Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 07:21 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,484,731 times

Advertisements

The easiest and most accurate way to find out is to "google" pharmacy programs. The school's website will tell you the prerequisites and how long the programs is.

Pharmacy Entry Level - Creighton University

Quote:
The Doctor of Pharmacy degree requires a minimum of two years of pre-pharmacy and four years of professional education. Many students complete three years or a baccalaureate degree before beginning professional education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 01:42 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,304,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandem View Post
this random website says 8 years yet, real people answering from experience on this forum say 5/6 years... who to believe ??

there's a reason why these forums are up, so you can ask real people... i dont trust most the stuff i find from just 'googling'

The point is that a minimal amount of research on the internet, to include looking at a couple of pharm programs, will provide a timely and accurate answer without waiting for strangers to reply on the internet.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:04 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,387,598 times
Some people will never be pharmacists. I can state that I would never be one, even if I had a goal to become one. If the brain matter is not there, it is not going to happen. I can't add to save my life. It is as remote for me to become a pharmacist, as it is for Roseanne Barr to become a Vegas showgirl...not gonna happen...ever...no matter what....

Old 11-23-2011, 11:18 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,934,509 times
Eh, I hope you really know what you are getting yourself into with Pharm. Pharm is starting to have massive amounts of oversaturation in the labor market because schools have been overhyping 6 figure salaries that pharmacists supposedly can make. A Pharm degree will leave you with massive amounts of debt in student loans for increasingly dimmer job prospects. Pharm is starting to go the way of law degrees. There's absolutely no control over the number of grads schools can pump out every year.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:54 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,442,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Eh, I hope you really know what you are getting yourself into with Pharm. Pharm is starting to have massive amounts of oversaturation in the labor market because schools have been overhyping 6 figure salaries that pharmacists supposedly can make. A Pharm degree will leave you with massive amounts of debt in student loans for increasingly dimmer job prospects. Pharm is starting to go the way of law degrees. There's absolutely no control over the number of grads schools can pump out every year.
Agreed you can likely still get a decent job but you might have to be open to living in a rural place like Arkansas or Kentucky.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:09 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,387,598 times
There is a 12am-8am shift at the CVS in my town, starting pay, $75,000.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:28 PM

184 posts, read 473,026 times
i think that pharmacist jobs are plentiful, there are industrial pharmacists, hospital pharmacists (every town/city has a hospital) and private pharmacist (open your own pharmacist branch) ... and also, geting through the 6 years isn't easy.. im pretty sure pharmacist are on the jobs-in-demand list..

Old 11-26-2011, 02:52 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,934,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandem View Post
i think that pharmacist jobs are plentiful, there are industrial pharmacists, hospital pharmacists (every town/city has a hospital) and private pharmacist (open your own pharmacist branch) ... and also, geting through the 6 years isn't easy.. im pretty sure pharmacist are on the jobs-in-demand list..
Are you sure?

The number of new pharm schools that keep opening continues to explode as well as the number of new grads each year. It sounds exactly like the story of law school with regards to over saturation of the labor market. The two biggest employers of pharmacists, Walgreens and CVS, are starting to become more centralized in order to save on costs and so that they can hire less pharmacists. Walgreens is experimenting with a new program called POWER, where customers drop off their prescriptions to a store and pick it up the next day. If they have a medication question, they call a central line where they talk to an operator. This way Walgreens doesn't need to hire a pharmacist for every store, just some for a centralized location.

Drug Topics - June 2011 (flip through that on a short article on the over supply of pharm degrees)

Read about POWER from our very own city-data members:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/orlan...ens-power.html

You can also read about what the job market is like for new grads from pharmacists themselves:
Pharmacy Job Market/Outlook - Page 25 | Pharmacy | Student Doctor Network

Maybe 10 years ago there was a shortage of pharmacists. But schools saw how lucrative educating pharmacy students is and can easily convince people to shell out huge amounts of money for a degree by pumping up the potential salaries PharmDs can make. It's called a bubble. As a result, you have more Pharm schools opening up in the past 10 years than opened up over the past 50. Over saturation is starting to kill the law field and it is just beginning to poison the pharm field. Until a central organization starts regulating law and pharm schools and deciding how many new schools can open and how many graduates schools are allowed to pump out, you can expect these fields to become increasing over saturated with labor.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:40 PM

885 posts, read 1,554,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Some people will never be pharmacists. I can state that I would never be one, even if I had a goal to become one. If the brain matter is not there, it is not going to happen. I can't add to save my life. It is as remote for me to become a pharmacist, as it is for Roseanne Barr to become a Vegas showgirl...not gonna happen...ever...no matter what....
That's what people thought of me when I was struggling in high school, that I won't ever going to do well in college. Well, few years later, I stood in front of a judge successfully arguing my motions, as an attorney.

That's right, I kicked ass in college, and then went on to law school and passed the bar exam with one try.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:55 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,654,820 times
I don't claim to remotely understand the climate of pharmacists. My ex-sister in law(bro in laws ex wife), was a pharmacist. I always keep an ear out as its one of those jobs I didn't think paid that much, but make sense it does.

But I did see a recent news story, about cutting back on pharmacists. There is a big drive to do prepackaged dosage amounts, less "prepping" of drugs, at the pharmacy, and more input into a national database.

Now this doesn't mean pharmacists will go away but something to consider when you are fresh out of school in 6-8 years or whatever. Just something to consider.

It's seems like a great job, but you know there has to be a think tank of how to remove probably the highest paid employee in every walgreens/cvs/rite aid.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Last edited by MustangEater82; 11-27-2011 at 06:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities