Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 02:46 AM

104 posts, read 274,352 times

Advertisements

Hello All, I am about to get my Phd (Media Studies) and I was wondering what the job market for liberal arts Assistant Prof is like in New England?

I have heard horror stories about college teachers working several part-time jobs at junior colleges and spending half their day commuting for meager wages.

I currently live in Europe (wife is French) and we have three small kids and we are thinking of moving back to the States and we have narrowed our search down to, but not exclusively, New England.

Can anyone advise?

Cheers, Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 12:21 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,603,095 times
Job market is kind of non-existent in most of liberal arts. Your specific field doesn't sound very common, either, which will make it harder. You will need at least one to three publications in good journals and a strong record of research to be competitive for anything tenure-track. Moreover, almost no one chooses their place of residence in academia - you first find the job, and then move there. New England would be very competitive. Most assistant professors have to take jobs out in the middle of nowhere, and then consider themselves lucky to have those jobs. And I should add that even strong candidates are spending at least a year on the market, sometimes more.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:59 PM

Thank you Marie, for that frank reply... you cleared up a lot of my questions.

I wasn't under the illusion that I could pick and choose schools, I was just wondering how competitive it was in NE, and you confirmed what I already expected to be the case: probably not easy.

As an American I am more of a novelty here, so I think I will stay and acquire some experience and then perhaps apply back home after a few years...

Thanks again.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:02 PM

12,123 posts, read 23,416,161 times
You may find these folks helpful.

Chronicle Forums - Index

Old 10-19-2011, 01:43 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,526,908 times
Emerson College in Boston cranks out *a lot* of people in Media Studies. FYI

Old 10-19-2011, 02:03 AM

Thanks Joe! Thanks BrightDog!

Old 10-19-2011, 05:45 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,399,786 times
You might want to check The Chronicle Jobs - The Chronicle of Higher Education and Higher Ed Jobs HigherEdJobs - Jobs in Higher Education. Most universities post their faculty on one or both of these sites.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
You might want to check The Chronicle Jobs - The Chronicle of Higher Education and Higher Ed Jobs HigherEdJobs - Jobs in Higher Education. Most universities post their faculty on one or both of these sites.

Thank you very much Eresh... those links are invaluable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities