Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 03:39 PM

9,371 posts, read 13,040,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
To be fair, neither Pitt or Penn State are true "state schools"; rather they are "state supported". So they are considerably more expensive than Pennsylvania's true public universities...the PASSHE schools. However none of the PASSHE schools can compete with either Pitt or Penn State in terms of quality. So the bottom line is: PA residents really get shafted when it comes to higher education!
This is true. Both are still a steal in comparison to private universities of similar quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 04:10 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,850,488 times
I earned BS in Electrical Engineering (starting in 1979) for $500 per semester which included books. It was $350 for tuition, about $100 for books, and $50 for health fees, parking, and miscellaneous. I lived at home.
When I got my first job, I was sitting next to some guys who graduated from Georgia Tech and had $20,000 student loans (1986).

Old 11-28-2011, 04:52 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,532,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
Average in-state tuition and fees at four-year public colleges rose an additional $631 this fall, or 8.3 percent, compared with a year ago.
Nationally, the cost of a full credit load has passed $8,000, an all-time high. Throw in room and board, and the average list price for a state school now runs more than $17,000 a year, according to the twin annual reports on college costs and student aid published Wednesday by the College Board.

add another year since most people take 5 to graduate. 85k is considered a reasonable price for a degree at a state school these days.
Average debt for a public university is around 20k so you clearly don't have any idea of how to calculate costs.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:44 PM

45,529 posts, read 60,771,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
To be fair, neither Pitt or Penn State are true "state schools"; rather they are "state supported". So they are considerably more expensive than Pennsylvania's true public universities...the PASSHE schools. However none of the PASSHE schools can compete with either Pitt or Penn State in terms of quality. So the bottom line is: PA residents really get shafted when it comes to higher education!
If you think that move to MD and see what a real crap, overpriced state university system looks like. PA's is actually considered one of the best in the US both in quality and access.

Quote:
its a state school im talking about. overpopulated and you cant get into the classes you need, plus dumb useless requirements that everybody has to take.
Only repeating what others have said, core curricular requirements are not just at state schools. Some of you young ones need to get out more and see what really is, not what you think is true.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,186,757 times
Many state schools are crap. Many are not. A few are even good.

However, if you're complaining about the cost to go to a public school, then just go to a good private one. It's cheaper after grants.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:34 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,407,796 times
There are quite a few state schools that are most certainly not crap. Especially in the Southeast.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,186,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
There are quite a few state schools that are most certainly not crap. Especially in the Southeast.
I agree.... not just in the Southeast... but all over. Certainly not all crappy. But they're not great.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:39 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,407,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I agree.... not just in the Southeast... but all over. Certainly not all crappy. But they're not great.
I would definitely argue some are great and yes not just in the Southeast. The only reason I single out the SE is because the SE and California are known for their public universities as opposed to the NE which is known for its private universities.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 11-28-2011 at 10:23 PM..

Old 11-29-2011, 06:15 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,569,765 times
Quote:
Average in-state tuition and fees at four-year public colleges rose an additional $631 this fall, or 8.3 percent, compared with a year ago.
Nationally, the cost of a full credit load has passed $8,000, an all-time high. Throw in room and board, and the average list price for a state school now runs more than $17,000 a year, according to the twin annual reports on college costs and student aid published Wednesday by the College Board.

Add another year since most people take 5 to graduate. 85k is considered a reasonable price for a degree at a state school these days.
Let's try to keep politics out of this thread please.

I agree that core curriculum is the norm at the majority of colleges, public or private. As to whether those classes are "crap" or not is the topic for another thread.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:48 AM

910 posts, read 1,678,950 times
Thanks to help from my parents I'll have around 27k in loans, partially die to the fact that I went to a private university for a year before transferring to a state school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities