Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:15 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I think the NP for Non-Nurses is a great option for those who already have a Bachelors. I never heard of it until this post, so I had to do a little research on it. I'm really glad I did! I'm a therapist with an MA in counseling and have thought about going back to become a Psych NP. Not sure I could do the program as I'm about maxed out on student loans, but it's nice to know it's there.

BTW, being an RN is much different than being an NP (this is for those who said that the OP may not even like nursing).
This is what I researched as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 11:52 PM

69 posts, read 268,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
From what they've told me it's extremely competitive and you have to almost know someone at the hospital to get a job.
"Knowing someone" to get a job is always the number one on the list. All the others just tail it.

It is not really what you know because the companies will still train you on how they want the job to be done no matter what your background is.

It is who you know.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:59 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,292 times
Quote:
I think the NP for Non-Nurses is a great option for those who already have a Bachelors. I never heard of it until this post, so I had to do a little research on it. I'm really glad I did! I'm a therapist with an MA in counseling and have thought about going back to become a Psych NP. Not sure I could do the program as I'm about maxed out on student loans, but it's nice to know it's there.

BTW, being an RN is much different than being an NP (this is for those who said that the OP may not even like nursing).
It's not a "NP for Non-Nurses". The OP is referring to an accelerated MSN program for non-BSN graduates. There are several tracks in a master's program; she thinks advanced practice is the route for her. One must be a currently licensed RN in good standing in order to be an APRN and while years of practice experience as a RN may not be statistically significant in the certification examination pass rate, it makes a world of difference in patient care. Y'all be sweet.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:21 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,554 times
Have you been on the allnurses website? You can get a ton of info on there. Well the good thing is there is a shortage of APRNs. I say you keep doing your research on schools and specialties, shadow a nurse at a hospital, and start taking those pre-reqs you need at a community college. Here is a nursing education website that has a list of accelerated programs. American Association of Colleges of Nursing | Accelerated Baccalaureate and Master's Degrees in Nursing

Old 08-17-2012, 08:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:

That would be me. OK, I'll phrase it a little differently. The OP may not like working in health care. I recommend some shadowing of a NP, or at least talking to some.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:15 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That would be me. OK, I'll phrase it a little differently. The OP may not like working in health care. I recommend some shadowing of a NP, or at least talking to some.
Nah, it was me Sometimes I get sucked into those conversations. against my better judgement.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Nah, it was me Sometimes I get sucked into those conversations. against my better judgement.
Maybe it was both of us. The same thing happens to me! But since we are both nurses, perhaps it's good advice!

Old 08-17-2012, 03:12 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,397 times
I appreciate everyone's advice. I've been doing research trying to decide what would be the best route. Obviously I've never been a nurse before so I don't know if I will enjoy it until I've done it. NP are different but they still involve patient care. Either way nursing school-whether it's accelerated or a master non-nursing entry program will be rigorous. I did decent in science in college and high school(b's and a's) but I'd be lying if I said it was my strongest subject. All of these factors are weighing on the decision I make. Where I live, the healthcare industry is big. The biggest employers are hospitals or health care organizations, IT is big as well.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:00 PM

635 posts, read 539,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
I went to an information session at Vanderbilt yesterday for their advanced NP program. I'm not a nurse currently and I do not have a nursing background. Anyway the information session was very helpful. The program is very competitive and seems like an excellent program. I'm debating however on if it's the right route for me. While Vanderbilt is a great school, the program itself will be $150,000 for me in student loans. I have less than $20k in undergrad loans. The "so" has no loans(schooling was paid by the military). We have a child. I don't know how I feel about taking out that much in loans for school. It just seems excessive. I'm going to apply anyway, however I'm wondering just how much the school's name masters in the nursing world? I know that in certain fields(business, law, etc) where you go to has a huge impact on job placement. I assume the same is for nursing, however I'm not sure. Does it matter where I go? Does anyone know of any more "affordable" NP programs?
My sister just got her NP degree, lots of student debt, and not a whole lot of jobs for NPs - she's still just a regular nurse (making 60 bucks an hour, though).

I hope you're researching this a lot. Indeed, when my son was in the hospital a few months ago, one of his nurses was an NP who decided to stay a regular nurse. The income isn't that much better for NPs, but more responsibility and of course that means more liability (malpractice insurance, etc).

There are also physician's assistants, not sure if that has a more rosy outlook.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:05 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
My sister just got her NP degree, lots of student debt, and not a whole lot of jobs for NPs - she's still just a regular nurse (making 60 bucks an hour, though).

I hope you're researching this a lot. Indeed, when my son was in the hospital a few months ago, one of his nurses was an NP who decided to stay a regular nurse. The income isn't that much better for NPs, but more responsibility and of course that means more liability (malpractice insurance, etc).

There are also physician's assistants, not sure if that has a more rosy outlook.
The pay on average is much better. Using one example to draw a conclusion is poor logic. NP's and PA's have it pretty good right now. There are plenty of quality state schools that don't cost much and have great success placing graduates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities