Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 01:28 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,531,467 times

Advertisements

International Students Pay Top Dollar at U.S. Colleges - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 01:39 PM

484 posts, read 970,523 times
higher paying and better prepared

Old 02-07-2012, 02:24 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
I see this a lot in STEM graduate programs. These students are willing to be slaves in the lab for close to a decade for a chance at a mediocre science job. For them it is a way out of poverty. For Americans, science has become a way into poverty and many American Citizen students are opting to pursue careers that offer jobs/pay more commensurate with the work and intelligence required.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:55 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,952,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I see this a lot in STEM graduate programs. These students are willing to be slaves in the lab for close to a decade for a chance at a mediocre science job. For them it is a way out of poverty. For Americans, science has become a way into poverty and many American Citizen students are opting to pursue careers that offer jobs/pay more commensurate with the work and intelligence required.
But aren't the foreign students well to do? We're not getting the the poverty kids from Malaysia, for example.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:16 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robabeatle View Post
higher paying and better prepared
Not true....they are prepared differently. They have great math and science backgrounds but have them try to think their way through a problem with little information to help. Wrote learning teaches facts but it doesn't teach kids how to think.

Just one example:

Audit: ND university awarded unearned degrees - US News and World Report

Old 02-12-2012, 08:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
When this hit the news here at our local University, it was all about the money. The state cut the budget severely, so they admitted to turning away local students with 4.0 GPA in favor of foreign students who are happy to pay twice as much to go there. Yes, they are rich foreign students, but whether or not they are better prepared for college academically makes no difference,
they just bring in more revenue.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:29 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
But aren't the foreign students well to do? We're not getting the the poverty kids from Malaysia, for example.
I think some of them get grants from their govt. Others are supported by their PI's or via being TA's.

The main thing is they are willing to work like slaves and be in the lab 80 hours a week for the chance at a crappy/unstable science job. It is better than what they can expect back home but for an American it is an unbelievable bad deal.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:10 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I think some of them get grants from their govt. Others are supported by their PI's or via being TA's.

The main thing is they are willing to work like slaves and be in the lab 80 hours a week for the chance at a crappy/unstable science job. It is better than what they can expect back home but for an American it is an unbelievable bad deal.
I don't know what they're doing as grad students, but the OP is addressing undergrads and foreign undergrads are not working as TAs.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:09 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,398,124 times
I find that it is kind of funny how the legislature has consistently cut funding and are now miffed that the school is changing its admissions policies to make up the shortfall.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:25 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,912,531 times
Truth is, when foreign students pay full tuition, that money helps cover the scholarships for US students who are smart or driven enough to earn them. Being the happy recipient of such scholarships, I can't say I'm all too sad that there are 2,500 foreign students at my university paying about $30k a year while I only pay $3k for a graduate degree from the top-ranked school in my field--the rest being covered by scholarships that are paid for, in part, by the tuition of foreign students.

So it's all about how you look at it. If you are smart and driven enough, you can be the beneficiary of higher foreign enrollment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities