Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 09:09 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,499,791 times

Advertisements

It's more a matter of having class than education. You can be educated, but with no class. You can not be highly educated, but have tons of class.

Someone with class will never look down on someone, never make fun of someone. They will treat everyone they meet with respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 09:09 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,492,659 times
Sadly, I must admit I do look down on some people.

But not because they are or are not college educated.

I look down on lazy people of all kinds. All lazy people. Regardless of education level. Plenty of lazy college grads and plenty of hard-working people who never went.

But overall, I think most of the population fits under my definition of lazy.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:19 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,047,794 times
I don't care. These days a lot of people who went straight to work and didn't get a college education are more successful than people I know who went to college and got a B.A in basket weaving (or sociology).

Old 06-01-2012, 09:22 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,108,470 times
Certainly many people look down upon others who don't have college degrees because they themselves may be insecure and the college degree is the only thing that gives them a feeling of worth. Myself, I look down on lazy people and most of those have no degree and rarely have tech/vocational training. I respect people who are productive, intelligent, curious, and kind. These individuals are a credit to themselves and society. My grandfather had only 2 years of schooling from the village priest in his remote Carpathian village. Yet, he was the most intelligent, hardworking individual I know.

Don't let those stupid highly educated people get you down. I was married to a guy with a PhD and he would make fun of me saying that I ONLY had a master's degree and my parents were nothing but blue collar because they worked in a factory. It takes all kinds.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:28 AM

652 posts, read 1,054,645 times
I think some people do, but I don't think they are always up front about it.

I live in a university community. Many parents like to send their kids to school where they'd like to think their kids will be surrounded by kids from families that are also highly educated.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:29 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,511,720 times
The vast majority of college educated people DO NOT look down on those that are less educated.. the few that do give the highly educated a less than good rep for this practice.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:30 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,839,229 times
I don't think people know (or ask) about your level of education unless you're being interviewed for a job.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:41 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,492,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I don't think people know (or ask) about your level of education unless you're being interviewed for a job.
This is an excellent point.
I don't think I have ever really asked anyone where they went to school unless we were talking about football or something.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:55 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,393,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
That's been my experience too. I have no idea if most of the people I socialize with outside of work went to college or not; nor do I care.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:58 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,307,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
I think some people do, but I don't think they are always up front about it.

I live in a university community. Many parents like to send their kids to school where they'd like to think their kids will be surrounded by kids from families that are also highly educated.
It is dangerous to pass judgements based on generalizations, as every person deserves to be judged on their own merits, not statistics. That being said, the educational level of the student's parents is a much better indicator of academic success in college than their parents' wealth.

While there is a strong correlation between wealth and education, the two don't necessarily go hand in hand. To many people, particularly those with academic families, skills and knowledge are far more important than the money that can be gained utilizing those skills and knowledge. To others, education is just a tool for making money and therefore being the world's leading expert on medieval cathedral architecture is equivalent to being able to refill vending machines because both skillsets lead to a similar paycheck.

When people with such dissimilar values interact, it is inevitable that there is some friction due to such widely differing goals and priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities