Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:19 PM

5 posts, read 11,122 times

Advertisements

Emerson Film Grad- Tell Me if I've Blown my Future

So, hey guys, I am graduating Emerson College with a BA in Film Production after 3 years of study as an Honors Program participant. Due to a combination of laziness, and a debilitating skin disease + severe Bipolar 1 both rearing their heads in college, I will be graduating with a 3.2 GPA and no real technical skills (I have participated in many film shoots, but never built up the necessary experience/interest to be entrusted with high-level creative jobs).

Also, the only reason I will be graduating in 3 years is because my school allowed me to easily bypass many classes, including all math courses. Also, most of my classes at Emerson were very easy and taught few actual skills.
I have had one successful internship in LA and worked on a feature film there as well, but given my newfound knowledge of my medical conditions I now know that sustaining a sleep-depriving creative career on film sets is not in the works for me. I must give up my delusions of becoming a hit auteur director/writer, because I simply haven't laid the amount of groundwork my peers and many others I've met in the industry have. I want to change to a more stable field and start anew.

I want to turn my life around, and for once stop playing a victim and give it my all. I have gotten good marks with half-assery and poor time management all my life, and it looks like it's all finally caught up to me. I'd like to ask everyone here, what hope do I have left of attaining a creative and/or fulfilling career? What steps can I take to ensure that I'll get into a decent grad school or business school from here on out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 05:36 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,014 times
is emerson strictly a film or arts school? yea a 3.2 is not great but its not something that will stop you from a meaningful career. i don't think grad school is the answer unless you have the money to play around with

Old 07-09-2012, 06:34 PM

It says it's a liberal arts school, but the classes are so easy to pass. May I ask about the nature of your college/career trajectory?

Old 07-09-2012, 07:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk510 View Post
Emerson Film Grad- Tell Me if I've Blown my Future

I have had one successful internship in LA and worked on a feature film there as well,
I'm impressed that you've done that much at your age.

How did you get those gigs? Do you have connections you can use in other parts of production? Not every job in the industry entails getting up at 4am. It sounds like you already know that connections are important. If you want to stay in film production work them.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:42 PM

It's not the getting up I fear, it's the crazy overtime that might once again trigger my psoriasis or my mania. Then I'd be screwed. I think connections are definitely important, and I've never been particularly disliked by anyone despite being introverted. Do you yourself work in film?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:48 PM

550 posts, read 1,356,305 times
you can always try working for many of the youtube production companies while working another job. I'm not familiar with film and theater but it seems like knowing the right people is more important than being decent at it. There are so many people who want to be in film/film production.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:58 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk510 View Post
It says it's a liberal arts school, but the classes are so easy to pass. May I ask about the nature of your college/career trajectory?
i doubt it would help you much, but i was an econ major with little direction. after i graduated i just made my work study research job full time and screwed around for a year or so. then i thought i was interested in law school so i worked in the legal field for a year (in a sort of financial capacity working with tax data for claims), then i decided that was a bad call so i looked for another job and found the job i have now back in the financial sector. i think id like to eventually be an actuary. i did not have a stellar gpa either and it hasn't held me back. my job now did require a 3.0 but mine is above that. my laziness and lack of direction has definitely held me back though lol.

your thread sparked my interest bc my boyfriend majored in film. he has struggled to find a relevant job and has been underemployed since he graduated in 2010. his gpa is much worse than yours though as his school (i think). plus his laziness is out of control, at least IMO haha. i think your main struggle right now will be finding something else you are interested in. i don't think you're screwed as there are many careers that only require a bachelor's in general, but i do think that a lack of direction will be a problem.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:49 PM

Wow, it's cool that you figured out what you wanted to do after working a while. Are you happy with your current job? I just want to be happy.

What kind of jobs did your boyfriend get when he did get work, and how does he stay afloat these days? I'm so scared of falling into a lazy trap after college, especially given my lack of marketable skills. Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely work on finding a direction!

Old 07-14-2012, 04:17 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,735,648 times
A key to getting a start in "film" is NETWORKING. What kind of jobs do Emerson grads have? Is the almuni network strong or weak. You generally need an "in." Once you get started on films, if you do a good job with the grunt work, regardless of degree, you will be pursued for other work. After a while, it will be full time, and can be lucrative.

But, the key is to get the first or second chance to show your stuff.

Find out about alumni in the industry, and don't be shy. You cannot afford to be.

Good Luck.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:24 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,836,735 times
I'd say the first thing you should do is focus on getting better. If you're not in good health, your career will suffer.

As LLN has stated, you're in an industry that is literally dog-eat-dog. You have to be actively promoting yourself every single day, setting yourself apart from people who are fighting for the same position as you. If you can't network efficiently, you're in the wrong industry.

About the degree. As long as you have it, a 3.2 really isn't that bad. You will be able to get into a decent grad school and even a good business school. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities