Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 02:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,116,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djklmnop View Post
Can anyone tell me what this means? I can understand how it would make sense when the course relates to say humanities, American history, etc. Given this was the only class available, I don't have any other choice, but I am just wondering what to expect.
Just a guess of course, but I would think that the faculty member offering the class or an advisor at the school where this class is being taught might be a good place to inquire about the course content.

But then like I said, it is only a guess because surely there are more than enough people on an anonymous forum who can give you advice about an anonymous class, at an anonymous school, taught by an anonymous faculty member.

Normally I would think you a troll, but since you are returning to school after some time off I will just chalk this up to the absences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 02:29 PM

9,389 posts, read 13,052,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I agree with some of your post -- i.e., there definitely are professors who will just want students to agree with them and parrot back on papers/exams what they told students in class -- but just because there's the notation "taught from a black perspective" doesn't necessarily mean the OP will get one of those professors (and "those professors" can be found in all disciplines and are from all political persuasions).

Even a professor who teaches, say, Shakespeare from a Marxist perspective, won't necessarily be trying to convert all students to Marxism (as if he/she could! ). For example, when I teach Marx in my theory classes, I don't expect students to love Marx, but I DO expect them to engage with his ideas.

And as an aside, a survey course is ALWAYS taught from "some perspective." If that perspective is the "mainstream," it's often not SEEN as having a perspective, but of course it still DOES. No position is "perspectiveless."

To the OP: why not just call the English department and ask what they meant? I think it could be an interesting class. College should open you up to new ideas -- YOU DON'T HAVE TO AGREE WITH THEM, and the best professors won't expect you to! They just ask that you ENGAGE with them.
If you've never firsthand witnessed/heard horror stories about professors punishing their students for disagreeing with them you're either incredibly lucky or just plain blind. It's good that you let students come to their own conclusions/share their viewpoints without reprisal, but not all professors are so kind.

And as I said before, a proper survey course will examine a variety of perspectives. Ideally, you'll get a different guest lecturer every week. That's what my university did.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:18 PM

7 posts, read 8,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Just a guess of course, but I would think that the faculty member offering the class or an advisor at the school where this class is being taught might be a good place to inquire about the course content.

But then like I said, it is only a guess because surely there are more than enough people on an anonymous forum who can give you advice about an anonymous class, at an anonymous school, taught by an anonymous faculty member.

Normally I would think you a troll, but since you are returning to school after some time off I will just chalk this up to the absences.
No trolling. Its a serious question. Here is the class link:

San Diego Community College District - Class Schedule Details

Old 07-20-2012, 03:25 PM

102,260 posts, read 108,277,635 times
Quote:
That's what I'm trying to figure out. If it is intended for a specific group or if its teaching the writings of black writers, poets, etc.
There must be a course description in the course catalogue. I think it would be educational to view literature from the perspective of an "out" group. Just because you're not Black doesn't mean you couldn't learn to analyze literature from a different perspective. Are you up for trying something new, and learning how a marginalized group views the world? If so, dive in. If not, take English next semester.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:01 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,116,850 times
[quote=djklmnop;25262539]No trolling. Its a serious question. Here is the class link:

From you link:

This course is designed for transfer-level students or for those who want to develop competence in college level reading and composition. Students read, analyze, discuss and think critically using a variety of works and sources. Based on these activities, students write essays, fully documented research projects, and other types of texts for various purposes and audiences. This written work, which demonstrates effective, logical, and precise expression of ideas, totals at least 6000 graded words. Designated sections of this course may be taught from a specific cultural perspective. (FT). Associate Degree Credit & transfer to CSU. UC Transfer Course List.

This appears to be a basic reading, critical thinking and writing course that many colleges have adapted in order to ensure that students are capable of reading for comprehension, critically analyzing what they have read and are capable of putting their analysis down on paper in a cogent manner. In order to make what is essentially an remedial english comp course interesting, the instructor uses some topical subject matter. In the case of this particular class, the instructor may use the writings of African American authors whose material expresses some idea or theme from an African American's point of view. You might be asked to read the works of James Baldwin, Ralph Ellison or Toni Morrison, critically analyze their thoughts and write about what you thought.

PS - the Ivy league instituted these types of required remedial english classes for all incoming freshman and disguised them as being "Freshmen Seminars". They were in fact remedial writing courses based upon a whole slew of topics from the sublime to the ridiculous. The topic didn't matter, it was a matter of ensuring that students possessed critical reading and writing skills.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:19 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,392,493 times
^^ I agree with what Ovcatto said... Based on the course description it seems like the literary works of African American authors. I've had courses like that before, and they were very eye-opening.
Of course, the only way to know for sure is to email the prof and ask.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:16 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,422,270 times
Default A perspective defined by depth

Quote:
I am attending college again for the first time in so many years. Only now, there are so many technological changes. Thank goodness for online class registration and no more punching in class codes over the phone.

I was looking through the list of open classes for English 101 and the remaining class available to fit my schedule had a footnote that said "Taught from a black perspective".

Can anyone tell me what this means? I can understand how it would make sense when the course relates to say humanities, American history, etc. Given this was the only class available, I don't have any other choice, but I am just wondering what to expect.
It means that you will be getting a perspective from a vantage point of people who are given the least consideration in this society, people who must have significantly more depth, far greater versatility, and overcome tremendous adversity, to get half as much in this society. It therefore promises to be a life-changing class for you. I would highly recommend it to expand your horizons and view things from a broader, yet deeper perspective. Should be interesting to say the least.

It doesn't mean that some ex-black panther is going to stand there and spew hatred and anger against "the man."

Old 07-20-2012, 08:14 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,869,370 times
"To the OP: why not just call the English department and ask what they meant? I think it could be an interesting class. College should open you up to new ideas -- YOU DON'T HAVE TO AGREE WITH THEM, and the best professors won't expect you to! They just ask that you ENGAGE with them."

Yea right, too many horror stories (including a couple of my own) show that when it comes to some professors, better just agree and get on with your life.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,251,013 times
It means you're going to read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and explore Jim and his life. And how it influenced his relationship with Huck.

I'd take that class in a heartbeat.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:50 PM

506 posts, read 1,162,629 times
Quote:
I am attending college again for the first time in so many years. Only now, there are so many technological changes. Thank goodness for online class registration and no more punching in class codes over the phone.

I was looking through the list of open classes for English 101 and the remaining class available to fit my schedule had a footnote that said "Taught from a black perspective".

It just means that every sentence ends with "yo, aight, know what I'm saying!"

On a serious note. What's the name of your college? Is it a 4 year university?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities