Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 08:47 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,172,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I have a colleague at work going for her PhD. She works all day, works in the uni lab 3 nights a week and then on the weekends. I'm not sure what course work is involved, which I imagine is minimal, but then there's the time needed to spend writing. My god.
Yeah that's the position I'm in. You don't get much writing done, lol.

I went straight for the PhD, but I was in a funded program so it was like having a job (a poor job ) and I got full tuition remission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 08:57 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,207,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Yeah that's the position I'm in. You don't get much writing done, lol.

I went straight for the PhD, but I was in a funded program so it was like having a job (a poor job ) and I got full tuition remission.
That's really the way to go. If you can just go straight through it's just the best bet. Halting a career to go F/T is not an easy decision, and working in industry while doing a PhD is probably like having 3 jobs.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
That's really the way to go. If you can just go straight through it's just the best bet. Halting a career to go F/T is not an easy decision, and working in industry while doing a PhD is probably like having 3 jobs.
my dissertation is being written at night (well after the World Series is over) and a couple hours on weekends. I don't think my adviser is very happy with me taking a job, but it was too good of an opportunity to pass up.

There is absolutely no way I could have gone through the bulk of the program with another job. It was easily 45-55 hours a week when you throw in the teaching load and the research in my first 3 years.

Plus they don't offer tuition remission if you don't teach or do research for the uni.

It's not easy now, with no classes, and I am definitely not doing any other research right now. Luckily I got a couple papers submitted to my national conference, so it looks like I am still getting research done, lol.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:12 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,132,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Seems like this is the new trend for people trying to avoid the bad job market.

Not sure how they expect to benefit from this in most fields. Cant see an employer paying a higher wage if they have no experience outside of certain fields, but I could be wrong.

What are your thoughts?

I'm going my Masters right away.

But then, I'm no 22 Year old.

I'm doing it for a couple reasons:

1. I took 18-19 hours so I'd have enough GI bill left
2. I HATE school, not coming back. Knock it out now
3. easier to roll right into it rather than trying to balance work/school
4. Higher pay scale (Which is why I'm doing it)
5. Everybody has a BA... Masters is the Old undergrad degree.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
my dissertation is being written at night (well after the World Series is over) and a couple hours on weekends. I don't think my adviser is very happy with me taking a job, but it was too good of an opportunity to pass up.

There is absolutely no way I could have gone through the bulk of the program with another job. It was easily 45-55 hours a week when you throw in the teaching load and the research in my first 3 years.

Plus they don't offer tuition remission if you don't teach or do research for the uni.

It's not easy now, with no classes, and I am definitely not doing any other research right now. Luckily I got a couple papers submitted to my national conference, so it looks like I am still getting research done, lol.
Hmm, how do you think it would be without having to teach? My company will fully fund a PhD, so teaching isn't necessary. Still, there is some course work involved, perhaps a lot if all grad classes don't transfer, and then there is the research. At my last uni 3-4 publications were typical and if a student has to follow suit with a prof's research interests, that might not be ideal time-wise. Eh, I've been on the fence with this for some time now. It's such a huge commitment.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Hmm, how do you think it would be without having to teach? My company will fully fund a PhD, so teaching isn't necessary. Still, there is some course work involved, perhaps a lot if all grad classes don't transfer, and then there is the research. At my last uni 3-4 publications were typical and if a student has to follow suit with a prof's research interests, that might not be ideal time-wise. Eh, I've been on the fence with this for some time now. It's such a huge commitment.
I'd say with classes and research you would still be looking at 30-40 hours (this is dependent on the program obviously).

We usually took 9-10 hours, which meant around 20-25 hours of course work typically. Then another 10-20 hours in the lab depending on where the research was (I was in social sciences so there was some down time in the cycle).

It's doable, but you would probably be pretty miserable for 2-3 years working anywhere from 60-80 hours.

In our program 9-10 hours transfer from a masters, but I would look into it because obviously it is different everywhere.

GL on the decision I could imagine it would be a very difficult one to make.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I'd say with classes and research you would still be looking at 30-40 hours (this is dependent on the program obviously).

We usually took 9-10 hours, which meant around 20-25 hours of course work typically. Then another 10-20 hours in the lab depending on where the research was (I was in social sciences so there was some down time in the cycle).

It's doable, but you would probably be pretty miserable for 2-3 years working anywhere from 60-80 hours.

In our program 9-10 hours transfer from a masters, but I would look into it because obviously it is different everywhere.

GL on the decision I could imagine it would be a very difficult one to make.
Yea, that's what I figure. A few years of misery. At this stage in the game (trying to start a family), forget it lol. I'm still on fence if I want to drive myself crazy as a PhD.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:25 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,878,582 times
My gf is going for her masters now. She is only 22.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:24 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,015,537 times
Getting a master's immediately after you graduate really is a mixed bag. For some, it's a combination of not knowing what to really do with yourself while training yourself for something if and when you do figure it out. In short, going back into school immediately is a reassuring safe haven.

For others it is purely about momentum. It's much easier to get a Master's while you are still familiar with certain habits in higher education (extended reading, writing, research etc) than to get a job, and then go back to school and relearn those habits while still holding onto several other new responsibilities.

I know several people who would love to go back, but now find it impossible with a job and new lifestyle after a few years of being out of academia.

I also don't entirely agree that one should work first before going back. Namely for the reasons that I stated above, but also because going back to graduate school is absolutely fine for certain graduate school programs. Going back immediately for a degree in liberal arts, social sciences and hard sciences for the most is harmless. However I would agree that Professional degrees such as MBAs, MPAs, MSWs, Law school etc should ideally be attained after you have spent time in a specific related field that you would like to commit professionally to over a life time.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:56 AM

37,151 posts, read 42,250,817 times
I do know many young people going just because they don't have many other options right now. I also know a few who already finished and still can't find work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities