Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 06:39 PM

285 posts, read 1,207,247 times

Advertisements

Dont even be negative because im going to fight to be in my dream career

I want to be a casting director for television, indie films and commercials, if not I still want to be in the casting field. Alot of colleges also film colleges dont teach casting! The best way is to intern and interning is CRUCIAL!

Ive graduated high school in 2010 and then that Fall I went to a community technical college I took 2 classes I passed one and then failed the other. So I took a break from Jan 2011 until now, but I was working during 2011 and Im still working its just at a different place now.

But now Ive enrolled and started college classes again but Im taking 3 learning support classes which means its the lowest class grade you can take and its preparing you for on level core classes and they are all web classes which makes me feel alot better (sarcasm)

All this and Im planning to get a Associates Degree in TV production

BTW Ive taken Broadcast Video Production in my sophomore junior and senior year in high school

What should I do?
Plan A
should I keep going to school and keep working and saving until 2014 to move to LA to intern at a casting agency

or

Plan B
should I just drop out and work at my job at the grocery store and save money WHILE trying to find a casting agency where I can intern there part time and then eventually move to LA, so that I would at least have some experience working in a casting agency

Im going to be honest school is not my forte, not to mention I have ADD and a learning disability the only reason why I think I should stay is so I can work on my english grammar skills and reading! Plus it would be cool for me to graduate from college and whatever Im down I can always think that ive made it during college!

I just dont want to waste my time there having earning a associates degree, while being out in LA and my resume is associate degree in TV production while others may have a Bachelors in TV/Film or etc plus even if I didnt go to college or have gone to college Im still going to have to to the same work and that is a PA (production assistant)

Plus when you are going into the entertainment industry its hard to figure out what to do for education because you have a lot of producers and directors that require you to go to college, and you have a lot of producers and directors say that its waste of time and money and that you would start off in the same position as a person with a degree in film or
So what should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 08:02 PM

22,642 posts, read 47,813,230 times
Read this and see if you have the skill set...

Casting Director - Skillset

And, from http://entertainment.howstuffworks.c...-director2.htm (bold emphasis mine)

Education

To understand the industry, you'll probably want to study at a two- or four-year college that offers classes in film and theater arts, such as acting and directing, as well as business management. Casting directors need to know how to negotiate contracts and understand the complexities of working with union employees.

You should also take acting classes. Casting director Kim Petrosky notes in the book "100 Careers in Film and Television" that acting classes will help you understand actors and the acting process, recognize talent and put actors at ease for better audition performances. In fact, starting as an actor can lead to a career as a casting director
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities