Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2011, 05:56 PM

919 posts, read 1,698,894 times

Advertisements

CUNY City College. I really liked the school, I like the atmosphere, I am familiar with the area, architecture is beautiful and the dorms are cute. My only compaint is that th Towers smelled a little like B.O, and the buildings inside seem to be very outdated.

I visited the college of saint rose to, i liked the building but I couldn't see myself there.

Aside from size, what else should I be looking for? When I see the college I WANT to go to will I know???

Also any opinions on these schools?

Rutgers University (New Brunswick)
SUNY Cortland

I want to look at Le Moyne, and Syracuse but I'm not sure yet. Where else do you recommened looking?

Also have you looked at any schools you'd like to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 07:41 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,606,338 times
Unless your parents are fabulously wealthy, I can't see why you would look at private schools at all if you can get into a public school. Le Moyne, for example, offers no advantages over a SUNY school. Syracuse as well - it's big and people have heard of it, but it's isn't prestigious and I have about a dozen high school friends who graduated from there and didn't get anything special out of it for all that money. My friends who went to CUNY really loved it and are quite successful now. Cortland is a great school for education but otherwise doesn't offer the job opportunities of Cuny - it's nice to be able to look for jobs before you graduate, and that's tough in Cortland or any small college town. Consider other public schools would be my advice. Everyone I know who went to Suny geneseo absolutely loved it - really pretty place, cute little town (emphasis on little, though). If you can't get into a suny or cuny, consider a public school in another state. even out of state it will be cheaper than a private school. virginia has great public schools, for example, and california. Shopping for a school is not like shopping for a wedding dress - you need to be rational about your decision, not wait for a gut feeling.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:00 AM

919 posts, read 1,698,894 times
the only other Cuny school im looking at is queens and maybe brooklyn, because those are the only ones with housing and being anhour and a half from the city commuting is not an option and living in and apartment where i'd be paying 1200+ a month and having to commute to my school.

Also some private schools will be a better cost of a SUNY for example estimated 20k and at Saint rose after receiving the scholarship i'd be paying 20-25k a year. So that is another reason I am looking at private schools.

My grades are close to a 4.0 before the weight for my AP and honors classes are added, and i am a hispanic female, so I have been looking at the scholarships offered and that I can probably get, and qualify for those schools whom offer a lot of help are the only privates I am looking at... And I would be staying within the tri state area and PA. Geneso, fredoina, oswego, Plattsburg and buffalo are all to far.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:29 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,882,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
Aside from size, what else should I be looking for? When I see the college I WANT to go to will I know???
I wouldn't worry about architecture or whether the dorms are cute. Do the schools you're looking at have the program of study you want to pursue? Are the professors really good, or merely adequate? Does it have a reputation as a "party school" and, if so, is that what you're looking for? How is a degree from those schools viewed by future employers?

Have you been discussing this with your high school guidance counselor or college counselor? That should be your starting point when asking these questions.

ETA: I received my Masters Degree at CCNY and was thoroughly UNimpressed with the program. Undergraduate classes might be better but, looking at the SAT scores and GPAs of admitted students, it wouldn't surprise me if they're not. (Honors programs excepted, of course.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities