Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:22 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,820,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
I am actually from the bronx so I do know the general area of fordham and lehman college, I just wish I would find someone who has actually gone.

Anyway I know the list seems like it's all over the place and it's only because I just have no clue how to limit them. I visited two colleges that were the completley opposite of eachother- the college of saint rose and city college in manhattan. Although the college of saint rose was a beautiful school i just didn't feel like it was good for me. My high school has 4000 kids and Saint rose had about 3000 I just felt like it was too close knit for me, so I've switched my focus to bigger schools or school that are just as small but in a bigger city (hence the small schools in/ Near NYC).

As far as Boricua and Dominican college they're just ideas, they definatley are not at the top of my list but I was drawn to them because they do have a high Latino presence and I feel that personally I would feel most comfortable going to a school where there is a decent size of minority students which is also my problem with the SUNY schools, both SUNY's I mentioned are like 90% + white population which is why again I don't have more of the SUNY schools on my list.

And I don't think I said this before but suggestions are welcom because I am just looking around at this point.

Someone mentioned fordham being the best "brand" school, I'm not too concerned with the brand of a school, I mean I do have the grades to get into very good schools GPA wise (I have a 4.0 and I'm 27 in my class of 838) but my tests scores aren't great (based on the PSAT I don't plan on doing too well on the SAT). I know most schools do give scholarships for students like me ( I am hispanic as well) but for a lot of those schools I noticed scholarships that would usually benefit a latino student also have a financial requirement which I usually am WAY over. I know these schools give a lot of money so that's why I am looking into these as of now.

I want to major in Pyschology/ education or Sociology or something in a child related field I'm not exactly 100% decided on that yet. But I do want to work with children and I want to work in an inner city school district (i don't have that "freedom Writers" teacher mentality though, I know that's unrealistic.. lol)
It sounds like you want a place with a strong programs in the social sciences and education. Given your career interests maybe family studies, social work, etc in addition to education, sociology, psychology majors perhaps? And since you know you want to work with kids in the inner city you might want to seek out a school that has an "urban teaching" track, and places students in those schools for student teaching or practicums? Most of your list is good. Lemoyne (sp?) college also might work, it's near Syracuse I think and they have a decent endowment. Have you considered LIU? The New School might also be a good option, they are very much into the things you describe, but I think it's fairly hard to get in. You maybe competitive though, I don't think you SAT score has to be as high as you are thinking. Small liberal arts schools near cities could also be a good option to explore.

The one thing I will stress is not to let money limit your choices too much. Just look for a great fit at first, apply, and then see what kind of financial aid package they offer you if you get in. FILL OUT THE FAFASA EARLY, it will get you first in line for aid. Most students don't pay full price at any college. You can always apply to some low cost backups.

Also, the racial makeup of a campus is not as important I've found as the support services offered and the sense of community present on the campus. Some schools don't have a lot of students of color but the ones that are there have formed a very supportive community and/or get along well with the larger population. Also, in a large school like say SUNY Buffalo, the percentage is small but the raw number is large, if that makes sense.

Are you planning to stay in NYC after graduation? When I say brand I don't mean it in an elitist way, I mean it in a practical way. When it comes to getting a job after graduation, you don't want to have to work against your college's reputation. Some of the schools on your list mean zilch outside the NYC area (not even if you apply to grad school at another college) which is not a problem if you aren't going to leave, but if you change your mind later it could work against you. So just keep that in mind.

Anyway, good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 11:36 PM

877 posts, read 2,014,501 times
Boricua College is pretty much a private school for Puerto Ricans (not that I'm generalizing but it mainly attracts Puerto Ricans and it's not that well known here)

SUNY Oneonta is pretty great, actually. It's up and coming to be one of the top SUNY colleges. i was actually thinking about going there at one point but it's hard to get in.

Fordham is a great school but it's just not notable as it used to be but it's a staple school.

Lehman is good, but not that great. There are much better CUNY schools out there. Do you know what you want to major in?

and Pace...well, I haven't heard too much great things about it.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:32 PM

919 posts, read 1,692,558 times
Hey everyone! I actually visited Pace Westchester, and I really, really liked it. Although the school only has 2400 students the campus does not show it! All the students I met were really nice (even those that met when I walked around alone, without the group), despite what someone said about students dressing like business everyone was walking around in hoodies and sweats, it actually seemed like a really nice relaxed enviornment. Something else that I really, really liked was the fact that everything on campus is free- free laundry, free tutoring, free gym access, free gym classes. I loved the gym and the pool and I loved the fact that they had intramural sports...

What I didn't like however was the bathrooms, the dorm size seemed smaller then the other 2 dorms that i've seen, and the price... but looking at the scholarships I can qualify for a lot of money so, I think I'll be applying and see what sort of package I get.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:51 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,547,176 times
Glad that you liked Pace! I agree that between going to an Ivy League College and a community college there are so many choices!

People DO immediately jump to "The Community College Conclusion" if students do not have straight As they immediately start recommending the local CC. I think they are both snobby and lazy.

Another college you might want to have a look at is Mercy College in Dobbs Ferry NY.Pretty healthu Hispanic population. www.mercy.edu

Old 01-29-2012, 04:03 AM

467 posts, read 713,944 times
I think I've posted on other threads you've made, but I'm just telling you that you shouldn't rule yourself out of better schools than what you've listed. Most of these schools you will get into very easily aside from Fordham, considering that you're ranked in the top 4% of your class and have a 4.0 GPA. With a 145 PSAT, you could probably pull a 1700 SAT if you study a little bit. I got a 156 my sophomore year, a 182 my junior year and finished with a 1970 on the actual SAT and a 29 on the ACT (I recommend this if the SAT isn't going your way). If you are low-income, private schools will give you plenty of aid. You should look further than in-state, because you could do much better than it.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:18 PM

@ TarheelsMatt it's not that I want to sell myself short, I just feel like I shouldn't look at schools OOS (since I want to work in nY), and then I want to major in pyschology or education and those are pretty generic- these 2 tend to be pretty strong at most schools you know??

As far as the SAT/ACT go I do plan on trying both, i have review books for each and the ACT definitley seems like more my test...

And the low income- forget about it.. I am in that awful bracket of people who the gov thinks make enough to pay mostly out of pocket for college when we really can't! So I would be taking out loans and studying from scholarships (hopefully!)

Old 02-02-2012, 04:54 PM

513 posts, read 1,168,611 times
I went to Hunter College in Manhatten....it's part of CUNY. I got a great education. They have a social work program, too. Nice mix of students, too....it's an urban campus feel. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:02 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,363,892 times
Jazzii--I wouldn't worry too much about going outside NY for college but I think your instincts are right about staying in the NYC area. Don't rule out schools in NJ, Penn, maybe even Mass, and Conn. They are all still close enough to NYC to be on the radars for employers in NYC.

Also, bathrooms and dorm room size seem minor after you move in and get situated. While they may be small, you really don't spend THAT much time in your dorm room and it is big enough to do what you want to do there, study and sleep.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:57 PM

@ gofgol I know that hose places are close enough but I'm trying to stay in NY because all other states except for Pennsylvania have different requirements for teaching which would mean regardless I'd have to take additional classes and go through the process of applying for a NYS teaching license.

And I know, the bathroom and dorm wouldn't be enough to keep me away, I was just a bit taken aback by the difference in what I've already seen.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:48 PM

22 posts, read 29,584 times
Default From here in Texas

I would say that I have heard of none of them except for Fordham. Maybe that will tell you which of them has better rep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities