Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 06:51 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

What is a CNO?
Chief Nursing Officer. Has a few thousand people under her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 06:56 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Want a cookie? Oh wait, you don't like things that don't come from engineers.... want a shot of vitamins, minerals, protein and carbs. I'll even make it a nice 3-3-1 ratio just for you.
I love things that come from the medical community.... that is what I do. You should realize that some of us (former) engineers spent a lot of time in the medical arena. A cookie would be nice, but a biphasic defib schematic, or a patient monitor design, or an IVUS device would be more relevant.

(And actually, you are right. Just a personal opinion, but I have this tendency to discount those that create things that are not technically complex, but then again, many engineers do, so don't blame me). (and music can be extremely complex).

Old 03-31-2012, 05:22 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Can't tell you what they are, because that will give away who I am. I am the inventor (or on a team of inventors for really high-dollar investments), but since the funding was provided by a large company, the company has the legal rights to them (My relative was given $1 by Bell Labs for every patent that he created on their nickel, and they now own).
But really, who cares?
John Hammond was only second to Thomas Edison (who had an army of staff working for him) in terms of patents, yet I would wager most of the world doesn't even know who Hammond was (his lab/castle in Gloucester is beautiful). Makes no difference. I make no difference. Just doing things for mankind that some people may ultimately appreciate and benefit.
And yes, I can't make a clay pot, or throw paint on on a canvas and call it art, or draw anything other than technical diagrams and derive equations, but in the grand scheme of things, I hope I make a difference.
Kind of an evasive answer. I was not trying to "out" you, just asking for a numerical count of issued US patents. By the way, not all companies are/were as stingy toward inventors as Bell Labs (I have personally received significantly more than $100,000 in patent awards from several large corporations).

As for making a difference -- I hope you do, too. My guess is that you're well on your way. But it's not necessary to be so abrasive about it.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:32 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
From a different thread...

Math doesn't suck, you do.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

As the daughter and wife of veterans, I find this statement highly offensive.
As a relative of female veterans, I find your Orwell quote highly offensive.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
if u wana be an intellectual or artist do it on your own time and nickel. all want an advanced gen ed degree, most only need a trade. a trade, readily available thru jr college and military, low or no cost. a trade, dont leave home w/o it. my favorite RN but there are many others.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if u wana be an intellectual or artist do it on your own time and nickel. all want an advanced gen ed degree, most only need a trade. a trade, readily available thru jr college and military, low or no cost. a trade, dont leave home w/o it. my favorite RN but there are many others.
"Only an RN"?

Old 03-31-2012, 09:00 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
As a relative of female veterans, I find your Orwell quote highly offensive.
Back in Orwell's day, few women in the armed services were in a position to actually inflict violence on our enemies. No doubt if there had been he would have included them.

I still object to the implication that the members of our armed forces serving in the Middle East and elsewhere are murderers. All of them, men and women, have my deepest respect.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:16 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Lately I have been hearing this phrase on this board - "return for investment" when applied to a university education. It sickens me. It is indicative of a total misunderstanding of a beauty and power of a liberal arts education.

By this logic, perhaps we should just send our children to trade schools,or community colleges, ban the learning of literature, philosophy, theology and the arts!

Even the social sciences have come under attack here! When does it end? When we turn all of our kids into electrical engineers or majors in medical fields?

My cousin just returned from visiting several North Eastern liberal arts universities (highly competitive) and a few hard science oriented institutions. She was disturbed to hear this odious phrase bandied about at two schools.
It turned her off. It turned her daughter off. She will not be applying their.

They had never heard this foolish phrase before. Sadly, I had. It reflects an intrenched anti-intellectuality, and not only a disdain for learning, but a misunderstanding of it!

It is particularly disturbing when it is applied to "older" students with respect to "how long they will live in order to recoup their expenses"

Knowledge is priceless!

And with that, I have decided that I will formally seek to learn more and to accrue yet another degree. There will be no spread sheets involved and the ratio of expense vs. life span will not play a part in this.

Those of you forcing your children to study subjects because they are "hot" right now? I feel sorry for you. More so for your child.

There is nothing more expensive than the futile attempt to fit a square peg into a round hole.

My son will begin studies by following his bliss - a BFA in Art. I am excited to see where this passion leads him.How exciting to have a child with a passion other than money, especially in this day and age!

I happen to agree with the OP. My father wanted me to become a CPA, and I tried it for two semesters and it was a disaster. I lost one year of school following his dreams, not my own. I then gained a degree in Sociology and took many different courses and enjoyed my time in college. After my undergraduate degree, I started my own successful business and couldn't be happier plus I make a six figure income. Now as my children are entering college, I will be going back to school to gain a third degree and possibly start a new business or two. I have nothing against the STEM subjects, but not everyone is interested or cut out for it. In fact, one of my children is interested in Math and Science, while the other is interested in other subjects.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:50 PM

158 posts, read 239,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Back in Orwell's day, few women in the armed services were in a position to actually inflict violence on our enemies. No doubt if there had been he would have included them.

I still object to the implication that the members of our armed forces serving in the Middle East and elsewhere are murderers. All of them, men and women, have my deepest respect.
are u serious? u must be living in another reality..especially when one of our OWN men killed 16 people and i believe 9-11 were women or children. i dont care what the reason was, he had no right to do it and just think how u would feel if they were ur relatives..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities