Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 05:52 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,363,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by writingmachine View Post
It does really depend on where you go to school. At my school it's about 50/50. Such a big percentage that we have a special office and department dedicated specifically to commuter students. I'm a commuter myself and I love it. With tuition and car expenses it's going to be about $10,000 for the year as opposed to $20,000 had I decided to dorm. The choice was very obvious for my parents and I to decide, especially if $10,000 can be saved. I'm not one bit sad that I won't be dorming. I've had the experience of dorming before, but never again. Plus, when my peers and I graduate I won't be in nearly as much debt as most of them will be, so I look at this as a positive too.

I'm surprised as well that you're not able to live on campus considering you say your finances aren't the best. Have you exhausted all of your options? Definitely talk with the financial aid department at school and figure out all of your options if you haven't already. If you're really set on dorming then try your best to make it happen and do what's best for yourself. If you need to commute for the first semester I don't think it will be the end of the world. I promise that I don't think you're abnormal for commuting if it helps at all
Where do you go to school that room and board is $20,000??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 09:48 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,963,725 times
Quote:
With tuition and car expenses it's going to be about $10,000 for the year as opposed to $20,000 had I decided to dorm. The choice was very obvious for my parents and I to decide, especially if $10,000 can be saved. I'm not one bit sad that I won't be dorming. I've had the experience of dorming before, but never again. Plus, when my peers and I graduate I won't be in nearly as much debt as most of them will be, so I look at this as a positive too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Where do you go to school that room and board is $20,000??
I'm reading that as $10,000 for tuition and $10,000 for room and board for the entire year.

Where our son is going to school, freshmen are required to be on campus unless you submit to them a reason for not needing to - which I believe can only be that you are "x" amount of miles from home. If we had chosen that route we would have qualified, but our son's personality, etc..... it would not have been good for him to be at home. He needs to get away.

We also sat in on a panel where a few engineering students had opted to live at home and after a month asked to move on to campus - it was too hard to not be right there.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:41 PM

16 posts, read 140,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I'm reading that as $10,000 for tuition and $10,000 for room and board for the entire year.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear the first time.

Tuition: $8,500/yr
Car Expenses: $1,500/yr
Total: $10,000/yr commuting

Dorming on campus has become expensive since renovations were completed on most of the dorms.

Dorm room: $9,500/yr
Basic Meal Plan: $1,500/yr
Items for dorm room: $500.00
Total: $11,500

If I chose to dorm it would be:

Tuition:$8,500/yr
Dorm Room: $9,500/yr
Basic meal plan: $1,500/yr
Items for dorm: $500.00
Total: $20,000/yr as opposed to $10,000/yr commuting. This is where the extra $10,000 comes from in the expenses.

I hope this makes a little more sense.

Last edited by writingmachine; 08-13-2012 at 06:12 PM..

Old 08-14-2012, 07:52 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,363,892 times
Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear the first time.

Tuition: $8,500/yr
Car Expenses: $1,500/yr
Total: $10,000/yr commuting

Dorming on campus has become expensive since renovations were completed on most of the dorms.

Dorm room: $9,500/yr
Basic Meal Plan: $1,500/yr
Items for dorm room: $500.00
Total: $11,500

If I chose to dorm it would be:

Tuition:$8,500/yr
Dorm Room: $9,500/yr
Basic meal plan: $1,500/yr
Items for dorm: $500.00
Total: $20,000/yr as opposed to $10,000/yr commuting. This is where the extra $10,000 comes from in the expenses.

I hope this makes a little more sense.
I see your numbers now but how accurate are they. If you figure just gas, your numbers show you will drive a total of 40 miles/month--are you sure that is all you will pay in "car expenses"? Do you not plan to eat at home? How about electric bills, etc. Commuting usually isn't that much less expensive then living on campus if you figure in all the costs. I know when our last 2 go off to college out food bill alone will get cut in half, not to mention water, electric costs, etc.

As for the "items for the dorm". YOu probably have everything you need at home so that is $500 you don't need to spend. I would run the numbers again and include wear and tear on the car, extra oil changes, tires, etc.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:12 PM

9,368 posts, read 13,034,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I see your numbers now but how accurate are they. If you figure just gas, your numbers show you will drive a total of 40 miles/month--are you sure that is all you will pay in "car expenses"? Do you not plan to eat at home? How about electric bills, etc. Commuting usually isn't that much less expensive then living on campus if you figure in all the costs. I know when our last 2 go off to college out food bill alone will get cut in half, not to mention water, electric costs, etc.

As for the "items for the dorm". YOu probably have everything you need at home so that is $500 you don't need to spend. I would run the numbers again and include wear and tear on the car, extra oil changes, tires, etc.
A good midway alternative is getting an apartment close to campus and cooking your own meals. Dorm room/board is often quite expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities