Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 04:35 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,969,178 times

Advertisements

I don't look down on people without degrees. Look at people like the Jay Z's and Jennifer Lopez etc. They can barely count from 1 to 10 yet they are living a better life than your average brain surgeon. I've seen this too often in real life, education does NOT necessarily equal a great life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 04:43 PM

872 posts, read 1,267,319 times
Not one bit. I'm the first in my family to go to and graduate from university, and my dad, for one, is smarter than 95% of people I've ever met.

Anyone who judges someone for their education or lack thereof has another thing coming to them. Your degree is not a high horse to sit on.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:14 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,543,726 times
Deleted.

Last edited by west seattle gal; 08-18-2013 at 06:28 PM..

Old 08-18-2013, 06:43 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,041,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
Not one bit. I'm the first in my family to go to and graduate from university, and my dad, for one, is smarter than 95% of people I've ever met.

Anyone who judges someone for their education or lack thereof has another thing coming to them. Your degree is not a high horse to sit on.
College degrees are so common these days. Many jobs that did not require one, now do. Many more students are going on to college and there is probably a college for everyone, no matter how poorly you did in high school.

With that scenario, these days a college education means very little.

I think to those who have it and are settled into their professions, it no longer means a lot - it is a means to an end and they've accomplished one of their goals. I think it means a lot more to those who don't have it.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:45 PM

530 posts, read 1,367,336 times
To be brutally honest.

Yes I do.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:42 PM

332 posts, read 872,098 times
So what you are saying is that people who are too lazy to turn on their brains lack common sense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
"Look down on" them? No. Frequently I am working for them. Many of the construction businesses that I advise are run by very bright self-educated people who did nto go to college. I respect them a great deal.

What I do not respect is people who are too lazy to turn on their brains. Most of the idiot I encounter are pefectly capable of being smart, just too lazy. I believe that there is really very little difference in the intelligence capabilities of most people. It is just whether or not there is a willinglness to work their brains.

For some people, college is neceessary to get them to work their brains. For others it is not necessary. For others again it will nto do them any good, they are only going to do the minimum necessary to get through and then turn off their brains.

Maybe a few peole are just plain stupid, but most "stupid" people are really just lazy.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:56 PM

332 posts, read 872,098 times
Well this is true most celebs sleep their way to the top though to land that lucky break. When the average guy regardless of degree, white collar or blue collar, can become a millionaire using his own ideas and wit is when I am most impressed and believe they deserve great respect as long as they are being ethical.

I have met many a condescending people with advanced degrees but I don't see a reason to it when many others i met who aren't even educated make more than they do. The only difference is that the educated people may know how to manage their money better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I don't look down on people without degrees. Look at people like the Jay Z's and Jennifer Lopez etc. They can barely count from 1 to 10 yet they are living a better life than your average brain surgeon. I've seen this too often in real life, education does NOT necessarily equal a great life.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:38 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,636,340 times
Um.
The definition of "a great life" or respectability isn't based on your income. Or fame.

I have like zero interest and often very little respect for various members of the entertainment industry. Look at the way some of them wind up.

The ones who throw away their lives and fortune to crime or drugs or whatever. Few manage to stay married for more than three seconds and their kids are more like accessories.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:54 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,465,772 times
From my experience, this happens more often than not, and it's unfortunate. Even among the college-educated, those who went to to certain 'elite' schools look down on those who didn't attend such schools. Such is life.

I notice the content of your character not the school you attended. Some of the most ignorant and backwards people I have ever known were Engineering manager PhDs at a high tech firm in silicon valley (Sunnyvale to be exact). I know people who didn't graduate from high school who were much more worthy of my respect.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:13 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,951,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Time to be serious: I don't look down on people without a degree. I think if a person is dumb and they know it, then don't interrupt. Of course, this fits formally educated people too. I am in the latter category and if I know little or nothing on a subject, I don't interrupt. I detest people guessing their information. And, I might add... just because a person doesn't have a degree does not mean they are dumb.
Not being knowledgeable about something and/or getting into a conversation you know little about =/= being "dumb".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities