Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 01:48 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,812,220 times

Advertisements

Yes, there is a school called National College and they have campuses in Indiana, where i live, as well as Kentucky and Virginia. I just wanted to know if anyone has gotten a degree from this school and been able to land a good job. Just the name of the school sounds iffy. I would think if you went to an interview and when you said you went to National College if you would often be passed over for jobs because you didnt go to a "name-brand" school. I went for a visit to inquire about their Information Systems Engineering program, which is a two yr program. l have never even heard of this school until recently but they say they have been around since the early 1900's. I am somewhat afraid that if I enter into this program and finish, that I will have found out I went to a "diploma mill". (The tour guide did show me where they are nationally accredited, though).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 09:53 PM

549 posts, read 1,929,563 times
Ask a recruiter from the school if they have any famous alumni?

Old 07-10-2009, 01:20 AM

enders, i will do that..and ask what type of companies alumni work for.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:02 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,297,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by introspective1 View Post
Yes, there is a school called National College and they have campuses in Indiana, where i live, as well as Kentucky and Virginia. I just wanted to know if anyone has gotten a degree from this school and been able to land a good job. Just the name of the school sounds iffy. I would think if you went to an interview and when you said you went to National College if you would often be passed over for jobs because you didnt go to a "name-brand" school. I went for a visit to inquire about their Information Systems Engineering program, which is a two yr program. l have never even heard of this school until recently but they say they have been around since the early 1900's. I am somewhat afraid that if I enter into this program and finish, that I will have found out I went to a "diploma mill". (The tour guide did show me where they are nationally accredited, though).
I was considering that college as well after I met two people in my district who are attending. One is getting her Special Ed. credential and the other is getting her masters in Psych. I looked at the site, and was turned off right away by the lay out that felt more business than University. Personally, I don't want to have to call and talk to a recruiter that will try to hard sell me on the school, I just want all the information to be presented up front!

Basically the information I have gotten on the school have been mixed. I finally found a website that has REAL reviews on the school, and the feedback is not too good. People complained of being overcharged. Of calling and being hung up on when asking about charges. There were many who said that requirements for graduation continually changed, and that they had to continue for another 6 months or so. At what university do requirements continually change? Even the Psych. student I talked to said I had to talk to "the right person" because most of the people there had no clue what classes you need to take. What?

In my opinion it is too risky to spend two years at a school only to find I have wasted my time and money. On top of that I am used to state schools, and I love the college experience that National does not offer. Plus, its more expensive for National.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:11 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,297,753 times
Here is the link to the bad reviews. There is good reviews as well, but keep in mind that they could be just PR for the school. That being said, I talked to the Psych. where I work and she said in the past National had a bad rep as a "diploma mill" but their rep. is changing because of the director they recently hired on at the site in Fresno. But that is only one director, at one school.

The link:
National University (StudentsReview) -

Old 07-10-2009, 09:17 PM

Liz, I am not sure if National College and National University are the same school...could be though. I couldnt find any info on National College, but I have a bad feeling about the school. I am also checking out the U. of Phx, which I have heard mixed reviews on as well.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:35 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,964 times
If you have to go that route, consider Franklin University instead. They have a program with Ivy Tech to get your regionally accredited degree for a buttload cheaper.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:42 PM

Thanks I will look into it!

Old 03-10-2013, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,721 times
Thumbs down National College is a joke

I worked at National College for a time a few years ago. Do not enroll here. It is a complete joke. They fire people all the time, or kick students out for no real reason. Your credits will not transfer anywhere else, so whatever you spend there is lost.

The management of National College does not in any way, shape, or form care about your education. What they care about is taking your money. If you flunk, don't get a job (likely), or have any issue, they will tell you it is your fault.

I can't stress enough that this is not a reputable college. I hate that I even have it on my resume, but I needed a job and they hired me. You are better off getting no education than going to this joke (except it isn't funny). I worked there so I know how the place is run. It should be illegal to run a place like they do!

Run the other way!

Old 03-10-2013, 08:55 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
Just an FYI. This thread was started 4 years ago. Hope he found a good College!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities