Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 05:10 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,877 times

Advertisements

Well, if the person already applied, then what they submitted "spent 1-3 school years in activities X, Y, Z" is still true. Like others have inferred, a lot of EC is fluff and people just attend to goldbrick. I doubt anyone is going to check at the last minute to see what activities one had in the last lap of their senior year in high school. Grades are more important, do not let those slip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 06:45 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
When I applied for college about a decade ago, I participated in a bunch of extracurriculars to put on my app to be more selective for the top universities. When I finally was admitted to my dream school, I quit them all.. I still ended up with decent grades Senior year but I could care less about ECs. I also reasoned since many people got away with a 0.5 to 1.0 drop in GPA Senior year without their admission being rescinded, I could quit EC's while maintaining the same grades (I was going to college to study after all.)

Fast forward now.. I have a younger cousin in the same boat applying for college and joining various extracurriculars he doesn't really care about (like volunteering at the hospital) just to make his college app more competitive. Do colleges still verify extracurriculars as much these days as in the past? Would slacking off extracurriculars after being admitted (but still keeping up academically) put someone's college admission in jeopardy?
Maybe if the OP comes back to the thread we can find out if what he wrote is accurate - that his nephew is JOINING various activities or if he had indeed been a member of some for four years. I know many students that suddenly developed interests in extra curricular activities their junior year. Not everyone can be an officer but showing four years worth of being a member of the same group counts. That's why on every application they ask not only if you were an officer, but what years you were a member.

I doubt that colleges take the time to see if students are indeed still active in EC's. I know from being involved in my kids HS activities that many seniors pull back from them after they apply. I don't think that's right and as adult, I would talk to that student about commitment. In my son's HS, the key club would kick members out if they didn't do so many volunteer hours and attend every meeting.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:49 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Instead of doing ECs to pad your admissions, it'd be best for you (generic you) to pick out activities you really enjoy and find worthwhile so that you can continue them despite having got your way with admissions...and can continue in college and thereafter.

First, it does look a lot better and more consistent on your grad school applications. And second, ECs are supposed to enhance you and your world, not just be some hoop you jump through. Sports and volunteering and research are good for your soul and have benefits that far outreach what you can 'get out of it.'

That's just a sad attitude.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:50 PM

765 posts, read 2,129,460 times
Senioritis is a bunch of B.S. Just because your graduating soon doesn't mean you should stop doing everything. It's just an excuse. They should rescind your admission if you slack off IMO, because that shows what kind of a person you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities