Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 07:21 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,182 times

Advertisements

I guess it depends on the major and the cost of the degree. Figure out the costs vs salary. Will he need loan...how much? Will the job pay enough to justify the costs? Will he be able to afford to pay loans on the salary? Are they hiring in the field he is interested in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 08:01 AM

308 posts, read 896,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
And to GET that career, you often need to get an education!
correction: you ALWAYS need an education.

nowadays a basic bachelors degree is the bare minimum to show to the society that you have your sh*t together...

Old 08-10-2012, 08:22 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
He can look at an MSW if he wants to get back into social work.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:24 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
My husband hasn't had much luck with jobs since he immigrated here from England a few years ago. Now he want to go to school, but not sure for what yet.

Sometimes I wonder if it's worth getting into all this debt and still not being able to possibly find a job or maybe it would be better to start a home business of some sort.

Has anyone been in this situation? Did you go through with getting a degree?
My grandfather went to college for the first time while in his 40s. He got a two-year degree and landed a good job with the local city government. He loved college, by the way, and ended up taking at least course a semester all the way up until his end. He was currently taking a Spanish course when he died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I'm 19. I did one semester of college and dropped out. I know I'll get bashed for that but I don't really care. I just think that 45 is like that point in your life where you should already be well into some sort of career, whether you like it or hate it. My dad's only like 43 and he never graduated HS or went to college and he wanted to go back to school but he couldn't even pass the entrance exams for the local university.

I mean really, isn't the 45 year old mind more career-oriented than college-oriented?
Yes, one should be more career orientated at 45, however, going back to college at 45 is about career. I've been through college at the traditional college age (18-24) and then again in my 30s. Both times I have seen plenty of young bucks who, despite having a declared major, realistically have no idea what they want to do after college let alone any idea of why they are currently in college other than "that is what people do after high school". While there are plenty of 40, 50, and 60 somethings who are taking a course or two for "personal enrichment", everyone else in college at that age is in college for a specific, concrete, reason: to change or advance their career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Right, all I'm saying is at 45 you should be out of the "should I go to college?" mode and just be pushing your name and promoting yourself to get into what you really want to do. Does he even have an undergrad degree or does he want to start from scratch?
While "pushing your name" is a part of the game, unfortunately it is not enough. Many, many, people find that hit a ceiling and the only way to move higher is to get a higher degree, certificate, or other additional training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
"Colleges will sometimes also give you credit for life experience."- Uhh, no.
No, it is true, but it totally depends on what the "life experience" is. It has to be in someway related.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:58 AM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Yes, I do.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:03 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,991 times
You can go now. Or you can go later. Or not at all.

I started my BS at 33, finished at 41. Loved every moment. (Well, there were a few exams that made me cry...)

Old 08-10-2012, 05:19 PM

72 posts, read 224,742 times
I think the more pressing issue is that how many companies are going to want to hire a guy in his late 40s/early 50s that just got his degree? Having one is of course better than not having one, but age discrimination is alive and well in the slim job market right now and that's not going to change any time soon. It may end up that this poor guy wastes a bunch of time and money only to never receive any call-backs simply because of his age.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:46 PM

547 posts, read 939,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2204 View Post
I think the more pressing issue is that how many companies are going to want to hire a guy in his late 40s/early 50s that just got his degree? Having one is of course better than not having one, but age discrimination is alive and well in the slim job market right now and that's not going to change any time soon. It may end up that this poor guy wastes a bunch of time and money only to never receive any call-backs simply because of his age.
I ran into a substitute teacher at a school I was at who said she was fully certified who couldn't find a job, and she was in her early to mid 40's. She got certified in a neighboring school district but couldn't get hired because there were very few openings. She was subbing at the school district where I was subbing and stated she knew people (principals, teachers) but couldn't get hired on as a teacher and told me geting certified was a waste of time for her. She had been certified for two years when she talked to me. I think with her being her age places didn't want to hire her and wanted younger people instead. Sad tale.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2204 View Post
If he starts now, he can have either a master's or another bachelor's by age 46-47. Age discrimination is more a thing in one's later 50s. Trust me on that. BTDT.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:56 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzrOrange View Post
yes, it is absolutely worth getting a degree! he won't get any smarter by not getting one, thats for sure.
may be it is not necessery to go the best school possible at this point, but having a degree always helps. if anything, it will boost his chances to get a job interview later down the road.
Blanket statements are rarely safe to make. Without knowing more about the OP, it's simply imposible to say whether it's worth it to the OP's SO to get a degree. And, no, having a degree doesn't always help. It absolutely depends on the field and many other factors.

To the OP, as some of the others have said, it really depends on the field he intends to pursue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities