Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 11:22 AM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times

Advertisements

An article written by the former chancellor of Southern Illinois University:

A college degree with little debt - Chicago Tribune

The former chancellor discusses college life, college debt, and discusses the hard realities that many high school graduates will face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 12:07 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
An article written by the former chancellor of Southern Illinois University:

A college degree with little debt - Chicago Tribune

The former chancellor discusses college life, college debt, and discusses the hard realities that many high school graduates will face.
He makes a lot of sense, but as always in articles of this type he says a lot of black-and-white statements that may not work in every situation.

For example, he says that the student should not borrow at all for the first two years, and should go to community college instead. That may work for most people. Maybe even the vast majority of people.

However, in my own case I went to Caltech for college. I did have to take out some small amount of student loans to be able to attend -- nothing outrageous. I also got plenty of straight out grant money; Caltech is very generous.

In return I got a fantastic education and a leg up in my career. I've been hired based largely on where I went to school. I paid back all my student loans within a few years of starting work. It was easy because I was making lots of money.

It would have been a mistake for me to not go to Caltech just because of the loans.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:38 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
He makes a lot of sense, but as always in articles of this type he says a lot of black-and-white statements that may not work in every situation.

For example, he says that the student should not borrow at all for the first two years, and should go to community college instead. That may work for most people. Maybe even the vast majority of people.

However, in my own case I went to Caltech for college. I did have to take out some small amount of student loans to be able to attend -- nothing outrageous. I also got plenty of straight out grant money; Caltech is very generous.

In return I got a fantastic education and a leg up in my career. I've been hired based largely on where I went to school. I paid back all my student loans within a few years of starting work. It was easy because I was making lots of money.

It would have been a mistake for me to not go to Caltech just because of the loans.
agreed. his message applies to the average student rather than the above average student. the latter should have plenty of other options like in your situation or like getting good scholarships. unfortunately way too many people vastly overestimate their competence and assume they will be ballin out after college.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:09 PM

3,925 posts, read 6,843,555 times
I think it really shines light on a less thought about topic regarding Universities. Most people assume that when you go away to college to become a full time student, and live on campus that you WILL graduate. In all honesty it really didn't cross my mind the amount of work required to graduate from a four year university. Ever so slowly I saw more and more of my peers drop out, or fail out of school. I was the lucky one to realize after my first college exam that I will have to work to receive my diploma. I didn't study for my first test, but took notes at the lecture and listened closely to what my teacher had to say. In high school this was more than enough to get my 4.3 GPA (on a 5.0 scale). Once my first exam came, I got a "D" on it. I was shocked. That was my first D ever...

Old 05-21-2012, 02:37 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,248,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post

I am all for the community college route, I went, as long as you want to remain in-state. While it is possible to attend a CC in one state then transfer into a four-year in another, you run the risk of losing credits in the process and/or enrolling into a program that has different requirements, potentially tacking on another year. A college in-state (public or private) would be more in-tune to the quality of education that CC offers. And tuition at a CC as a non-resident student can run upwards of $350 a credit (as it did with me).

I do agree (in the article) that students should spend more time working, if possible, and less time working on their wardrobe.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:03 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,357,366 times
WOW, that is a great article. I am hoping/pushing our children to do exactly what he is saying. Thanks for sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities