Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 11:42 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times

Advertisements

I don't look down on people with no college education. I have dated women with less than a bachelors degree, and see no reason why I wouldn't date someone with only HS.

The thing I see is that people without degrees think often that people with degrees should be given no extra credit. It's as if they think that they work hard and people who are in school just read a few books a week while sitting at Starbucks.

Uh ... we have had jobs too, and we work hard too. Often, advanced degrees are obtained part time while working. I have seen people making 15/hr bust their a@@ while going to school on nights and weekends and trying to raise kids too in an effort to better themselves. You're better than them because you lucked out and happened upon a real good job with just a HS degree?

So, why shouldn't we get extra credit? We could have, just like you, just kept showing up to work at 8 am and leave when the work is done until we croak. Instead, we decided to take things a bit further and get more education in an attempt to better ourselves. Taken classes after work, do homework on weekends, go back and obtain another degree instead of just 'looking for another job'. Believe me, the latter is the easy path.

Last edited by jobaba; 08-17-2013 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 12:31 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,980 times
To answer the question directly, no not really. Sure you'll have those people from both ends of the spectrum putting down each other, but generally people don't judge you based on your education level as long as your a kind, hard-working person.

Now what I find is that people tend to marry those of similar education level..not necessarily, but often. These days you rarely ever see someone with a Master's Degree or above marry someone with only a high school diploma. This is especially true of physicians. I notice more than ever now that a doctor will marry another doctor or someone in the healthcare field that has a similar education level (pharmacist, physical therapist, optometrist, PhD medical researcher, etc.) But regardless of career or profession, I notice more married couples having a similar education level and/or background.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:21 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Not sure if this belongs here, but this pertains to the social-life benefits of having a college-education.

By this, I mean those of us that are just high-school graduates and work in capacities that either didn't require a degree, or just got by with some trade-tech from a community college.
In the blue-collar fields, it's always possible to make just as much of a living as someone working some sort of job requiring an advanced degree of some sort.
However, when for whatever reason a blue-collar worker attempts to step beyond their social circle for a little more enlightenment, people in the other circle get alarmed.

Only reason I'm bringing something like this up is due to the various threads regarding STEM-related degrees and my current dissatisfaction with the employment field I've been involved with for the past, couple of years.
After getting done with the work day, it's nice to have a conversation about something other than NASCAR, or some recent mod some yokel put on their exhaust system.
However, I feel if I wander over to the other side without the "right equipment", I'll be asked to leave the table.
I don't care, but it's going to be up to the person.

However, it's understandable that college educated people will be more likely to hang out with other college educated people, simply because their social circle is going to be comprised mostly of people they went to school with or work with.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:33 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
There is no way, no how that any ONE person knows what ALL college educated people do or think.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:13 PM

12 posts, read 64,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
There is no way, no how that any ONE person knows what ALL college educated people do or think.
I totally agree and I also will add I'd that I see a lot of post where people claim to know people who are either more successful or educated without a degree. Now I'm not saying you guys are lying but, While I may not know A LOT of college grads, like some of you do, but the few that I do know regardless of race, gender, economic status,or geographical location tend to be more well rounded and successful then those without degrees. Also this seems to be the case for my extended friends as well which includes the people I have met through my friends. As far as success and education goes general speaking, just because some non degree holders are educated and successful( depending upon your definition) dosent make it the rule, but an outlier if you ask me it should rightful be acknowledged as such.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:35 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,376 times
i've known folks who because of how their life turned out, couldn't go to college. that doesn't mean they didn't teach themselves or gained knowledge because they couldn't go to college. in fact, i think these folks are better rounded in overall knowledge than some college grads. why? because they gained knowledge of various subjects vs focusing on one.

trust me, college doesn't dictate how smart you are. i've also known a lot of smart stupid people if you know what i mean.

actually i semi take that back. i do look down on some folks, mainly when looking to date. a woman who doesnt have a degree, works part-time at a salon demanding a guy who makes 6 figures..well yeah, i'm looking down at her. just because you chose not to go down a higher education means you get to be picky about what income a guy makes. In this sense, yes i judge because i want someone who has motivation in doing what they want and not to sit around dreaming about their prince with 6 figure salary to treat them like a queen.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:00 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,298 times
I have a few degrees and do not look down upon those without a degree AT ALL. Neither of my parents attended college, and they are some of the smartest people I have ever known -- well-read deep thinkers, on top of world politics and other subjects, avid theater goers, world travelers, etc... Everyone has a brain, humans are naturally intelligent unless mentally disabled, and 4-12 years of college does not make a person more intelligent for a lifetime. It does open up doors for a job, though. Especially for someone like me who has no inherent talents or the ability to make a good salary without a college degree.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:09 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
College is formal education.

If anything I look down on those with college degrees. I have 2 myself so I'm really low on the totem pole.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:32 AM

12 posts, read 64,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
College is formal education.

If anything I look down on those with college degrees. I have 2 myself so I'm really low on the totem pole.

I find self- selected threads, such as this one so misleading and uninfotmative. Because the individuals that find this subject appealing will only reply. I have seen more people basing college grads on here than. Non degree holders, and since perception is reality, some of you seem a little insecure. As far as whether if degrees are better then H.S diplomas, well here is a pinch of reality for you..Do the jobs of the future require a college degree?

Old 08-18-2013, 08:53 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Yes

Do college educated persons look down on those that are less-educated?
Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities