Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 07:54 PM

95 posts, read 283,497 times

Advertisements

I am considering to attend universities up north including one in Georgia. I prefer universities in attractive, medium-sized to large cities with non-humid, moderate climate.
Here are my top choices for universities:

Ohio State University (Columbus, OH)
University of Georgia (Athens, GA) - Atlanta is only an hour away.
University of Maryland-College Park: Being near Washington, D.C. is a huge plus!
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
University of Pittsburgh
University of Wisconsin-Madison

I have thought about the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill and North Carolina State University at Raleigh but I am not sure if I would like it there and their climate.

I appreciate any suggestions/complaints/or feedbacks you may have about each university and its location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 08:12 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,037,997 times
Well, I don't think of Georgia as being Northern

Minnesota, Pittsburgh and Wisconsin don't have *moderate* climates. They get typical northern winters with snow and cold temps.

I do think that UW Madison and University of Minnesota are great schools though. Not sure about the others.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:53 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,180,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleanianLA1 View Post
I am considering to attend universities up north including one in Georgia. I prefer universities in attractive, medium-sized to large cities with non-humid, moderate climate.

University of Maryland-College Park: Being near Washington, D.C. is a huge plus!
University of Pittsburgh

I have thought about the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill and North Carolina State University at Raleigh but I am not sure if I would like it there and their climate.

I appreciate any suggestions/complaints/or feedbacks you may have about each university and its location.
OK, my input about the colleges and places I know about. Your climate requirements negate all these choices. The U of MD is probably the most humid; summers there are awful. Soldiers stationed in DC used to get "combat pay" b/c of the weather. Mary Lincoln was right; it's a swamp and a humid one at that.

Of the rest, U of GA and Ohio State would probably give you the most reasonable winters. Minnesota and Wisconsin have rugged winters, not for the faint of heart. This is especially true of MN. I grew up in Pittsburgh and am a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh. Climate is sucky. Winters are cold (but not like MN and WI) and damp. Rain and snow. Fall is beautiful, and spring can be nice. Summers are very humid, cloudy (but less than the rest of the year), uncomfortable. The city of Pittsburgh has lots to do and the university is top notch. What is your intended major?

Old 04-27-2012, 09:17 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,037,454 times
First of all, Athens is over an hour and a half away from Atlanta, and as a college student you will almost never see Atlanta. If you are living an hour and a half away from Atlanta you would be hard pressed to go there even one time per semester. If you choose University of Georgia you are going to be living in a college town and will have a college town experience. Do not consider Atlanta in your decision with it, because after you get there you'll never see it. That being said, living in a college town is not always a bad thing and can be a lot of fun. Another thing, Minneapolis has one of the harshest winters in the United States

If you want my opinion though, the University of North Carolina is a much stronger university than any of the other colleges on your list. I would start thinking like an adult and think about your actual student career and future opportunities instead of weather.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:20 PM

14,724 posts, read 33,477,239 times
What do you plan to major in? Then let's talk.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:26 PM

10,372 posts, read 10,762,714 times
My suggestion to not to focus on the town or the university, but instead focus on the major. Evaluate the department, the classes, the professors, the reputation, etc. Compare the programs across the various schools.

FWIW, I spent 13 months commuting weekly between Pittsburgh and Minneapolis. The weather was usually nicer in Minneapolis even if it was colder. There were days that did not get above zero but were sunny and comfortable. They do get spells where it is dangerous to go outside. I remember -20 and a windchill of -60.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:52 PM

All of the universities I listed are top notch, according to the U.S. News & World Report. That's why I am not concerned about the academic reputation about each regardless of what my major will be.

I am thinking about majoring in either Business or Pre-Law before going to Law School later.

Weather and location is kinda important to me because I never like living in Louisiana all of my life due to hot, humid weather and very warm winters. Also, I dislike rural areas; however, Chapel Hill and Athens are the exemptions because they are not too far from Raleigh and Atlanta.

I have family living in Indianapolis that I visit frequently. There in IN few years ago, I discovered that I love cold winters with less humid, moderate summers unlike Louisiana. I could wear a short in mid 20's and never get sick. It's just humidity and temperatures occassionally above 95 degrees that I hate the most!

I hope this helps to narrow down my choices.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
First of all, Athens is over an hour and a half away from Atlanta, and as a college student you will almost never see Atlanta. If you are living an hour and a half away from Atlanta you would be hard pressed to go there even one time per semester. If you choose University of Georgia you are going to be living in a college town and will have a college town experience. Do not consider Atlanta in your decision with it, because after you get there you'll never see it. That being said, living in a college town is not always a bad thing and can be a lot of fun. Another thing, Minneapolis has one of the harshest winters in the United States

If you want my opinion though, the University of North Carolina is a much stronger university than any of the other colleges on your list. I would start thinking like an adult and think about your actual student career and future opportunities instead of weather.
Is education at the University of Georgia really that hard where students couldn't find the time to go to Atlanta often? Does Athens feel very rural?

Do you think I will like the Research Triangle (Chapel Hill, Durham, & Raleigh, NC) better than Athens?

Old 04-28-2012, 08:52 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,879,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleanianLA1 View Post

University of Pittsburgh

You don't think you'd like the climate in NC but you're considering schools in the Pennsylvania, Maryland, Ohio, and Wisconsin? What sort of climate do you like?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
You don't think you'd like the climate in NC but you're considering schools in the Pennsylvania, Maryland, Ohio, and Wisconsin? What sort of climate do you like?
I prefer colder winters with less humid, moderate summers. Snow doesn't bother me. It's just humid summers exceeding 95 degrees occassionally that I hate the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities