pakistan who know a C average means they are going home early. They are very motivated, for the same reasons as you, and they should be well represented in a national caliber engineering program.

4) Realize others will seem to be living life, while you are slaving away. A fool's bargain. If you can double down for the first two years until excellence becomes a habit and a personal expectation, you will have the rest of your life to do fun stuff.

Best wishes!!!

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 07-17-2011 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.