Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:56 AM

919 posts, read 1,692,277 times

Advertisements

As suggested by the Mods, here is a SUNY/CUNY thread.

What do you guys think about the CUNY/SUNY systems, falls, positives, the strong ones, the weak ones and anything else you want to add.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 10:07 AM

88,661 posts, read 84,959,578 times
My daughter is at Albany, and very happy there.

She didn't start out there--in her freshman year she went to Fordham, which was much more expensive. She begged us to let her go there. I went back and asked for more financial aid, which they gave us, but it was still expensive. By the end of the first semester, she hated it (primarily because they switched their core curriculum that year after she had accepted) and had completely changed her major. Fordham was no longer good for what she wanted to study (languages), and UAlbany was one of the better schools in the region for that. She transferred to Albany and loves it there. She'll be a senior next year.

The downside is that last year, SUNY cut its language programs. Albany was the only school offering Russian, and now no SUNY does. But, she's taken advantage of their study abroad program, and she belongs to a few clubs and has been very involved with activities up there.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:13 AM

919 posts, read 1,692,277 times
I was looking at Albany, seems really nice and everyone I know that has gone there loves it but it doesn't have what i want to study lol

However, I know the study abroad is amazing when I went to visit Oneonta, they had all of the flags of the inter school study abroad locations and I was amazed.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:46 PM

11,652 posts, read 12,729,464 times
One thing that I have taken for granted with CUNY/SUNY is despite various cutbacks over the years, they really do offer a wide variety of studies on both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Now that I am sort of scouting graduate programs for the first time in quite a while, I never realized how many other state public universities have limited offerings, especially for the PhD.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:10 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,635,440 times
SO is an alum of University at Buffalo, and had a really good experience there.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:39 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,536,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My daughter is at Albany, and very happy there.

She didn't start out there--in her freshman year she went to Fordham, which was much more expensive. She begged us to let her go there. I went back and asked for more financial aid, which they gave us, but it was still expensive. By the end of the first semester, she hated it (primarily because they switched their core curriculum that year after she had accepted) and had completely changed her major. Fordham was no longer good for what she wanted to study (languages), and UAlbany was one of the better schools in the region for that. She transferred to Albany and loves it there. She'll be a senior next year.

The downside is that last year, SUNY cut its language programs. Albany was the only school offering Russian, and now no SUNY does. But, she's taken advantage of their study abroad program, and she belongs to a few clubs and has been very involved with activities up there.

MQ your post illustrates my point about SUNY schools - people from the NY/NJ metro area do not look down upon these schools, and there is a great deal of transfer FROM private schools TO SUNY schools, with happy results , and no loss of status.

The Queen has also dispelled yet another rumor - that "State Schools don't have study abroad programs". SUNY schools do!

The interesting thing is SUNY holds it self to a higher standard when it comes to curriculum changes. If one in matriculating, and a core requirement is changed, the student is not required to change mid-stream, and continues to adhere to the curriculum - core or otherwise that was in effect when they first matriculated.

So this would not have happened to your daughter at Albany.

In regard to Russian, Stony Brook University teaches Russian.

Both Fordham and Albany are good schools, but I think Albany is better. And more prestigious among the academic community.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
One thing that I have taken for granted with CUNY/SUNY is despite various cutbacks over the years, they really do offer a wide variety of studies on both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Now that I am sort of scouting graduate programs for the first time in quite a while, I never realized how many other state public universities have limited offerings, especially for the PhD.
True! We NYers and former NYers take this for granted.

That the local State U, will have a PhD program in a "pure" i.e. not applied field. History, Area Studies, Sociology. Psychology, English - they don't have them. And to be fair, the privates here don't either.

I want to return to school for my PhD, (or to complete my MA) but the offerings in my area are limited to Education, Nursing and counseling.

The closest would be Binghamton. Another fine SUNY school.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:56 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,635,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
MQ your post illustrates my point about SUNY schools - people from the NY/NJ metro area do not look down upon these schools, and there is a great deal of transfer FROM private schools TO SUNY schools, with happy results , and no loss of status.
True. SO transferred from a private school to UB.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
True. SO transferred from a private school to UB.
UB is yet another fine SUNY school and one of the four university centers.

This type of back and forth is normal in NY. May I ask from where your SO transferred?

Old 06-13-2012, 12:21 PM

I can't say very much about CUNY schools because my direct experience in this Century is limited.
Especially at the undergrad level.

At the graduate level City University is still a fine school. I know a few people who attended their recently and the academics are rigorous.

I can thank CUNY for educating several generations of my ancestors - One when Hunter was called The "New York City Training School for Women", and later; "New York City Normal School".(teacher's college) Three of my grandparents, two aunts, four uncles entered these hallowed halls, and emerged professionals in law, medicine and education.

I can thank CUNY, indirectly for imparting me, and by extension my children; with our love of learning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities