Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:24 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,367,277 times

Advertisements

After 8 years I broke the 6 figure mark (well ... including bonuses and overtime work,etc I broke it 4 years ago but that was exceptional timing). I see some other engineers making more than me but I don't sweat it, because it's just money and I get great benefits.

The answer to your question is "maybe." Depends on the major. The highest paid engineers are software engineers and electrical engineers related to computers. Aerospace and mechanical also do well. Civil and engineering "technology" majors? Not so much. And some engineering professions basically require a master's and certifications to do anything important.

In my experience, if you go on to a PhD in engineering your starting salary will be at my level, so if you are really really interested in something and want to research it, then do so, and within 4-5 years of your undergrad, you will be earning much more than other people starting out.

So yes, do go into engineering. It does pay off. And what you learn in engineering will allow you to do the technical work if you do ever go into business on your own or have a great idea and want to patent it. It is just HARD WORK. You just have to slog through it. You will have classes you hate and don't do well in. Learn from them, and what inspires you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 12:24 PM

27,599 posts, read 28,706,672 times
This link answers the question fairly as possible:

Best Undergrad College Degrees By Salary

Old 02-05-2012, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 18,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
++

My last software job paid people with a BS around 60k starting, which was a good salary for the location. A quick search shows that Google, Microsoft, Intel, HP, Apple, Amazon, and Facebook all come in well below 100k starting. I happen to know for a fact that Intel's researchers (the ones with PhDs) start at about 120k.
Salaries have increased in the last 18 months.
GOOG, MSFT, AMZN all pay over 100k (base salary + bonus + stock) for starting engineers now in seattle.
Senior Engineers and Program/Product Managers earn around 175K at these companies (glassdoor data is old and inaccurate now).

Old 02-05-2012, 08:15 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,988,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This link answers the question fairly as possible:

Best Undergrad College Degrees By Salary
Payscale has to be off on the Petroleum stats. Even UT Austin and TAMU grads don't average that high.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:19 AM

141 posts, read 304,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
Not the Entry-level Petroleum Engineer.

The link below is as good as it gets for Entry-level Petroleum Engineers.
Survey Results for Texas A&M University Post Graduation Plans <br />Spring 2011 (Generated 07/06/2011) (You'd have to scroll down a little for the stats on Petroleum grads.)

It's only the best grads who get paid 6 figure salaries right out of school.
Those are base salaries and don't take into account the signing bonuses. Typically signing bonuses are $15 - 20K.

I'm a UT-Austin PetE grad myself. If you look at total compensation for new grads (signing bonus + base) it is over 100K. Job placement is extremely high as well-- somewhere in the 98 - 100% range.

If someone isn't making over 100K total compensation as a PetE grad after 1-2 years, they are doing something wrong...

Old 02-06-2012, 07:41 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,707,783 times
I work in aerospace/defense engineering as a sort of liaison between R&D and the actual engineering team. I didn't get into engineering straight out of college, I pissed around in real estate for a few years and finally got a good offer from a firm in the Valley. I didn't start out in the six figures though and nobody I've met who started as an engineer started in the six figures either. I love my job though and while I'm not going to become exceedingly wealthy, I feel the salary allows for a fairly comfortable life if you aren't living above your means. Currently I make in the low $100's which is on-par for my level of experience and position.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:06 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,915,967 times
From what I have seen, Civil Engineers in Boston have been starting between 45-55k depending on industry (consulting<construction) and sector (government<private).

Civils always seem to be the butt of engineering jokes, but compared to fields outside of engineering, most of my classmates have jobs, while those in other fields don't. Or are working in something totally unrelated.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:47 AM

483 posts, read 1,560,341 times
If you're in Silicon Valley, and you're a TRUE software engineer, then you can easily break $100k salary within 3 years. It took me 3 years to break the $100k mark (adjusted for 2012 dollars) and my old company only paid average. Companies look Google pay higher than my old co.

Those making under $100k after a few years on the job aren't true software engineers. They're either test script engineers, SCM, database support, or a code monkey writing device drivers. I know people who did this type of work and although they had "software engineer" in their title, I never considered them a SW engineer. It's like comparing an ASE mechanic with a Jiffy Lube oil changer

Old 02-06-2012, 11:38 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,988,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J152cc2 View Post
Those are base salaries and don't take into account the signing bonuses. Typically signing bonuses are $15 - 20K.

I'm a UT-Austin PetE grad myself. If you look at total compensation for new grads (signing bonus + base) it is over 100K. Job placement is extremely high as well-- somewhere in the 98 - 100% range.

If someone isn't making over 100K total compensation as a PetE grad after 1-2 years, they are doing something wrong...
Signing bonuses shouldn't be taken into account, because they aren't recurring income.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:30 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,940,064 times
Jesus, 190k 3 yrs out of college..that's more than the top position at my employer gets paid, and it normally takes one an entire career to be competitive for it. Not bad, and grats to you for doing so well.

I'm making a decent middle class income where I'm at, and it's very secure and has a pension, but I have burned out on my career and it has become completely routine and without challenge. I feel like my brain is turning to jello; my job is 80% downtime. Also, options for moving up are extremely limited. Those that exist aren't worth it as they get worked very, very hard for only a slight increase in pay.

I'm considering going to back to school for engineering. But..I'm 35. I've already got a BS in flight ops. Would it be worth it, or is a young man's game? Would I be at disadvantage entering it older? I'm not necessarily chasing money, I'm ok with what I make, but I feel I can achieve so much more, crave challenge and want a 'thinking' job, and if it pays more than I make now that's icing on the cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities