Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:55 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Sound more and more that the US has become a banana republic.
So renounce your citizenship and move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 02:44 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
So renounce your citizenship and move.
Oh wow, an updated version of "love it or leave it." Hey Sparky, the 60's called and they want their slogan back.

Sorry, dudes such as you would want guys like me to leave so that you're not shown up for your idiocy.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Yes, let's go over this again. When YOU don't pay enough taxes to cover the expenses of YOUR state university, someone has to pay the balance. And YOU aren't the only one bitching about tuition increases. Most people don't want to pay their share. Schools have no choice but to look somewhere else to cover their expenses.

And no, most public universities DON'T have a mandate to serve only US citizens, quite obviously. If they had such a mandate then they wouldn't be permitted to admit even out-of-state students let alone foreign students. It's all there in black and white if you ever deign to read their charters instead of just assuming that your personal feelings must be the truth.

Not that it matters or is any of your business I'm 100% certain that my university is not receiving any funding from the National Institutes of Health nor the National Science Foundation since it does not grant degrees in science or medicine. It will probably come as a complete shock to you but 30% of universities in the US receive no funding from those organizations. It's all available for you to see: NIH Awards. And if you ever bother to care, the funding sources for every university are also publicly available. My university's funding comes entirely from university tuition and private endowments.

Just because you are unhappy with the situation doesn't mean that other people are the enemy. While I pay taxes for students to attend state universities, I do not benefit from those taxes.
You're lying. Nearly every university receives FED funding, whether it be through outright grants or in the form of FED guarantees of student loans. And you listed NIH but failed to mention that many other FED agencies which give out grants, such as Departments of Defense, Education, Health and Human Services,Energy, Science Foundation and on and on. Maybe you can enlighten us why those agencies are doing the grants and why unis are taking them. More importantly, you ignored, because you can't begin to proved a cogent response to the fact that the biggest FED support comes by way of outright loans or loan guarantees for college students, which is the biggest subsidy that universities receive. Maybe this might be news to you because you're busy attending your imaginary college, but student loans are over $1Trillion, much of that FED guaranteed. You have no idea what you're talking about.

And furthermore, you didn't bother to examine any part of IRS which has done studies as to who is paying their share of taxes and who isn't. Lets go over this one more time. The middle class share of the tax revenues has gone up while that of corporations has gone down, way down, which is the point of why we've had, since the 80's, a steady decline in corporate taxes. You have failed to mention the fact that several corporations which had an aggregate of over a trillion in gross revenues failed to pay any FED taxes, which means they didn't pay any state taxes as well. Don't give me your warmed over BS about me and the middle class not paying taxes. You're just plain wrong on that one.

And again you're not telling anything close to the truth of the university you supposedly attend, and how they're funded.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:10 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robabeatle View Post
higher paying and better prepared
Not necessarily -- I've dealt with many int'l students personally, and many do not have the critical thinking skills needed for success right off the bat. Moreover, many struggle with poor English communication skills.

That being said, if they can overcome those two obstacles, they manage to do okay. They do typically work harder and take education more seriously, so in the end, that's why they might be more desirable from a teacher's point of view.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:27 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
I have no idea where you grew up or where you went to school, but in CA, community colleges were free. When I graduated from HS, the public universities had their tuition pegged to summer employment which college students could attain in order pay the tuition. The whole point of public universities was an affordable college education for the taxpayers who paid for the institution in the first place. I have no idea what you're talking about or the logic supporting your thinking, such as it is. Lets go over this again, public institutions are supposed to serve the public, the tax paying public, if they don't, they fail their mandates. With the near five fold increase in tuition and the cut in direct federal funding for tuition due to its replacement with private loans, that original mandate that public education to serve the public has been ignored.

And I would suggest you spend more time reading the OP article. It isn't about having foreign students coming to US colleges, it's about foreign students being recruited to attend US colleges in favor of US citizens because they're more inclined to pay to attend public universities. You completely missed the point. Universities have now become so expensive for the average US citizen to attend, that they cannot, UNLESS they take out massive loans. Your thinking, when you claim that no one is forcing Americans to attend college, is analogous to saying no one is forced to use public services. That thinking again completely misses the point. These services are created for the benefit of all Americans, if they use them or not, not for the benefit of foreign students.

And I don't know where you get the idea that by attending a private university you don't get subsidized, nor does that institution. If you or your college receives ANY grants from the NIH/NSF or any FED or public agency, you're subsidized. If any of the students that attend receive any public money or have their loans guaranteed by the FED's they're subsidized. How in the world can you make such a claim, when some of the most prestigious private universities in this country, such as Columbia and Johns Hopkins, have been caught gaming the financial aide system's use of FED student loan guarantees.
It's a simple business decision, and it makes perfect sense from the administrator's point of view. You have international and domestic in-state students who screw around, but the international students pay cash, so the money's not wasted; it's in the bank. None of this bureaucratic crap of having to process loans and hire an accounting staff to chase deadbeat borrowers, or having to raise more taxes to fund students who d*ck around and have nothing to show themselves - or taxpayers - for their academic careers.

At the same time, I am sympathetic to the plight of those who have had to borrow tens of thousands of dollars because they feel it's the one sure way they can stay in the middle class. Maybe we could set up an arrangement whereby if were to raise the standards of passing and getting a degree so that we all understood that it was an actual accomplishment (unlike what it is now), then maybe we could give away education to all students who successfully qualify and complete degree programs. If they pass, either no loans or minimum loan repayments due; if they don't pass or get their degrees, then they default to the standard practice of loan repayment.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:49 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,238 times
It's all about the money.

I've noticed a lot of international students at my university and my uni is notorious for being a money hungry school.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
It's a simple business decision, and it makes perfect sense from the administrator's point of view. You have international and domestic in-state students who screw around, but the international students pay cash, so the money's not wasted; it's in the bank. None of this bureaucratic crap of having to process loans and hire an accounting staff to chase deadbeat borrowers, or having to raise more taxes to fund students who d*ck around and have nothing to show themselves - or taxpayers - for their academic careers.

At the same time, I am sympathetic to the plight of those who have had to borrow tens of thousands of dollars because they feel it's the one sure way they can stay in the middle class. Maybe we could set up an arrangement whereby if were to raise the standards of passing and getting a degree so that we all understood that it was an actual accomplishment (unlike what it is now), then maybe we could give away education to all students who successfully qualify and complete degree programs. If they pass, either no loans or minimum loan repayments due; if they don't pass or get their degrees, then they default to the standard practice of loan repayment.
Yup, but keep in mind soemthin else. Unis make quite a bit of money from ill prepared students. Many of those universities offer remedial courses and, because those students aren't ready to do college level work, they end up taking those classes numerous times, thereby jacking up the debt loads and the loans needed to enroll. One of the most flunked classes in college ins College Algebra, which is nothing more than a blown up hs algebra and analytic geometry course, which should have been taken care long before students show up for college. But as you said it's a business decision to allow those students on campus.....

Old 03-01-2012, 03:43 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post
This isn't unique to the US. I completed a grad program in Ireland and there was an email circulated that essentially said that the college was going to aggressively pursue non-EU students as a means to generate revenue for the college.
You raise a good point. This is a global trend. In the UK where I'm finishing my undergrad degree, it's common knowledge that the international contingent overpays to a degree. In Australia, where I am looking to do a post-grad, in certain major universities, the "international subsidy" effect saves an Australian citizen $1000 AU per year in tuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities