Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 04:34 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,287,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
is emerson strictly a film or arts school? yea a 3.2 is not great but its not something that will stop you from a meaningful career. i don't think grad school is the answer unless you have the money to play around with
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk510 View Post
It says it's a liberal arts school, but the classes are so easy to pass. May I ask about the nature of your college/career trajectory?
Emerson is a college that focuses on communications and visual/performing arts. I believe they only have one non-communications/visual/performing arts major offered. Jay Leno, David Leary, and Henry Winkler are alumni. So is the guy who wrote Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies and Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Killer. The school is in Boston, but there is satellite campus in LA.

I knew a good amount of kids who went to Emerson when I lived in Boston. They were all journalism majors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 11:29 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,278,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk510 View Post
Emerson Film Grad- Tell Me if I've Blown my Future
I couldn't figure out what was "wrong" with your initial post so I went back and re-read your OP.

NO ONE can tell you if you've blown your future.

It's obvious you've decided you shouldn't work in the film industry. Though several of us tried to get you to think about what else you could do within it, all we heard was what you cannot do. And with that attitude it will be very hard to make it in the industry. You have to want it with every fiber of your being to be a success in it.

No one will know what else you should do. That's your job to decide. Time to think about your abilities, what you already know, and what your medical limitations will allow you to do, what your interests are and go from there. You know those things better than anyone else. Good luck. I truly wish you the best.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:41 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,560,171 times
Most people in film really love it, and couldn't stop pursuing it if they tried. If you feel that you would be happier doing anything else, you don't love film enough. The people that make it continually build their skills, network all day every day, and never ever give up.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:56 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,171,304 times
The left out fact:

How much student loan debt do you have if any?

Old 07-16-2012, 12:03 PM

450 posts, read 1,409,883 times
Are you at Emerson's Los Angeles campus focused on film? Not to discourage you, but you have to work extra hard to network and get yourself out there. You have to be meeting the right people if you want a career in film. You are competing with graduates of UCLA and USC Film Schools as well, which are more prestigious schools, better known, and have more alumni in the industry. Then you have the smaller American Film Institute that is very respected. Get out there and meet people and show them your skills.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:12 PM

5 posts, read 11,155 times
I did meet some people in LA while I did the program, but I'm not in the shape I need to be to survive in LA, so I won't be moving there any time soon. My boss loved me, but even he said I was too introverted unless I showed some sort of talent that would attract an agent (which I'm really not sure I have, because professors who've told me I had it could've been just coddling me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities