Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:07 PM

17 posts, read 21,396 times

Advertisements

Hello City-Data, lurked around these forums for quite some time, but have never posted until now. I have a question regarding getting into a university. I currently am a high school senior, and it is about that time where I should decide where I will attend college. unfortunately, my GPA is less than average. A lot less. I have an non-weighted 2.65, and scored a 1740 on my SAT. So far I have only been admitted to the University of Montana, and am debating whether to attend there, or to begin my adult life at a community college.

To my knowledge, there are certain CC's where if you maintain a certain GPA, you are guaranteed entry into a specific four year university after 2 years. I believe this applies to a some UC schools? My question to you wise folks, is if there are some of these situations besides those in California. Is there a certain CC say in Seattle, or Denver, if where I keep my grades up, I am admitted into either the University of Washington, or the university of Denver? Does anyone know of any of these relationships between CC's and 4 year universities?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 05:19 PM

912 posts, read 1,732,958 times
I don't know if those programs exist in Washington or Colorado. Do you live in Montana? The reason I ask is because it's virtually unheard of to attend an out-of-state community college. Hence the name COMMUNITY college. I think it would be difficult and expensive to attend an out-of-state community college because you'd have to find your own housing as community college's don't have dorms or any other kind of affordable student housing. It might be difficult to get a lease for an apartment since you wouldn't be able to have a full time job while taking a full courseload.

It's usually pretty easy to transfer from one four-year school to another, even after just one year. Most big public schools, even those with low freshman acceptance rates, will accept almost anyone with a good GPA after a year or two at another university.

If I were you, I would go to Montana for a year, try your hardest to get good grades and then apply to transfer to Washington or Denver after a year. You'll get to where you want to be faster than going to community college route.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:26 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Don't you have to pay out-of-state tuition if attending a university away from Montana?

Old 01-06-2013, 05:31 PM

Thanks, TheYo. I actually live in California. It's good to hear that transferring from Montana wouldn't be impossible.

Yes, if my previous plan were to go through, a good friend and I were going to try and lease an apartment. I realize now that might be tough. The friend and I have been working full time on summer and holidays the last couple years, so we both have money saved up, but yes, I would have to work throughout those 2 years. I know I could not work full time, but hopefully we could find some decent part time jobs before school started.

I am considering this because, correct me if I'm wrong, while attending the community college, albeit more expensive than community college in my home town, I would after a year gain state residency. This would lower the cost of the 4 year university after I transfer.

I appreciate the advice, and the Montana route does seem easier now.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:33 PM

Rubi3, I actually live in California, so I would have to pay out of state tuition to attend Montana in the first place. I don't believe community colleges would charge out of state tuition, because I would in fact be living in the city. Luckily for me, Montana is a WUE school and I attained a small scholarship (not sure how with a 2.6) so it would not be too expensive.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:36 PM

912 posts, read 1,732,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Don't you have to pay out-of-state tuition if attending a university away from Montana?
Denver is a private school, so the OP would be paying the same no matter what. Washington is public, so he/she would be paying more. I don't even know if community colleges have out-of-state tuition rates, since nobody really does that. I'm assuming they have some sort of additional fee though. I've seen some in Ohio that have higher tuition rates for those from outside the county the school is in.

It doesn't seem like money is the issue with the OP. Grades are the reason he/she is considering community college first.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
Denver is a private school, so the OP would be paying the same no matter what. Washington is public, so he/she would be paying more. I don't even know if community colleges have out-of-state tuition rates, since nobody really does that. I'm assuming they have some sort of additional fee though. I've seen some in Ohio that have higher tuition rates for those from outside the county the school is in.

It doesn't seem like money is the issue with the OP. Grades are the reason he/she is considering community college first.
Money is an issue, but not as much a concern as the grades. I have some great family, so as long as I work and do my share, they will help me out.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
When my daughters friend graduated from HS she moved to NY to go to a community college but had to wait 6 months for residency. I would think it would be the same all over as it is a community college and people locally go there. They are usually the easiest to get in with a low GPA.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Here is a list of the Colorado guaranteed transfer courses. Click on the links.

gtPathways Curriculum - Colorado Department of Higher Education

These courses will transfer to any public college in CO.

Transfers - Colorado Department of Higher Education
http://highered.colorado.gov/Academi...s/default.html

The University of Denver is not a public college. You would have to check with them about what courses will transfer.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:11 AM

Donna-501, I was looking up some community colleges, and discovered that residency was not needed, but that it was a little more expensive per course for non residents. She might have just wanted to save some money, or it could be different in New York, I only checked Washington.

Katiana, I screwed up, must have forgotten that Denver was a private school. I really appreciate you digging up those links, they are very useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities