Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 11:10 AM

810 posts, read 1,807,707 times

Advertisements

Not at all. In fact, I believe that the majority of those who are a college-educated respect people who work in positions that don't necessarily require college degrees. The people who do are insecure in their own abilities and feel the need to reinforce themselves by bringing others down. That has more to do with the person himself, not the college degree.

However, there are people out there who seem to resent those who do have a college degree, and that's not good. I see this a lot on forums or news articles pertaining to education or employment. It frustrates me and actually makes me feel sorry for people who mock graduates who are struggling to get jobs coming out of college. I also hate it when people mock certain fields of study that students choose, or they assume that people choose certain programs because they just want to party for 4 years. It's hypocritical to ask graduates for respect and yet mock their fields of study.

Bottom line is that both college graduates and those who didn't need to respect each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 11:15 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Some people do that, and those are the type of people I will always distance myself from and I'll be graduating with an engineering degree.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:17 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
I view colleges as an avenue for getting a piece of paper that certain employers want as a prerequisite, not any certification of intelligence.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:17 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Not sure if this belongs here, but this pertains to the social-life benefits of having a college-education.

By this, I mean those of us that are just high-school graduates and work in capacities that either didn't require a degree, or just got by with some trade-tech from a community college.
In the blue-collar fields, it's always possible to make just as much of a living as someone working some sort of job requiring an advanced degree of some sort.
However, when for whatever reason a blue-collar worker attempts to step beyond their social circle for a little more enlightenment, people in the other circle get alarmed.

Only reason I'm bringing something like this up is due to the various threads regarding STEM-related degrees and my current dissatisfaction with the employment field I've been involved with for the past, couple of years.
After getting done with the work day, it's nice to have a conversation about something other than NASCAR, or some recent mod some yokel put on their exhaust system.
However, I feel if I wander over to the other side without the "right equipment", I'll be asked to leave the table.
Speaking as someone who is college-educated, no, I do not look down on people who don't have a degree.

I DO look down on people who are lazy and expect everything to be handed to them. Some people like that have a degree, others don't.

There are a lot of reasons why someone doesn't go to college, most of which I won't judge that person for.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:19 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Not sure if this belongs here, but this pertains to the social-life benefits of having a college-education.

By this, I mean those of us that are just high-school graduates and work in capacities that either didn't require a degree, or just got by with some trade-tech from a community college.
In the blue-collar fields, it's always possible to make just as much of a living as someone working some sort of job requiring an advanced degree of some sort.
However, when for whatever reason a blue-collar worker attempts to step beyond their social circle for a little more enlightenment, people in the other circle get alarmed.

Only reason I'm bringing something like this up is due to the various threads regarding STEM-related degrees and my current dissatisfaction with the employment field I've been involved with for the past, couple of years.
After getting done with the work day, it's nice to have a conversation about something other than NASCAR, or some recent mod some yokel put on their exhaust system.
However, I feel if I wander over to the other side without the "right equipment", I'll be asked to leave the table.
There are jerks out there of every type, educated or otherwise.

So, avoid them.

Otherwise, it's quite possible that you feel a little uncomfortable due to your own feelings and not that you wouldn't be accepted.

I hang out with a group of guys that likes to do a lot of historical gaming etc. We have everything from teachers, policemen, pizza delivery guys, lawyers, college professors....it's all good.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:21 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
That's been my experience too. I have no idea if most of the people I socialize with outside of work went to college or not; nor do I care.
really? i have tried to avoid mentioning it in a lot of social situations because people usually get an attitude when i do, but it usually ends up coming up.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:23 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,352 times
I look down on alot of people but never based on educational level, socioeconomic status, upbringing or any other such shallow criteria. With that said, I do occasionally get a little miffed by those high school graduates who, upon finding out that I have a degree immediately jump on the defensive, not against me personally but in a general sense and start rambling on about things like "such and such is so educated but they ain't got no common sense!", or "school of hard knocks", or "street smarts" or some other insipid drivel. In such cases I rarely participate in the conversation, instead I would much rather just brush it off and carry on.

Last edited by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥; 06-01-2012 at 02:33 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 04:59 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
I will be graduating with my Bachelors degree in two semesters. Being completely honest with myself, I DO NOT look down uponHS grads BUT I DO look down upon High School dropouts.

I realize that college isn't for everybody and depending on what your career goals are, you could move up throughout a company with just a HS Diploma and have a decent career. On the other hand, if you're a HS Dropout then the odds are extremely stacked up against you. You BETTER have some good people skills or some damn good connections if you even want to a fighting chance at landing a remotely decent job because even the most entry-level places like Walmart require a HS Diploma. I'm sure you could dig up some successful HS dropouts but they are extremely rare. A HS Diploma is an excellent investment since it's free and is a basic requirement for even the most basic jobs.

I'm not saying HS Dropouts are bad people but they are not as responsible since they made such a poor decision. If I had owned a company then I would probably not hire one since it shows that they are less likely to complete programs/goals and they are less likely to make good decisions.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:11 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
There are plenty of college educated people who look down upon those without a college education,...most of them are career college students and employees (like professors). I work in a hospital boiler room. Most doctors and nurses I work with don't show such behavior. Those that do are easily shown they aren't as smart as they believe. Even our housekeeping department is an example of not judging others. We have several college graduates and students within our housekeeping dept. some of them use housekeeping as a foot in the door to move up to better positions once they've gotten their degree in nursing, computer, or electronics (useful for repairing medical devices).

Old 06-01-2012, 05:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I care weather or not people possess any intellectual curiosity and are interested in learning from the world around them...college experience doesn't necessarily correlate with that one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities