Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 03:47 PM

9 posts, read 10,524 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am new to the CD forum and having found this, it seemed like a good place to ask for advice as I am in quite the pickle. I have been going to school off and on for several years, chipping away at what classes i needed to get them out of the way. My interests are foreign languages, history, english and political science so I decided to major in poly sci. Well history is my minor and we have to take 4 classes in a foreign language. My actual true loves are spanish and history, I am closer to finishing a degree with those two than poly sci. However, I feel like political science would get you a job faster than a history or spanish major.

To get some help on this, I actually went to the dept chair in my dept(who was busy since she had a meeting to go to) and she entertained me for a bit with my questions. When she asked me what my plans were, I told her to just graduate with a decent major..because see..i am homeless(i didnt tell her that though) ..and when I told her that i felt political science was just a tad more marketable than history she said, "yes it is, thats the understatement of the century" I really did not like that answer. It came off very arrogant. They also offer classes at night for students(think:independent study) but she told me, "only if they have a 3.5 gpa and develop a repoire with the professor" I did not like that answer either since I have a 3.2 and I am homeless. It will take me a little bit longer to graduate if i keep up my major, my minor is already done and so are the foreign language. I do not want to change majors to graduate quickly "just to get out" especially if it means that I can try to stick it out and I have a better chance of getting a job in the end.

Was she telling the truth? Is poly sci really a better major vs lets say spanish and history? or do they all lead to the same place in terms of employment I have been tempted to switch majors but I have been scared to as I would like to know that I will have more options than to just teach. The clock is ticking and I cannot in this situation for the rest of my life. Thanks for any and all input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 03:52 PM

22,615 posts, read 47,734,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rageinacage99 View Post
When she asked me what my plans were, I told her to just graduate with a decent major..because see..i am homeless(i didnt tell her that though) ..and when I told her that i felt political science was just a tad more marketable than history she said, "yes it is, thats the understatement of the century" I really did not like that answer.
Do you NOT have a goal beyond "graduating with a decent major"?

What do you see yourself doing in five years?
Major in what will help you reach that goal.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:57 AM

What I could see myself doing in 5 years is either teaching or hopefully non profit work. I would really like that. I also sometimes think about working the public sector. I heard government jobs are good as well. That is where i could see myself in 5 years and hopefully in a much larger city with better options . Given that though, it seems that at this point, any of the above majors would work right?

Old 06-11-2012, 10:22 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,682,678 times
Quote:
Hi, I am new to the CD forum and having found this, it seemed like a good place to ask for advice as I am in quite the pickle. I have been going to school off and on for several years, chipping away at what classes i needed to get them out of the way. My interests are foreign languages, history, english and political science so I decided to major in poly sci. Well history is my minor and we have to take 4 classes in a foreign language. My actual true loves are spanish and history, I am closer to finishing a degree with those two than poly sci. However, I feel like political science would get you a job faster than a history or spanish major.

To get some help on this, I actually went to the dept chair in my dept(who was busy since she had a meeting to go to) and she entertained me for a bit with my questions. When she asked me what my plans were, I told her to just graduate with a decent major..because see..i am homeless(i didnt tell her that though) ..and when I told her that i felt political science was just a tad more marketable than history she said, "yes it is, thats the understatement of the century" I really did not like that answer. It came off very arrogant. They also offer classes at night for students(think:independent study) but she told me, "only if they have a 3.5 gpa and develop a repoire with the professor" I did not like that answer either since I have a 3.2 and I am homeless. It will take me a little bit longer to graduate if i keep up my major, my minor is already done and so are the foreign language. I do not want to change majors to graduate quickly "just to get out" especially if it means that I can try to stick it out and I have a better chance of getting a job in the end.

Was she telling the truth? Is poly sci really a better major vs lets say spanish and history? or do they all lead to the same place in terms of employment I have been tempted to switch majors but I have been scared to as I would like to know that I will have more options than to just teach. The clock is ticking and I cannot in this situation for the rest of my life. Thanks for any and all input
I don't see much of a difference as far as job prospects with either a history or political science degree. Neither are very much in demand. Many people think a political science degree will help get you a job in government. This is not true. A graduate degree in public administration is much more beneficial for getting a public sector job.

I have seen more demand for Spanish teachers. It would be advantageous to be bilingual in the business world but there are millions of Hispanics who are bilingual in English and Spanish.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:01 AM

I did look into that and yes you are right. In fact, I believe that as long as you have just a bachelors degree that you qualify for most city and government jobs with the managerial jobs being reserved for people with masters degrees in public administration.

I have seen more demand for spanish teachers as well. I think this is because everyone is told that unless you want to be a teacher, don't major in a foreign language. A recent report also came out showing that foreign languages was one of the lowest paid degrees so I think that might have also contributed to the recent down turn of people wanting to major in that field. The only thing is that I want a degree that will also prepare me for more than just teaching. Doesn't a degree in foreign language allow one just to teach?

Old 06-11-2012, 12:10 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,682,678 times
Quote:
I did look into that and yes you are right. In fact, I believe that as long as you have just a bachelors degree that you qualify for most city and government jobs with the managerial jobs being reserved for people with masters degrees in public administration.

I have seen more demand for spanish teachers as well. I think this is because everyone is told that unless you want to be a teacher, don't major in a foreign language. A recent report also came out showing that foreign languages was one of the lowest paid degrees so I think that might have also contributed to the recent down turn of people wanting to major in that field. The only thing is that I want a degree that will also prepare me for more than just teaching. Doesn't a degree in foreign language allow one just to teach?
You need an education major to teach. At some universities you also need a major in the content area. At others, you need a concentration, which is a few last courses.

I think any school that has a department of foreign languages, or any specific language, would offer a degree in that language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities