Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2011, 02:59 PM

31 posts, read 81,565 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

It's confused Melanie again, with another question I would love an opinion on?

I am 29, divorced, and take care of my mother part time as well as my daughter. We are barely making it financially between my two incomes because my mom is disabled, and my ex-husband well, he is a drop out law student who turned to a life of crime and is being released from prison once again but cannot help me, because he must first help himself.

To make a long story short. I am a online undergrad student whom wishes I would've went to college at the age of 17. But can't cry over spilled milk. I have several interests for yrs even up until now I have always been great at acting and singing, but never knew for sure whether I should pursue it being the schools are very expensive, and you can't do very much with a bs in fine arts or MFA. So don't want to struggle and decided to get into that maybe as a hobby like pursue commercial auditions things of that nature.

So I narrowed my education decision down to more realistic careers like criminal just/criminology, psychology, and finally business, which is my third choice, but can imagine will be the easiest in finding a great job after doing the thorough investigated of all of the various careers that fall within these majors. Out of Criminal Justice/Criminology, the only careers I found interesting was Criminal Analyst, which only requires the minimal BS degree. A Criminologist, which requires a Masters. Or anything not linking to fighting or law enforcement would better suit me. However my lifestyle has not been perfect in the past 10yrs of my life, mostly due to my occasional recreational drug use. I have no criminal history whatsoever clean as a whistle. But has done like two different drugs on occasion not like consistently, but enough to fail a polygraph test. So that's what made me stir away from criminal justice/criminology. Psychology speaks for itself because you are much greater at being successful in that major if you go all the way to PhD level which I don't mind, but I am almost 30, and hate the debt I have now lol!! Everyone tells me how great I'd be as a counselor or therapist, even marriage/relationship counselor, only because I am so good at helping people make decisions, guide them in right directions and just help them in any way possible. (Funny I can't make a decision for myself worth a lick )

So with all that said, I have recently switched my major to Business, only because I know I can get a great job and can still attend classes online, What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 06:02 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
What are we supposed to think? If you have a significant drug history, a CJ degree will be a waste of time. If interested, look at substance abuse counselling as a career field. I'm not sure how you know you can get a great job when there are plenty of people who are looking for crappy jobs. What exactly do you want to do?

Old 10-16-2011, 06:23 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,125,241 times
Not sure what state you are in but this kind of program would be perfect for you: LCDC Training | Licenced Chemical Dependency Counselor Training in Texas
I work in the non profit field and the best counselors are those who have their own personal experiences to share with clients.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:28 AM

360 posts, read 1,019,563 times
Unless you get a Masters level degree psych degrees are generally useless for career prospects. The only way to make a psych degree pay is to get a PhD, PsyD OR go the social route work where you get an MSW and become licensed in your state. Although, I'm not sure if you CAN be licensed given what you're alluding to here with drug use.

Also, I take it you have NO degree at current as you're talking about needing to get a BS first. I really recommend going to a brick and mortar community college if you can since they're a LOT cheaper than online schools and offer way more career counseling for non-traditional students, which I think you need.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:05 PM

143 posts, read 378,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilweezycarter82 View Post
Hi Everyone,

It's confused Melanie again, with another question I would love an opinion on?

I am 29, divorced, and take care of my mother part time as well as my daughter. We are barely making it financially between my two incomes because my mom is disabled, and my ex-husband well, he is a drop out law student who turned to a life of crime and is being released from prison once again but cannot help me, because he must first help himself.

To make a long story short. I am a online undergrad student whom wishes I would've went to college at the age of 17. But can't cry over spilled milk. I have several interests for yrs even up until now I have always been great at acting and singing, but never knew for sure whether I should pursue it being the schools are very expensive, and you can't do very much with a bs in fine arts or MFA. So don't want to struggle and decided to get into that maybe as a hobby like pursue commercial auditions things of that nature.

So I narrowed my education decision down to more realistic careers like criminal just/criminology, psychology, and finally business, which is my third choice, but can imagine will be the easiest in finding a great job after doing the thorough investigated of all of the various careers that fall within these majors. Out of Criminal Justice/Criminology, the only careers I found interesting was Criminal Analyst, which only requires the minimal BS degree. A Criminologist, which requires a Masters. Or anything not linking to fighting or law enforcement would better suit me. However my lifestyle has not been perfect in the past 10yrs of my life, mostly due to my occasional recreational drug use. I have no criminal history whatsoever clean as a whistle. But has done like two different drugs on occasion not like consistently, but enough to fail a polygraph test. So that's what made me stir away from criminal justice/criminology. Psychology speaks for itself because you are much greater at being successful in that major if you go all the way to PhD level which I don't mind, but I am almost 30, and hate the debt I have now lol!! Everyone tells me how great I'd be as a counselor or therapist, even marriage/relationship counselor, only because I am so good at helping people make decisions, guide them in right directions and just help them in any way possible. (Funny I can't make a decision for myself worth a lick )

So with all that said, I have recently switched my major to Business, only because I know I can get a great job and can still attend classes online, What do you guys think?

A business degree is no guarantee of a job. A lot of the business majors I know are starting out in a low level retail/salesman type job now, which probably wouldn't be much of an improvement over your current situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities