Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 04:04 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,088,979 times

Advertisements

I agree with the others that you should take some time off. Maybe a LONG time. You are not focused and would just be wasting $ and time at this point.

You are VERY YOUNG and college will still be there.

As for a major that will 'lead to a job', almost all of them require at least some form of math, many of them at least Calculus.

Judging from your writing skills only, I'm inclined to believe that you could easily pass Remedial CC Math, you are just too lazy at this point. How hard of a class could it be?

For a course that is challenging FOR YOU, then 10-12 hours of study every week for a B grade. I'm venturing to guess that you didn't put nearly that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 06:20 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Real simple:
1) you probably need a break (I should have taken time off right after freshman year, which my parents were against); some people go back with much more direction and determination
2) you need aptitude tests (do not take just one, since they test different things - one might test how much you are like the people in the field, and others test which skills you like using, so take various tests and merge the results)

Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
I had the same thing happen to me. I wasted soooo much time in school in my first couple years. I decided to take a little time off and travel. Well what did I find out? I found out that I have a real passion for flying and airplanes... so what did I do? Well I went back to school and now I'm doing my dual major in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering. Life is good for me now, it all seemed so confusing in the past but now I'm passed all of the "weeder courses" and it is great. You just need to find something youre passionate about.

You're not going to be passionate about a specific major, all majors suck. Going to school sucks too, but what you need to do is find an end result that you want to work with. Everyone has something they're interested in, you do too.

I'm going to be late to graduate... but hey.. who's keeping track? In 5 years I'm not going to care if I had an extra year or two of working as a engineer... but I will be VERY happy I'm working as an Engineer and didn't do a standard Business Management degree.

Everyone takes their own routes in life, take yours... don't do the traditional route if you're not a traditional person. Screw everyone else and do what's best for you.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Real simple:
1) you probably need a break (I should have taken time off right after freshman year, which my parents were against); some people go back with much more direction and determination
2) you need aptitude tests (do not take just one, since they test different things - one might test how much you are like the people in the field, and others test which skills you like using, so take various tests and merge the results)

Yeah, I wanted a break and my parents were against it too. I should have really pressed it to them, because they didn't understand my situation. It would have helped me a LOT more than failing a bunch of classes miserablly lol. I finally took my break after it was a little late.. but hey it's better than nothing.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:09 PM

Another thing I'd like to stress, is that classes are MUCH harder when your mind isn't in it. Everything is possible, don't tell yourself you can't do something. If you put the effort in, you can pass it and do well. Nothing is ever out of your reach, so don't put limits on yourself. Figure out what you want to do and do what's best for you.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:43 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,584,890 times
It's a difficult situation - you are supposed to pick a career path without having really experience most careers. Unfortunately, very little in college has anything to do with an actual job you might get afterward, making it even harder to choose. Perhaps there is already something that you know you like as a job - something that almost doesn't even feel like work. Have you ever had any job that you liked, whether or not you considered it as a career? I remember how much I liked some of my summer jobs when I was in college, but for some reason never considered making a career out of any of them. Only much later do I find myself working in those fields and realize that I could have planned my career much better if only I had focused on that in the first place, instead of following some largely romantic dreams about what "real" jobs were going to be like.

I'm not sure whether it's better to just get a degree in something sort of general and go from there, or take time to figure out what job you want first. I think real-world experience is best. Maybe you could try to go out and get a little more experience in various places through low-level jobs and unpaid internships (you can do an unpaid internship just about anywhere, and it's a great way to get to know a job or organization). You could still take some college classes in the meantime.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Have you thought about doing something like this:
Volunteer Abroad, International Volunteer Travel, Work Programs - Cross-Cultural Solutions

If I were young and free (I'm married with children. lol) I would do that.

I'm a lot like you, actually: math is not my cup of tea, I love writing, but feel keeping writing as a side gig or hobby is a more realistic option. I've been in and out of college for years, literally. I'm always putting my husbands career and my children's needs first. We've relocated for my husbands job many, many times so I've never been able to finish school. It's been a tough road in that respect, very happy trails in other ways. But anyway...

Travel! And experience more life. And volunteer. And you will find your way. You are so young. Do it now before you are old and stuck-in-a-rut. Cross-Cultural Solutions is only one organization that offers opportunities to travel and learn and volunteer. There are others out there. I'm encouraging our kids to take advantage of experiences like this. I think they can really open a person up to many new possibilities.

And here's a link you might enjoy:
20 Creative Writing Careers | Creative Writing | Writing Forward

I keep those in mind for my side gigs... while I focus on what I want to do for my "real" job (aside from being a mother, of course. ).

Good luck!

Old 04-12-2012, 06:16 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Another thing I'd like to stress, is that classes are MUCH harder when your mind isn't in it. Everything is possible, don't tell yourself you can't do something. If you put the effort in, you can pass it and do well. Nothing is ever out of your reach, so don't put limits on yourself. Figure out what you want to do and do what's best for you.
Yeah, when "mind isn't in it," OR "doing it for the wrong reason or because it's expected of you." I've known a few people who have hung up plum law degrees, even after passing the bar, because it dawned on them they were doing that because they were on a treadmill created by others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities