Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:17 AM

12 posts, read 13,946 times

Advertisements

Hi, all! I'm a high school senior currently deciding on where to go to school. My brother goes to Pitt and I love it! Although I want to desperately leave the state, but don't know where to go. I want a big, well-known school with D1 sports for me to attend to, and I want the school itself to be located in a city. I NEED the urban setting, so if you know of anything matching this criteria, you input would be greatly appreciated.

What I like about Pitt:
1.) It is a big university, with much social life.
2.) The campus itself is within the city of Pittsburgh.
3.) The city of Pittsburgh is very busy, and there's much to do all the time. (It isn't "dead")
4.) It's a safe city, in comparison to Philadelphia!

P.S. distance isn't too much of a concern of mine, I just don't want to move to across the whole stat! Secondly, i'm not a fan of cold atmospheres. I would prefer going south, but i'll take all the information provided. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 10:15 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegSeekerr View Post
Hi, all! I'm a high school senior currently deciding on where to go to school. My brother goes to Pitt and I love it! Although I want to desperately leave the state, but don't know where to go. I want a big, well-known school with D1 sports for me to attend to, and I want the school itself to be located in a city. I NEED the urban setting, so if you know of anything matching this criteria, you input would be greatly appreciated.

What I like about Pitt:
1.) It is a big university, with much social life.
2.) The campus itself is within the city of Pittsburgh.
3.) The city of Pittsburgh is very busy, and there's much to do all the time. (It isn't "dead")
4.) It's a safe city, in comparison to Philadelphia!

P.S. distance isn't too much of a concern of mine, I just don't want to move to across the whole stat! Secondly, i'm not a fan of cold atmospheres. I would prefer going south, but i'll take all the information provided. Thanks
What do you want to major in? What type of school are you looking for: Top 50? Tier 2? Private? Public? Out of state, In state?

It looks to me like you are focusing too much on finding a college which makes you feel "comfortable" and too little on finding a college where you can get a good education and (most importantly) a major that will allow you to have a job after you graduate.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:51 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
You could really look at any flagship school in any state. They will all have what you want for the most part. Our kids want just the opposite, small campus, not in a city where most of the kids live and stay on campus all 4 years so we haven't really researched many big schools but pretty much any ACC, Big Ten, etc. conference school will give you want you want.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:52 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
West Virginia University may fit the bill. Morgantown is a much smaller city but it has everything else you are looking for. And it would make for a fun family rivalry!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:49 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,713 times
Carnegie Mellon or Duquesne University perhaps? seems like you relly want to be in Pittsburgh.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:14 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
I don't think CMU has anything else the OP is looking for besides the location and from what I understand Duquesne is in a questionable location. Also, CMU is pretty darn hard to get into compared to Pitt.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:36 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I don't think CMU has anything else the OP is looking for besides the location and from what I understand Duquesne is in a questionable location.
There is nothing wrong with Duquesne's location!

Old 09-27-2011, 02:59 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
Carnegie Mellon...
That would have been my suggestion, but for the DI part.

Other options:
Johns Hopkins (DI for Lacrosse, DIII everything else)
NYU
Cooper Union
Harvard
MIT (DI Rowing, DIII everything else)
BU
Boston College
Howard
VCU (Richmond is half the size of Pittsburg)
U of Miami
U of Chicago
Northwestern
U of Minneapolis
Washington University (St. Louis)
U of Arizona
Arizona State
UCLA
USC
Cal Tech (Sure, DIII, but it's Cal Tech! and in LA. If you don't think you'd get into CMU or MIT, don't even think of Cal Tech)
Stanford
UC Berkeley
UC Santa Barbara
UC San Diego
Fresno State (Fresno is as big as Pittsburgh)
Sacramento State
UC Berkeley
U of Oregon
Portland State
U of Washington

I'm sure I missed a lot, but I just thought geography east-west and big cities (400,000+) with schools in them.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:19 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
That would have been my suggestion, but for the DI part.

Other options:
Johns Hopkins (DI for Lacrosse, DIII everything else)
NYU
Cooper Union
Harvard
MIT (DI Rowing, DIII everything else)
BU
Boston College
Howard
VCU (Richmond is half the size of Pittsburg)
U of Miami
U of Chicago
Northwestern
U of Minneapolis
Washington University (St. Louis)
U of Arizona
Arizona State
UCLA
USC
Cal Tech (Sure, DIII, but it's Cal Tech! and in LA. If you don't think you'd get into CMU or MIT, don't even think of Cal Tech)
Stanford
UC Berkeley
UC Santa Barbara
UC San Diego
Fresno State (Fresno is as big as Pittsburgh)
Sacramento State
UC Berkeley
U of Oregon
Portland State
U of Washington

I'm sure I missed a lot, but I just thought geography east-west and big cities (400,000+) with schools in them.
Is this a new school???

Old 09-27-2011, 03:24 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Hmmm, a school resembling Pitt.

How about.........................Pitt?

This is like the movie director saying, "Get me a Mark Harmon (or whoever) type".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities