Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 08:24 PM

285 posts, read 1,207,495 times

Advertisements

I want to get a degree in TV/Film, but alot of people are who are graduating this year who have a degree in TV/Film and or other degrees Business Psychology etc, they have a degree but they dont have a job and most of them took student loans!

I graduated high school in 2010, I got into the school I wanted but it was out of state and was just to expensive so I stayed and went to a community college an technical community college if you will, but I only took 2 classes and I failed 1 so after that

I took a year off from school and worked but now I dont want to do it anymore I would like to go back to school and work at the same time for my general core classes

Should I transfer after I get my core classes or just get my core classes and then move to a city with TV/Film and intern and work my way up?

The only reason why Im going to college is because always always the economy always finds itself back where it was
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 09:45 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,175,709 times
well yea if youre gona fail out youre better off not going

Old 06-10-2012, 10:01 PM

250 posts, read 644,028 times
Credentials seem to matter more when times are tough.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,013,942 times
Well governamnt figure show 8.2% unemployent. Same figures show college raqduates at 3.5%. The there is the lifetie earnings which is mcyhigher.Of course payig abck a loan for a degree that only means middle class income can be not a wise chocie especailly when you entirely finace you living cost and actaul college cost.No different from finacing too much of anythig without saving really or work partime when needed to lower borrowing.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,707,841 times
If you truly think foregoing a degree is going to get you further professionally, by all means, give it a go.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:27 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,797,444 times
The Economy shall recover and your education will be much appreciated. You could always become accustomed to the lifestyle lack of education affords (good or bad). I will always elect education for the "Best Debt of a lifetime" award.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:39 PM

102,270 posts, read 108,324,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTy9 View Post
I want to get a degree in TV/Film, but alot of people are who are graduating this year who have a degree in TV/Film and or other degrees Business Psychology etc, they have a degree but they dont have a job and most of them took student loans!

I graduated high school in 2010, I got into the school I wanted but it was out of state and was just to expensive so I stayed and went to a community college an technical community college if you will, but I only took 2 classes and I failed 1 so after that

I took a year off from school and worked but now I dont want to do it anymore I would like to go back to school and work at the same time for my general core classes

Should I transfer after I get my core classes or just get my core classes and then move to a city with TV/Film and intern and work my way up?

The only reason why Im going to college is because always always the economy always finds itself back where it was
Finish your core classes at the community college. Then you can decide what to do. But keep in mind that it's an employer's market, there are so many people out of work that they can afford to be really picky, and only hire people with BA's. And that's what they're doing.

You didn't tell us what your economic situation is, nor where you live. Some state university systems have financial aid packages that don't involve loans. They can cover all expenses with a combination of federal grant aid, scholarships and work-study programs (UPenn is one of these, if you're a PA resident). Stanford University pays all tuition and living expenses for students with financial need, but I don't know if they offer film. Give us a little more info to go on. What film programs have you looked at? Does your state have one? Were you able to save any money the year you worked?

If you think you can move somewhere to take a film internship after just 2 years of college, you'll be disappointed. You'll find yourself competing with people who just got their BA's in film.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:20 AM

454 posts, read 1,244,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If you truly think foregoing a degree is going to get you further professionally, by all means, give it a go.
If you think getting a degree is going to get you a leg up in your industry then by all means, give it a go.

The bottom line is that degrees have no guarantee to anything. A degree is only worth something IF your employer is willing to give it some value. If he/she thinks its worth something then its worth it to have the degree. If they think otherwise then its worth nothing.

Its all relative to your situation to say the least. Some people value a degree while others could careless.

That's the bottom line. No right or wrong answer.

I would only get a degree if the industry I was in, "required" the degree. For example: teaching (government schools), engineering, CPA, doctors, lawyers etc. But even those fields are flooded with degreed people who can't get their leg in the door. Engineering, teaching, CPAs, lawyers are all super competitive fields. They want the best of the best. As I said, there is no guarantee to anything in life.

TV/Film? Pass on it.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:28 PM

18,741 posts, read 33,470,536 times
Media (film, TV, whatever) has always been a brutal competition for jobs, regardless of the economy). I worked in public TV in the 1970s (no degree, but passed an English test and a typing test) and people I knew slightly would call me at home at six in the morning to see if I could get them an interview, etc. It was like blood-letting to tell anyone where I worked. The station got hundreds of resumes every day.
I don't know what the answer is, but I'd never borrow a cent for a degree in media stuff. The chance of getting a job, never mind one that pays OK to pay the loans back, is very very small. Sorry to be a downer, but I know a lot of people who wanted to work in media or who did (now laid off).

Old 06-12-2012, 01:41 PM

11,413 posts, read 7,840,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This just became my standard repy for all the "college is worthless" posts.

Thanks TR!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities