Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,992 times

Advertisements

So I've spent much time reading trough the many psychology threads that involve discussions on psychology degrees and while they are very informative it seems as though I'm even more confused with my future plans now then before.

I'm 21 years old and about to graduate with a bachelors degree in psychology. At first I figured that I would simply go for my PsyD instead of PhD because of the focus research is much less, but I also understand that the PhD gives you much more access to opportunities once finished and funding for PhD vs. PsyD is also an incentive. I've also began to read that if I were to acquire a MSW for example (licensed or not) that I would have many opportunities in psychology with decent pay (although some say very low pay) and have many of the same job opportunities as a PsyD, the only thing is that PsyD has more knowledge.

I was leaning towards work in counseling setting more then clinical although I know they are very similar, and would also like the chance to be a consultant (there was a speaker who spoke of being a consultant for the homeland security against terrorism).

So my questions are:
-Does the PsyD really give that much more opportunity and salary increase, and makes it worth the extra money and school, or would a masters in social work or counseling be a better option.
-If I do decide to go for my doctorate should I go with the PhD simply because of more opportunities over a PsyD even though I'd have to focus on research more, which I'm not totally against, just not too excited about.
-Should I obtain my Masters in social psychology for consulting and then obtain another degree either doctorate or masters in social work or counseling since thats what I would want that to be my main career choice and consulting every now and then, or does it seem like a bad idea to obtain two degrees

Thank you in advance for all the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 10:40 AM

51 posts, read 362,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocjrABG View Post
So I've spent much time reading trough the many psychology threads that involve discussions on psychology degrees and while they are very informative it seems as though I'm even more confused with my future plans now then before.

I'm 21 years old and about to graduate with a bachelors degree in psychology. At first I figured that I would simply go for my PsyD instead of PhD because of the focus research is much less, but I also understand that the PhD gives you much more access to opportunities once finished and funding for PhD vs. PsyD is also an incentive. I've also began to read that if I were to acquire a MSW for example (licensed or not) that I would have many opportunities in psychology with decent pay (although some say very low pay) and have many of the same job opportunities as a PsyD, the only thing is that PsyD has more knowledge.

I was leaning towards work in counseling setting more then clinical although I know they are very similar, and would also like the chance to be a consultant (there was a speaker who spoke of being a consultant for the homeland security against terrorism).

So my questions are:
-Does the PsyD really give that much more opportunity and salary increase, and makes it worth the extra money and school, or would a masters in social work or counseling be a better option.
-If I do decide to go for my doctorate should I go with the PhD simply because of more opportunities over a PsyD even though I'd have to focus on research more, which I'm not totally against, just not too excited about.
-Should I obtain my Masters in social psychology for consulting and then obtain another degree either doctorate or masters in social work or counseling since thats what I would want that to be my main career choice and consulting every now and then, or does it seem like a bad idea to obtain two degrees

Thank you in advance for all the help.
1. From what I've heard, the PsyD is a good degree. It really trains you on the clinical applications as opposed to just research. That being said, these programs tend to be EXPENSIVE and generally, you will not get any financial aid. Additionally, PsyD degrees are generally looked down upon. Many of the schools that offer them are seen as diploma mills. However, if you wanted to get hired, I think employers would hire the PsyD because it is cheaper.

2. Stop right there. If you aren't excited about research or are just thinking about psych grad school as, "well....this is a possibility" you are never going to survive. Absolutely everyone (psych grad students, professors, advisers) has said that a person has to have a STRONG passion for the subject to do well. If you decide to follow this route based on a half hearted attitude, I can guarantee that you will want to drop out or at least dislike your situation. Not to mention you will be most likely taking a spot from someone who truly wants to study the subject. It also seems as if you want to do counseling which is only a small part of doctorate psychology studies. A large amount of your grad studies will be focused on research (taking advanced stat classes, research classes, papers upon papers, etc). This is true even with a clinical psychology program. Depending on the university, you will also be expected (not forced) to continue with academia (research and teaching). After all this is what they prepare you for, not clinical applications.

3. This route (2 masters) seems like the best route for you. I don't think there is anything wrong with 2 masters, but it will be costly.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:39 AM

2 posts, read 9,576 times
I have receintly finished my bachlors in psychology, which would be better for me to choose a masters or PsyD, I want to work with children in any setting. Just confused as to what to do and the license part of the programs. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities