Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 03:01 AM

3 posts, read 13,418 times

Advertisements

I'm 19 and live in Minneapolis. I'm hoping to get into the cinema program at the community college here. I want to move to LA two years from now and want to go to film school there while I try and get into the bussiness. I've looked at a few and LA Film School looks the best but I really would like someones opinion on where to go before going $42,000 in debt! I have tons of stories I want to tell through film and would love to eventually be a director. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 11:39 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,789,238 times
Have you thought about any East Coast options?

Old 06-27-2009, 02:48 PM

251 posts, read 768,118 times
are you sure on the idea of going to LA or are you willing to have your options open?

this website could give you a few pointers on your to do list for LA and pretty much anywhere else in the US.

studentfilms.com forum

good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajizzle_minneapolis View Post
I'm 19 and live in Minneapolis. I'm hoping to get into the cinema program at the community college here. I want to move to LA two years from now and want to go to film school there while I try and get into the bussiness. I've looked at a few and LA Film School looks the best but I really would like someones opinion on where to go before going $42,000 in debt! I have tons of stories I want to tell through film and would love to eventually be a director. Any ideas?

Old 06-30-2009, 12:30 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,874,176 times
From what I've heard, going to film school is a complete waste of time. Don't bother going.

Instead, focus on being an extra in the movies or making your own movies. Learn finalcut pro in your spare time, buy an HD video camera or animation software and start making some movies. Start simple. Tim Burton's first work was only 6 minutes long and was based on a poem.

just stick to the community college and start from there. When you transfer, don't bother going to a university what you need to go to is vocational school. I know how here in CA the big one is California Institute of the Arts which was basically started by the Walt Disney Company in the 1960s. Maybe talk with the others in the program and see what their plans are. Maybe someone owns a studio and that person needs help. Maybe someone is making their own movie and they need an assistant. Thats how it all starts.

however thinking that you need zyx degree from xyz film school is going to get you in the field - don't count on it. I am sure there are hundreds of people with such degrees.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:53 PM

3 posts, read 13,418 times
Thanks alot man thats exactly what I was starting to think. I think even if it dosen't mean anything to have a diploma or college education in film it will be the place to get connects and experience on independant projects.

Spot on dude.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:04 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,756,432 times
Keep in mind that even if you don't need a degree (and I don't know enough about the industry to weigh in on that) you will need to the basic skills to be able to communicate well in a business environment. A basic liberal education will also expose you to new ideas and ways of thinking. No, you don't necessarily need school for that, but it sure can help. You could start by getting some basic classes out of the way at a community college in Minneapolis, and then have the option of transferring to either a BA program or a more specialized program. Whatever happens, community college courses don't usually cost much, and you'll probably find them more than worth it from both a career and a personal perspective.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:13 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,357,401 times
IMO, you don't need a degree to make movies, but going to a well respected film school can help you make connections w/ people who will help you get those films made. when looking at film schools, you should look at who your professors are going to be. are they professionals in the business? are they currently working in the field? get on a prof's good side and you may create connections that will get you further ahead than those w/o that connection. how much those connections are worth is up to you (is it worth patying $$$ for a 4 year art/film school?). you may be able to create those connections outside the college world w/ enough networking and by submitting your work to local film contests/festivals. either way, you'll need to put in the legwork; simply having a great idea isn't enough

Old 07-01-2009, 04:30 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,789,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
IMO, you don't need a degree to make movies, but going to a well respected film school can help you make connections w/ people who will help you get those films made. when looking at film schools, you should look at who your professors are going to be. are they professionals in the business? are they currently working in the field? get on a prof's good side and you may create connections that will get you further ahead than those w/o that connection. how much those connections are worth is up to you (is it worth patying $$$ for a 4 year art/film school?). you may be able to create those connections outside the college world w/ enough networking and by submitting your work to local film contests/festivals. either way, you'll need to put in the legwork; simply having a great idea isn't enough
Exactly what I had in mind.

I have several friends who are in my school's recently-launched cinema program (as opposed to the more general "Film" program). They all complain about the program and how they would much rather be enrolled in another program within the school but they all say one thing: they wouldn't dare drop the program because they realize how valuable it is in terms of networking and making connections in the industry. The director of the program "acclaimed" filmmaker and being in the program allows the direct exposure to the US' largest French Film Festival.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:56 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I think this is right on. My daughter is going to North Carolina School of the Arts, starting this fall. She is in the film program, interested in editing. Every time we have talked or read things from (OK, now it is UNC School of the Arts) they focus on profs that have been in the industry and the ALUMNI Connections. In fact, just last night I talked with my daughter ( who is pretty smart, but not as smart as she thinks) about success at NCSA would depend on networking, building close ties, working together, and meeting alums. Just academic success would result in ZILCH.

So, I am kinda agreeing with both sides. Strictly speaking, I don't think the pure academics are going to put you over the top. BUT, it is the contacts, exposure, and your schools rep that will really help, and you can't get these buying a camera and clicking or shooting away.

Good luck to all.

lln

Old 07-04-2009, 09:29 PM

4 posts, read 21,726 times
I don't know how much help I'll be since this fall I'm going to be a freshman at the School of Visual Arts but here's my input:

Anyways, LA Film school is a joke because it's also partnered with Full Sail "university" (also known as "Full Scam") and when you leave those programs you just receive a certificate which is useless because you also have few to none contacts.

The film industry is all about networking and who you know. If there's a movie filming near you try to be an extra and just get the feel of being onset (and a plus is you make some easy cash!). Definitely submit some films to festivals and keep on writing.

It's kinda pricey but consider transferring to USC which is one of the top film schools or maybe NYU. I'm sure they can definitely get you some great internships that can set you on the right foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities