Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 12:57 AM

668 posts, read 2,357,827 times

Advertisements

I'm a freshmen in college and after my first semester I know I want to transfer out next semester and just start over without transferring any credits. I applied to schools and they are asking for both high school and college transcripts, but the problem is is that I stopped going to classes towards the end of the semester cause I thought I was just going to start over again anyways without any credits and so it wouldn't matter. Another reason was because I live in Chicago and the school hands out these cars called U-Pass's that get u free public transportation all over the city to help u get to classes all over Chicago's downtown, and well somebody stole my U-Pass and I had no way to get to my classes anymore anyway (no money to take the subway, and no money to replace the U-Pass) and had no choice but to stay trapped in my dorm. Now that these schools are asking for my college transcript (my highschool transcript is very good btw), and my college transcript is non-existent, am I screwed for life? Will I need to go to Community College now? How screwed am I in the future and grand scheme of things? Honest answers please, no sugar coating. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 02:09 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,966 times
Well you can transfer after 1 academic year that isn't a problem ... but how did you manage to get 0 credits? As you pointed out that doesn't exactly look too good.

I would recommend staying put, at least attend school for another year, most transfer students transfer after 2nd year anyways, but stay to rack up at least some general education credits, which you shouldn't have a problem getting a good GPA in order to transfer out. It takes time to adjust to a new lifestyle, who knows maybe you'll like it after the 2nd year, if not you'd have a better shot in getting into a better school, good luck!

Old 12-04-2008, 05:41 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,517,079 times
No sugar coating? You should have replaced your u-pass and kept going to classes. CTA | Chicago Transit Authority - Questions and Answers (http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/question.html#c - broken link) Looks like the cost is a one-time fee of $35.

I'm very surprised that you thought that you could get a pass for your first semester of college. By just blowing it off you are not impressing any future college with your ability to handle college. Why would they think you would do any different at any other college? You are in a very bad spot now because I'm sure you are in academic probation and probably suspension at your current college. Your best plan is to either talk to your current college and see if they will let you continue the school year (doubtful), take the next semester to do astoundingly well at a local community college and try to explain away your actions personally with the academic adviser at your proposed transfer school. Good luck.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:40 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,866 times
You are going to need to go to a community college for a year or two. I am assuming that those classes you blew off, you actually got Fs in and you didn't drop them? Did you get put on any kind of academic probation?

If it is any consolation, I did very poorly my first two years of college and was put on academic probabion. I took a semester off (the length of the probabion), went to the local community college for a year and a half, then transferred in to a very good but different university and finished my degree with a 3.1 GPA.

You have your reasons for blowing off class but honestly, that wasn't very smart.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:09 AM

9,287 posts, read 14,897,165 times
Just start over. Don't tell any new college that you were previously enrolled.
You're very young- obviously- so chalk this big mistake up to a life learning experience and do things the right way the next time.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:25 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,235,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You're very young- obviously- so chalk this big mistake up to a life learning experience and do things the right way the next time.
The new college will find out about the old college eventually (usually through FAFSA) and you run the risk of being charged with academic dishonesty if you fail to mention any prior schooling.

The OP has a few options; 1) stay at the current school and ACE the Spring semester (thwarting off academic probation) and then continuing with the college for at least the sophomore year before transferring (2) Drop out now and enroll into a community college for at least one year (all the while maintaining top grades) then transferring (3) Drop out now, wait a year and then re-apply somewhere else.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:49 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,342,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
i wouldn't do that. don't lie to schools, they can find out the truth

Banx, when I started at Columbia, I didn't want to transfer over any of my credits (I left my first school w/ a GPA of around 1.5 or something and was just finishing up paying for the left over tuition b/ my finaid got pulled when I dropped out of school after the drop date so I got left w/ the bill). I told them the truth and they had no problems w/ it. granted, Columbia is open admission, so that may be why.

you could start over at a CC, get some very cheap gen eds in, then transfer out. yes, you will need to tell the turth about the first school and some schools may still demand to see that transcript, but if you do well in CC, then they may let that slide.

and I do agree w/ toobusytoday. losing a upass is a p*ss poor excuse not to go to class. I'm saure you could have dug up the amount somewhere. you're going to end up losing out on a lot of money b/c you couldn't scrounge up that $35. I would have rather eaten Ramen noodles everyday for a week than not just show up for class and lose all that money. plus, you say you live in a dorm yet couldn't get to class? I don't understand. you couldn't have walked? taken a shuttle? no offense, but my teachers would have laughed at me if I'd given them that excuse, and I'm sure a few would have told me to walk distance or even hitchhike

dropping out of school like that is the worse way to do it. trust me, I know from experience. not only will you have difficulties with transcripts and need to explain this situation away to any other school you may apply to, but you'll basically be paying 2x the money to take the same courses. you'll need to pay off your current tuition (and chances are, you may have lost finaid since most financial aid is pulled if you stop going to class) and need to pay to take those classes again next time (though it'll be cheaper to either take them at a CC or take the CLEP tests and get credits that way)

before stepping foot into any other school, you'll need to make a budget plan to make sure this doesn't happen again. for example, I keep a Chicago card loaded w/ money in case I lose my upass (plus, I need it for the end of the semester when the upass expires next week). the upass is an added incentive Chicago colleges give you, but DO NOT rely on it!! if a upass is the only way you can afford to get to class, you need to rethink your budget. a upass doesn't cover all 365 days a year, so you'll need to pay for public transportation eventually. and you need to read up on your school's policies about transferring credits and dropping classes so you do it properly. college is WAY too expensive to just blow it off for questionable reasons

Last edited by eevee; 12-04-2008 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 12-04-2008, 01:26 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,341,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
...................Honest answers please, no sugar coating. Thanks
#1. Great excuses - but not relevent.
#2. You still have to submit a transcript of your HS and "college" to a community college, and unless they are an 'open-door' school, you might have difficulty being admitted, but maybe not.
#3. Your "GPA" won't transfer nor will your "coursework" - you'll simply have a college transcript with a slew of "F"s on it on file at the new institution.
#4. You start all over at a community college and do really well. That means get up, go to class, do your assignments in a timely manner, go to class, study, pass your tests, go to class.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:55 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,866 times
Keep in mind, and someone correct me if I am wrong, but if you are on academic probation, most schools will not accept the coursework you have done while on academic probabtion. So if you are on AP, then you need to take that time off, work full time or more, save up and go back as soon as possible.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:08 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,341,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
Keep in mind, and someone correct me if I am wrong, but if you are on academic probation, most schools will not accept the coursework you have done while on academic probabtion. So if you are on AP, then you need to take that time off, work full time or more, save up and go back as soon as possible.
Barring individual schools' exceptions, as long as the course grade is a "C" or better, it will transfer as credit, but "C" is the absolute minimum. Academic probation means that you are close to failing out but you have a last chance to bring up your GPA before we send you home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities