Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:54 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaladhar View Post
I'm so very lost @ this point... What should i do? Is it a good idea for me to directly go for a Ph.D degree in Psychology without doing a M.S. in Psychology? Is it even possible? Is yes, then what do U guys think?
Depends on the school. Some make you enroll in an MS program first, some don't. Check with the schools you want to go to.

If you're not prepared to invest the ~5ish years to get a doctoral degree, then I really wouldn't bother. You'll be facing extremely stiff competition (there are waaaaay too many psych majors for the actual demand) and stand a good chance of not working in the field if you don't go all the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 11:02 PM

18 posts, read 28,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
All of the PhD programs at the universities I mentioned in my post above only offer a PhD program. If accepted into the program, you can usually earn a master's degree in psychology while pursuing the PhD. There is no advantage to getting a master's degree in psychology first then trying to apply for a PhD because APA approved programs (American Psychological Association) usually only offer the PhD track and usually don't accept transfer credit for already having a master's degree. If you get a master's first at a seperate university it might actually take longer to get the PhD. Earning the master's while pursuing the PhD is the shorter way to go, it's approximately 5 years of graduate school. Look at the specific PhD programs that you are intereted in and their requirements.

It would also be very wise to do a lot of personal research before you make a decision. Personally visit with a few psychologists that already work in the field and get their input. If possible, spend time with a psychologist, shadowing them while they work so you can see what their work is like. Make sure it's the kind of work you really want to do. Psychology can be a rewarding career but it's not for everybody. It can be very emotionally draining and stressful. In my case, I spent 15 years in psychology at the master's degree level and burned out. Now I have no interest in that work at all and plan on pursuing another career. Make sure it's what you really want to do before you invest all the time and effort that will be required to become a psychologist.
Thank U for that outlook & suggestions, Dave. So, which major should i pick now? Which is in high demand in the states w.r.t. demand and high salaries? Any suggestions? Are U on Facebook?

Old 06-18-2012, 11:06 PM

18 posts, read 28,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Depends on the school. Some make you enroll in an MS program first, some don't. Check with the schools you want to go to.

If you're not prepared to invest the ~5ish years to get a doctoral degree, then I really wouldn't bother. You'll be facing extremely stiff competition (there are waaaaay too many psych majors for the actual demand) and stand a good chance of not working in the field if you don't go all the way.

Quite true, Jason... I'll think abt it & it's time to do some research again. Thank you for your suggestions and i would also appreciate it if U can suggest me the best majors that I could choose now considering the demand in the long-run and the high pays. Suggest me away.. Thanks

Old 06-19-2012, 11:50 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,030,205 times
Quote:
Thank U for that outlook & suggestions, Dave. So, which major should i pick now? Which is in high demand in the states w.r.t. demand and high salaries? Any suggestions? Are U on Facebook?
I can only advise you on careers in psychology. What I'm doing right now is outside the field of psychology and doesn't pay as much as my previous career, but it pays the bills so I'll probably stick with it for a while until I figure out my next career move. From what I've heard, some medical careers seem to be in fairly high demand and perhaps some computer technology related careers might be. However, I really don't know for sure what specific careers are in the highest demand right now or the ones that have the highest salaries. Perhaps someone else that has more knowledge about that can give you some helpful suggestions.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:24 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,546 times
Quote:
Wow, guys.. Thanks a lot everybody for your invaluable suggestions and ideas...U guys are the BEST

I'm so very lost @ this point... What should i do? Is it a good idea for me to directly go for a Ph.D degree in Psychology without doing a M.S. in Psychology? Is it even possible? Is yes, then what do U guys think?

I do love to talk to people, motivating them & helping them out..At the end of the day, i do want everyone to be happy and its my idea to have my own practice eventually but if i'll have to do both an M.S and a Ph.D to get there, then i'll be studying all my fricking life and i'm looking at 2-3years max. Is it all worth it, guys? That being said and if U still think that Psychology isn't cool for me then which major do U suggest for me considering the job opportunities & the high pay in the long-run?

I'll be waiting...
Kaladhar
If you know you want a PhD I would go straight for a PhD program. You can earn a masters along the way to your PhD (some programs have this as a requirement, others do not).

Most PhD programs only let you transfer 9-10 hours from an MA/MS program. So you would have essentially paid for and wasted 1.5 years of your life if the PhD is your end goal.

If you aren't sure then the MS route may be a possibility, until you decide.

If you want to stay in psychology and want a degree with better pay/job prospects I would recommend Industrial/Organizational Psychology. MS or PhD.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:16 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,091 times
If you don't mind taking some science and psychology prerequisites, occupational therapy might be a good option. You help patients improve their mental and physical condition so that they can better operate at work and with everyday living tasks. It's a high demand career and pays well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities